• April 27, 2024, 02:59:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: guity's gpr-s experience  (Read 42083 times)

guity

• View Profile
Re: guity's gpr-s experience
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »

Thanks for the kind words picasso!  Heh!   Yes a helmet cam might have yielded enough future entertainment to compensate for all the trauma! 

BretA

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2009, 12:44:06 PM »

Sorry to hear about that... Not sure if you could take comfort in knowing that you are not the 1st GPR-S rider involved in an accident.  Having grown up in California, I can sympathise with splitting lanes in heavy traffic, but its not something I ever wanted to do..

BretA

guity

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2009, 09:25:18 PM »

Hey Bret.  Yeah, maybe lane-splitting isn't the safest way to drive.  Or maybe a simple rule would have helped, like don't try to split a long lane of cars when you arrive late to the light and don't know when it is might change....Otherwise, when everybody is stopped, and you're only going 5 mph, you should be able to avoid a fatal accident.   Luckily traffic had still barely started moving in yesterday's debacle.

Is your tracking number showing any progression of your bike toward your home yet?

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2009, 10:21:36 PM »

Really glad your OK guity. Next time get your own a$$ out of traffic, f the bike ;) Not that I would not have done the same. lol. (Monday morning QB) Glad you had your gear on.

Maybe research needs to be done on a auto-kill switch when the bike is parallel to the ground. On second thought, that is a malfunction disaster waiting to happen. Never mind.

Thanks again for documenting all these details. I'm sure EM would like to hear about what breaks in a crash. You are still doing much more to help the EV community than hurt it.

guity

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2009, 11:50:20 PM »

Thanks Skadamo.  Yes, you are right.  If I had just stepped off the road after nose-dive-sliding off the back of that SUV, I actually would have avoided about 95% of the damages.

One thing I am not sure of is spring resistance on throttles.  All the gas machines I have driven have much more spring-resistance than the GPR-S.  I don't know if all bikes are different in that respect or if the electric bikes just tend to have less resistance because instead of there being an accelerator cable involved, there is simply electrical flow to control.  But I really think that it would be helpful if a little more physical resistance had to be overcome to twist the throttle.  I'm not talking about making it so that only weight-lifters can speed the bike up, but just something that requires a little more effort to twist.

It kind of reminds me of younger days trying to ride dirt bikes in hairy terrain.  The first thing I would often do in a sticky situation was to grip the handlebars in a semi-panic.  This usually resulted in an increase in gas.  The roar of the engine would remind me that I was doing a bad thing, though by then the damage was usually done and I was already nosediving into a deep muddy ditch on a steep incline.  After all these years I find myself once again wanting to break myself of that panic grip habit, but no matter what I think it would help to have a little more spring-resistance in those throttles...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:52:09 PM by guity »

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2009, 12:45:01 AM »

I took my magura apart.... and wound the spring one more time, provided a better feel :)
Travis

guity

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2009, 02:18:17 AM »

Frodus I'm too dumb to even know if winding the Magura one more turn gave the throttle more resistance or less!  I'm guessing tighter = more resistance though...

BretA

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2009, 07:33:37 AM »

Guity,
   After a long wait, Im finally tracking my GPR-S back to Raleigh.

guity

• View Profile
Guity's Best GPR-S Policy
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2009, 02:31:55 AM »

The bike with key in the ON position is like a gun with a bullet in the chamber.  Don't get off the bike until it is powered down, and if you get knocked off the bike without powering it down, don't do anything else with the bike until you have hit the kill switch or turned the key off...

TK

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2009, 02:14:13 AM »

Guity,

I am glad to hear your OK.   Thank God for helmet laws.  Flesh and bone can not be fixed as easily as metal, plastic, and fiberglass.   

Live throttle issues-
Live throttles have always been an issue for Electric Motorcycles.  In the TTXGP all entrees were required to have a big industrial push button kill switch on the tail section of the bikes so that if a track official had to pick up a downed bike, or assist a bike off the track they would be assured the bike was off first.  After a fall the throttles often stay live on petrol bikes as well as electric.  Sometimes when petrol bikes fall on the throttle side the motor revs and the rear wheel spins like crazy since bikes most often get laid down while still in gear.  The GPR-S like many new bikes comes with bar end protectors which would avoid such an occurrence.   The main issue is the throttle being active while the bike is sitting or laying silent.  Also the quick response for the Magura throttle which is the industrial standard for Electric Motorbikes.  Some people who like the feel of a standard throttle will use the existing throttle cable with a PB6 Style pot box.  Even this however has issues and requires a bit of adjustment and modification to get the right feel.

Any one have any suggestion on how to deal with this EV motorcycle issue.   In NEDRA we have to have a lanyard strap like on Jet skies.

guity

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2009, 10:43:50 AM »

TK thanks for your concern.

I'm drawing a gun analogy on this because I sense that some electric bike makers are leaning toward having the controller slow down the response time to the throttle.  But to continue my gun analogy, the last thing a person wants is a gun that fires two seconds after the trigger is pulled.  On the other hand, the actual physical trigger shouldn't be a hair trigger that causes the gun to fire with too little pressure from the finger.  I think the same applies to electric motorcycles -- you can't really accelerate my XL350R without grabbing the throttle firmly and with intention.  But a fairly light squeeze will move the GPR-S throttle a long way, and it's easy to get nervous and squeeze that way in various situations on the highway...

guity

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2009, 01:48:38 AM »

Uphill/Downhill stats -- obtained by driving up and down the 2 3/4 mile incline between my place and Sunset Blvd:

75.1 volts left
52.9 AH used
37.37 miles driven
watt-hours 3817.1
watt-hours per mile 102.3
aMin -5.5
aMax 273.3
vMin 66
maxS 54.1
avgS 38.4
58 min 24 sec driving
cycle 21
total AH 908
total miles 613

picasso

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2009, 02:30:56 AM »

Man I wish I could get a cycle analyst going on my Zero. Just to hard for me to tap center pack. Thanks for all the stats its helps for when I do a bike of my own and wish to go back and check efficiency stats. The Zero S is still tempting me.

guity

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2009, 03:56:35 AM »

Picasso nice to see you back! 

I've been kind of hoping you might start building a bike.  Have thought about those hub motors this guy named "markcycle" has been working with and selling? 
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7718&start=540

My vote is you should get a dual sport frame, stick a hub motor on each wheel and in the middle stick as many 90AH Thundersky batteries you can dream up a place for, along with a couple of controllers, a dc-dc converter and a bms.  ... but I suspect you got plans of your own -- can you share them?

BretA

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2009, 05:11:04 AM »

Guity,

I am glad to hear your OK.   Thank God for helmet laws.  Flesh and bone can not be fixed as easily as metal, plastic, and fiberglass.   

Live throttle issues-

Any one have any suggestion on how to deal with this EV motorcycle issue.   In NEDRA we have to have a lanyard strap like on Jet skies.

I think a lanyard strap would be the simplest approach on an Electric bike.  A more complex solution would be a crash circuit that would monitor the xy axis and crash and trigger if the tilt is greater than can be accomplished in a normal ride.  A few of the more advanced alarm systems use a key traansmitter that detects if the rider is on the bike.  Personally I would think it would be cool to not have a key and just walk up to the bike and ride if you are the owner with no visible key.

BretA
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14