• March 28, 2024, 11:34:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: guity's gpr-s experience  (Read 41971 times)

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
Re: guity's gpr-s experience
« Reply #195 on: June 21, 2010, 08:09:55 AM »

I think the difference in efficiency can be attributed to the gigantic hill guity needs to climb to get home.  That ascent alone has got to be at least 500 ft vertical over two miles.

I'm impressed at how well it seems to perform on such a long incline.  You can see how low the voltage on those batteries sags in those files you posted.  It must really tax them, especially at the end of their discharge cycle.

How many amps are you pulling on the way up?
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

guity

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 21, 2010, 08:42:55 PM »

Harlan, it's been a while since I checked the amps on the way up the hill, and I can't really remember.  I'll check and post when I ride it again this weekend...

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 21, 2010, 09:49:10 PM »

For what it is worth, I pull a steep two-mile hill (Sharp Park Road), along with two other smaller hills, at about 45 mph on every ride to get out of town. I keep my throttle pegged the entire time and the CA shows a continuous draw of between 175-150 amps - as the controller struggles to keep the battery pack voltage above 50.4 volts. On the way back home I have to ride up four hills, as I live on one about 1/3 mile the road. I would estimate that when I ride I have my throttle pinned at least 50% during every trip.

I keep wondering about the condition of my batteries, but looking at the battery specs, it looks to me like Hi Power batteries just are not manufactured to perform to the same standards as are the other major brands of prismatic LIFePo4 batteries available on the market.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

guity

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 22, 2010, 09:10:32 PM »

Anyway, that data kind of re-inforces my gut feeling that this poor bike has never really had a chance to run on 24 good batteries at the same time.  Not that I think it would turn into a rocket if had all 24, but I do think there would be some improved performance. 

guity

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 10, 2010, 09:14:58 AM »

Today when I got home from a 26-mile run I whiffed that now-familiar half-toxic but paradoxically kind of sweet smell of a leaky battery.  Pulling out the cell logger, there was one battery at 2.85 volts while the other 23 were around 3.25.  So I have another battery that needs replacement.  I think it is (guity) 24 -- (cell-logger) 1, which is one of those that show up badly in the tests above.  (To verify I need to take off the gas tank and trace down the cell logger wire set of the bad battery to see what exact cell it belongs to (1,9,17?).

Lots of maintenance for this bike (supposedly there wasn't supposed to be that much maintenance), but I do have to say that a year after the initial purchase I'm still not seeing any companies coming out with bikes that have any kind of edge in range/speed.  (Though Brammo should break things wide open next July.)

Also, I guess my accident took a toll on the left fork because it seems to be slowly leaking oil (from the bottom of the fork) onto the front tiire and the floor of the garage...

guity

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2011, 07:05:11 AM »

OK, Hollywood Electrics provided a battery, I pulled off the faux gas tank, and indeed the bad cell is 24 (guity) or 1 (cell logger).  The bike has been sitting a long time so I am re-charging it back to top.  Individual battery from Hollywood Electrics appears to be already charged on my single cell charger.  So when the big charger is done topping off  the batteries I will take off the front top case of batteries, lift up the back top case of batteries to make room, then slide out the small lower case of batteries where battery 24/1 resides, to replace it.

The bad battery actually seems to be taking some charge at this point in time, better than it was doing after the last ride.  However, it is also already jacking up above the rest of the batteries, at about 3.5 volts as opposed to the average 3.35 volts....
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 07:07:08 AM by guity »

guity

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 17, 2011, 02:27:05 AM »

Battery changed (way too hard, if there was going to be a next design of this bike, it would need to make it A) convenient to replace individual batteries and B) get rid of the metal cases and replace those with metal bands that can be bolted and tightened around the battery groups).  Had to hammer an old screw driver down on the split corner of the metal case to split it open further before I could get the  battery next door to the bloated stinky bad battery out of the case, and hence the bad battery.

Coming up the hill with about 10 miles ridden on the charge, keeping the bike at 45mph, the voltage never went below 69.  Doesn't prove anything, but certainly no obvious problems after losing the bad battery...
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]