• April 26, 2024, 12:48:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: introducing myself and my project  (Read 906 times)

kcsimcoe

• View Profile
introducing myself and my project
« on: August 02, 2009, 02:47:19 AM »

Hello all, I've been reading posts for a few weeks and have gotten started on my conversion.  It's actually for a grad school project so I'll probably be asking a lot of questions about formulas and techy stuff.  My conversion is a 1990 Ninja ZX-6, I picked it up without the ICE for $400 sold other stuff off of it for $50, straight frame, good plastics.  I'm also on Elmoto.com soaking up knowledge there so this is the same intro I used there.

So far I have a GE series wound 72 volt DC motor for it, I picked it up for $50 (rusty and dusty) but I dissassembled it, cleaned it and it seems to work great with 12v. test I put on it).  It's a 6.7" dia and weighs 57 lbs, I don't know much else because the plate data is ground down so all I have is the numbers, can anyone give me a clue as to what they mean?  I'm pretty sure but not positive, attached is a picture of it.  I'm most curious about HP and amperage.  emailed a couple of GE motor contacts and they claimed they couldn't find the number in any databases, I'm not sure how old it is, I think it should be plenty powerful enough because the guy I bought it from said it WAS powering a volkswagen EV.

other pieces are alltrax 7245, Magura throttle, 72v-12v. converter, kilovac 200 contactor so far

I'm trying to figure out how to mount this pig of a motor so I can figure out my battery space.  Looking at 6 x 12v batteries, I'd love a set of yellow tops but out of my budget, I want to keep it cheap at around $50 a battery, any ideas on this?
thanks

chris
kansas city, MO

« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:49:14 AM by kcsimcoe »

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: introducing myself and my project
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:49:59 PM »

Welcome, thanks for posting! Looking forward to seeing your progress. Might want to check out the Homebrew section, lot's of good tech info there.
Pages: [1]