• April 24, 2024, 02:51:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DigiNow Super Charger  (Read 5051 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: DigiNow Super Charger
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2016, 11:51:30 PM »

Haven't found it anywhere yet. I'm working a bit on the tail with cardboard and cad and knowing how the charging setup will be would help a lot with designing before it arrives.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 12:33:51 AM »

Haven't found it anywhere yet.

It is intentionally not publicly available.

I'm working a bit on the tail with cardboard and cad and knowing how the charging setup will be would help a lot with designing before it arrives.

Plan for a set of high capacity power cables much like the ones that run from the battery to the controller B+/B- terminals, but capped with a red Anderson connector. That is literally what we're talking about. I can't discuss lengths or such, but I will say that routing high power cables should be done with care to avoid motion, chafing, or excessive bending.

If you plan to put the supercharger on the tail rack, I highly recommend figuring out a way to reinforce the tail rack so that it cannot wave around at speed if going over a bump. (Terry welded tubes that run from the passenger footpeg area to the top plate, for example.) The stock rack is not suitable for loads of that size, in my opinion.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »

It is intentionally not publicly available.
Bit of a bummer but understandable from a business perspective.

Plan for a set of high capacity power cables much like the ones that run from the battery to the controller B+/B- terminals, but capped with a red Anderson connector. That is literally what we're talking about. I can't discuss lengths or such, but I will say that routing high power cables should be done with care to avoid motion, chafing, or excessive bending.

If you plan to put the supercharger on the tail rack, I highly recommend figuring out a way to reinforce the tail rack so that it cannot wave around at speed if going over a bump. (Terry welded tubes that run from the passenger footpeg area to the top plate, for example.) The stock rack is not suitable for loads of that size, in my opinion.
The endgame is to put a nice butt on it that can house the SC nice and dry while providing some extra slipperiness to the bike, but until then it will probably be a reinforced top case.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2016, 09:51:04 PM »

@BrianTRice how much effort would it be to mount two super chargers on the happy trails SU pannier rack, and would it be any more structurally sound on a stock Zero than a top rack?   Are 3x superchargers a supported configuration (that's 18kW-45kW charging anywhere you can find three J-plugs)?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 10:34:47 PM »

@BrianTRice how much effort would it be to mount two super chargers on the happy trails SU pannier rack, and would it be any more structurally sound on a stock Zero than a top rack?   Are 3x superchargers a supported configuration (that's 18kW-45kW charging anywhere you can find three J-plugs)?

I have to say that the Happy Trails SU rack is extremely sturdy now that I've installed it (see http://www.happy-trail.com/find-your-bike/zero-motorcycle.html ). I don't think effort is the issue. Is it advisable? Here are my estimates:
  • You could drop the supercharger into aluminum panniers that could enclose it with lids to open when running (SU). But those panniers would be very bulky (at least 7" wide/deep) and result in a lot of drag without fabricating something to round off the front/back.
  • The weight supported (25lbs per supercharger) at that distance from the center of the bike will cause handling problems. The bike suspension preload will at least need to be increased substantially, and the bike will require more effort to lean out/in.
  • Routing the cables to/from the panniers still has challenges to protect them.
  • I would not want to damage a Supercharger given what I paid for even one, so a side mount is a little worrying.
  • Two Superchargers would be difficult to use on a Zero, because the battery will refuse to charge faster than a 1C rate which for a DSR 13 is about 11 kW. A single Supercharger can already exceed that on one powersupply, which is why I'm okay with one Supercharger and one Elcon 2500 (15lbs) so I can get ~1C out of 2 J plugs. Also, using two high power chargers at once requires some care, and a two Supercharger configuration has not been planned for or tested.
So, I guess the answer is "no" with the present bike design, but I like that we can at least envision it.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 2 [3]