• April 26, 2024, 03:48:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2O15 Zero SR tire life  (Read 1822 times)

JasonS

• View Profile
2O15 Zero SR tire life
« on: October 08, 2015, 11:11:01 PM »

Hi,

My 2015 SR (with the stock Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's) has about 6,500 miles on it now, and the rear tire is looking a bit long in the tooth.   I can probably get another 1k or 2k miles out of it, but some might replace it now.  (Flat highway stripe down the middle, about two inches wide.)

That mileage is probably about 80% highway miles, and most of that time has been in Custom mode with 50% regen on rolloff, and 100% regen on brake. So, a lot of scrubbing on that back tire.  I recently changed my Custom to 0%/100%, just to try it out for a bit.

The front still looks pretty good.

Has anyone else with a 2015 Zero SR had to replace their tires yet?  What kind of mileage did you achieve?  What kind of riding?

(The 2015 Zero S has different tires, but I'd be curious about experiences there, too.)
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Re: 2O15 Zero SR tire life
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 08:23:58 AM »

The Diablo Rossi's tend to wear out around 4-5k miles. 

I put on some Pirelli Angel GT's.  They ride great and I and expect more like 8-9k miles.  Had to get a size larger than stock, but I love the way it rides now. 
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

CScalpeL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:53:09 PM »

I am pleasantly surprised with the mileage I'm getting so far on the stock Rosso2's... I've done about 16500 kms on my bike with the stock tires so far and I still have about a mm and a half of tread before I have to switch 'em out. The bike serves as a commuter for me with mixed riding and not a lot of leaning (developing a little bit of a shoulder on the rear though as a result). I like to take off at the stop lights but other than that don't ride it too hard.

I ride either in Sport or custom with full regen on brake and 0 on throttle roll-off. I keep my pressures at 36 for the front and 38 for the rear. I weigh 80 kgs and mybike doesn't have a PT.

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 10:47:32 PM »

Thanks for the responses... CScalpeL, looks like you're getting really good range from them! 16,500km is about 10,000 miles; I don't think mine will get near that.

I DO have a PT, and I weigh in at ~210lbs/95kg.  I'm tall-ish (6'3") and rarely tuck.

Tire pressure... I keep air in them :)  I don't check it as often as I should.  I generally air up to around 32/34.

I wonder how much road surface plays into it... My commute is mostly concrete, with a bit of asphalt.  The highway miles are predominantly concrete.
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 09:28:06 AM »

Here is one site that has posted a tire mileage comparsion, including the Rosso II, although the bikes and types of riding are different: http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/tire-miles.php

Their tire reviews are quite detailed and worth reading.

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 06:13:40 AM »

Well, I made it to 7500 miles.  As irony would have it, just a day or so after my initial post on this topic, I picked up a screw in my back tire  ::)

I patched it, and rode home. 

Shortly after, I ordered a new back tire, THEN noticed that my front wasn't in as good shape as I thought it was ::)

So I ordered a new front tire too, and a scissor jack/lift to make removing the wheel easier.

Both tires are same as stock.

Today I installed both of them, and noticed something I hadn't noted before - doesn't look like you can replace the belt without removing the swing arm.  ::) again.

By the way - another thread was going on about wheel weights.  For the record, my back wheel, including new tire and axle, weighed 26 lbs.  Front wheel, 20 lbs, not including axle.  Whoops.
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 07:58:10 AM »

4800 miles on mine, lots of tread left - in fact they look almost new. I run the recommended pressure, 30 psi, which seems low but I can't deny that the tires are wearing beautifully. Check 'em religiously before every ride. Tires hold pressure very well. One plug which you can see. Plenty of leaning (not extreme) and hard accelerating - it's an SR :). Front tire looks about the same. I only weigh 150 so that probably helps. I love these tires.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 08:39:11 AM by MichaelJohn »
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser
Pages: [1]