• March 29, 2024, 11:21:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: 2016 Zero Lineup Announcement at AIMEXPO  (Read 17445 times)

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Zero Lineup Announcement at AIMEXPO
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 12:44:48 PM »

You didn't even think of a reverse gear? Amateur. ;)

Seriously, half of your wish list are gimmicks that most of the market can live without or easily fixed with cheap third-party products.

The essentials are: fairing and charging.

You may think they are gimmicks but I don't think so at all.  With the exception of the color touch screen and fast charging these items don't add a lot to the cost of the bike but they add a lot of value...in my opinion.  Reverse would be a good feature to add because I know a lot of people want it and it would help Zero sell bikes.  However, I personally don't put reverse high on my list.  In the 8K miles I have put on my 2014 Zero S I can only think of one scenario where I was parking on a VERY steep driveway where I wished I had reverse.  That said, I'm sure if I had it I would love it and use it all the time.  On the other hand, over 8K miles I have often thought of other things missing from my bike...

...snip...

I'm hoping for improvements which improve the range, or reduce the price.
In my personal opinion Zero's are plenty expensive enough without adding factory whistles and bells.

So, my wish list, in order.

+ Improved Water Proofing
+ Fairing
+ Rapid / Improved charging.
+ Integrated J1772 / Mennekes charging.
+ Increased Battery Size.
+ Improved Water Proofing

Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 03:15:22 PM »

For me, the most important item is a field belt repair kit (Available for BMW motorcycles).
This is the only thing preventing me from deep off road riding with my FX.

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 06:18:47 PM »

+1 on the belt repair kit.  I found a guy who already made them for Harleys and wanted to add Zero kits to his line; I sent him my spare belt to work from, then he vanished. :(

My list's pretty short:

pull the milspec gear off the MMX and sell it to the public
technical info of any kind, for any year or any model

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 07:16:01 PM »

Buy a chain kit, so much better than a belt and you can take the bike off-road.... They should come with a belt imo and switch to a belt optional
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 02:09:50 AM »

• Factory heated grips
  • Cruise control
  • Canceling turn signals
  • Keyless operation
  • Full color touchscreen display
It's not that I think the above are necessarily gimmicky(*)  -- different strokes for different folks, and I rode year-round in Boston for 3 years, without heated grips, on an old BMW Boxer, and they sure would've been nice (-: ;  However, they're not core features. Zero is still a tiny company, and I want them to concentrate on electric drivetrain and overall usability. Right now, the top 3 important issues preventing further sales IMO are range, range and range, and that's the key to further development of the company.

A Zero bike has more than enough range for most commutes, so that's not the problem; however, if all you want to do is commute short-to-medium distances, an electric (or non) scooter is a lot cheaper, and for short distances, an electric bicycle is a still more cost-effective  solution.

Until I can do a day's worth of sport-touring (100mi at freeway speeds each way to get to the nice roads, plus another 150-200mi of slower twisties/sweepers), an e-motorcycle isn't on the table for me, as much as I'd like the idea, nor, IMHO
for riders who aren't EV aficionados.
This is the most significant market enabler, and if Zero aren't concentrating on that above and beyond anything else, they're making a big mistake (IMO).

The day trip mentioned above requires 3X the range of the highest current range EV motorcycle (Zero S with larger battery + PowerTank). That's not taking into account spirited acceleration/braking, a pillion, headwinds etc..

You can't add a lot of battery weight onto a bike. If the battery's range can be extended 50% by a combo of higher energy density and a fairing, and the bike can be charged to 90% in 30-45min using a DCQC, I could do that day trip with two charging stops.

This means IMO Zero should work on, in order, on the product side:
1) A fairing (probably better short-term gains than denser battery) option
2) DC quick charging, which is not just a bike-tech problem -- it turns out most DCQC chargers don't support the Zero's voltages, and Zero should take that up with the industry.
3) Denser batteries

...I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks what they have been working on (aside from marketing, which is obviously important as well) :-)

As for a larger compartment in the "gas tank", I'm pretty sure it's impossible to have one there large enough for most full-face helmets. I do wish it was metal-topped, however -- I've over a dozen tankbags. None of the strap-based ones work, and all the magnetic ones do.
Re a touch display, I think it's a bad idea on a motorcycle in terms of convenient control and visibility in sunlight (hell, I think LCD gauges are a bad idea -- I've yet to see a setup which is as easy to read or cost-effective to repair as old-style analog.)

(*) Sorry, but IMO keyless ignition is a horrible idea, especially on an electric vehicle. It makes the concept of whether the bike is currently on or not a fuzzy condition, instead of a binary one. An ignition key, where you develop the good habit of removing it from the bike as soon as you dismount, is conceptually much simpler and safer.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:18:19 AM by wavelet »

Lecram

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 03:07:20 AM »

I want:
a gear indicator
Catalysts in the exhausts
Twin spark
Engine oil check window
hydraulic clutch
Automatic valve adjustment
:)
1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2011 Mercedes Viano Marco Polo camper
2015 Zero DS with power tank
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2015, 03:19:33 AM »

Regarding the DC chargers, most actually do support Zero's.

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 03:21:08 AM »

I want:
a gear indicator
Catalysts in the exhausts
Twin spark
Engine oil check window
hydraulic clutch
Automatic valve adjustment
:)
C'mon, you forgot the tachometer. And programmable exhaust-noise maker, like the  BMW electric cars have...

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 03:29:40 AM »

Regarding the DC chargers, most actually do support Zero's.
I have no direct experience in this, so I'd be happy to be corrected, but not according to this thread, and according to this ("The problem with fast charge stations", about midway on the page) the issue is still very far from fixed.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2015, 03:41:23 AM »

I have no direct experience in this, so I'd be happy to be corrected, but not according to this thread, and according to this ("The problem with fast charge stations", about midway on the page) the issue is still very far from fixed.

It's going to take a while before the entire issue is resolved, but I believe what Erasmo is saying is that the number of Blink and EVTEC chargers, which don't support battery voltage down to 50V (per the spec) just isn't that great. Before Zero removed the CHAdeMO adapter from the market, I was considering getting one, and it seems like most of the units in my area would work for me. Didn't test any of them so I can't know for sure, but it looked like it might be a good option in the SoCal area.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Lecram

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2015, 04:45:14 AM »

OK, without kidding:

- My BMW i3 has connected drive and I can see from any place with smartphone, tablet or pc what the charge status is of my car, and locate my car. I would love to see this with my Zero.
- A more powerful (at least 3,6 kW or 3 phase) internal charger with Type 2 connector
- A better cooling system for the engine. Now, its too often overheated
- A seat quick release to get access to the store room under the seat
- Standard USB connector for power supply
- change custom mode settings from the dashboard
1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2011 Mercedes Viano Marco Polo camper
2015 Zero DS with power tank
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

Xenoilphobe

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2015, 05:37:57 AM »

More power density to the battery packs enabling longer range.
On board faster charging using a Tesla like cable that has adapters for many standard NEMA outlets.
LED Headlights and running lights
price reduction
longest warranty in the M/C business - like Tesla - 8 years unlimited miles for powertrain.
DSR
FXR
Military Discount for Veterans
Off Road Panniers for the FXR
A referral program like Tesla
A fairing
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:39:33 AM by Xenoilphobe »
2013 FX 5.7 , 2014 Tesla P85+ (His), 2013 Tesla P85 (hers)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2015, 09:15:38 AM »

It's going to take a while before the entire issue is resolved, but I believe what Erasmo is saying is that the number of Blink and EVTEC chargers, which don't support battery voltage down to 50V (per the spec) just isn't that great. Before Zero removed the CHAdeMO adapter from the market, I was considering getting one, and it seems like most of the units in my area would work for me. Didn't test any of them so I can't know for sure, but it looked like it might be a good option in the SoCal area.

Ditto on the east coast.  Zero is stuck thinking 80% of chargers won't work, however I think that is only a local issue.  There are no blink level 3 chargers near me and most Chademo chargers currently on the East coast are at Nissan dealers, which do work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2015, 12:08:06 PM »

+1 for the referral scheme. Marketing is something Zero must be short of funds for. Working with the power of word of mouth must be a strategy worth pursuing. Another reason why customer service and reliability should be addressed as a priority.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
2016 Zero Lineup Announcement at AIMEXPO
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2015, 12:13:15 PM »

By the way, guess who's going to have egg on his face in a couple of weeks if Zero announce a sport tourer? Fairing and fast charging and you can all feel free to mock me over the VFR purchase!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13