• April 25, 2024, 03:03:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What I would call a "High Amperage, Racing, pmg 132 brush carrier" for an Agni  (Read 2321 times)

Camresearch

• View Profile

My experimental carrier for an Agni, in the photo attached. 

This was made from copper water pipes, bent to shape and hard wired to the bus bars, the purpose is dual, one to take current to the tip of the brush and secondly to cool the whole system, as a heatsink.  The brushes are PMG 132 , which offer greater contact area than a rectangular brush does, these match the commutator better and are physically stronger and slower wearing.  The copper brush carrier tubes carry current right up as close to the commutator as possible.  That is shown by the older brush at the front of the four... That one is being used to measure the tube to commutator clearance, it has no spring, just a half melted pigtail on it.  The others are good brushes. The back sides of the brushes measure 4.5 mm wide instead of the 2 mm of the rectangular originals, that should give you an idea of scale of the tube to commutator gap.  I made the tubes tight and then ground them to their final planes and clearances. 

There are two temperature sensors on it, one for each polarity during bench tests and one for the bike and one for the rider during actual operation.  The only other improvement that comes to mind, would have been to use an old car door central locking actuator, to provide an "on the fly" advance function, like an overdrive.

The copper carrier tubes are potted into the old carrier using "Dynasteel" a high temperature epoxy putty, that can take 260°C and live and the copper can take far, far more, the original Bakelite is useless. If this one melts, burns and smokes, then something is really wrong... since it can take the heat of being soldered.

Cheers,
Cam  8)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:42:12 AM by Camresearch »
Bikes owned, from present to past: NS 150 Honda, DS 2010 Zero, RZ 500 N Yamaha #2, CB 250 Honda, Ducati 69 single, GT 750 Kawasaki, RZ 500 N the 1st,  RD LC 250/350 Yamaha + other bits, Kawasaki 200 dirt, DT 250 Yamaha.  Also spent time with Ducati 600 and Moto Morini 250 V twins and others :D

Camresearch

• View Profile

This is what the "original" carrier looked like... When I first opened up the motor.  That is the problem with Bakelite, may be fine for a distributor cap, high voltage, low current but not this....

Cam
Bikes owned, from present to past: NS 150 Honda, DS 2010 Zero, RZ 500 N Yamaha #2, CB 250 Honda, Ducati 69 single, GT 750 Kawasaki, RZ 500 N the 1st,  RD LC 250/350 Yamaha + other bits, Kawasaki 200 dirt, DT 250 Yamaha.  Also spent time with Ducati 600 and Moto Morini 250 V twins and others :D

Camresearch

• View Profile

This is what the top of the modified carrier looks like... Not so pretty, It is covered with a high temperature paint, "Pot Belly Black" and then a circuit board lacquer.  I soldered the pressed in copper terminals, as the were falling out.  The heavy copper wires are soldered directly to the brush carrier tubes. It stops the pigtails or springs from having to take too much current, ever.

Cam

Camresearch

• View Profile

What the carrier looks like now.

Burton

• View Profile

What is the new carrier made from?

It looks like a metal you have coated in paint ... but wont the brushes ground out on the carrier or with each other via the carrier if it is made of metal? I don't own one of these motors and likely won't in the future but the pictures had me wondering.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Camresearch

• View Profile

Each tube is isolated from the other.  The carrier tubes are made from copper water pipe and potted with a high temperature epoxy into the old carrier.

Cam

zap mc

• View Profile

Looks like a great project and thanks for posting
Apologies for the delay but how did it all perform in the end?
Pages: [1]