• April 24, 2024, 10:42:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Helmet lock?  (Read 2554 times)

GambitDash

• View Profile
Helmet lock?
« on: September 27, 2015, 09:45:08 PM »

Is there a helmet lock on the 2015 SR I am missing, or is that an after market item? Or do people not lock their helmets anymore? :)

Cheers
--G

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Helmet lock?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 04:38:30 AM »

There's a lock under the handlebars for the tank bag that can be used as a helmet lock.

I put my helmet in my top case.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

uhoherk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 12:17:22 PM »

I bought this Helmetlok 4101 Carabiner Style Helmet Lock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EE56UAG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_CSncwbN8SP1DA

Nice and small to put in tank storage and east to lock to yo passenger pegs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »

I bought this Helmetlok 4101 Carabiner Style Helmet Lock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EE56UAG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_CSncwbN8SP1DA

Nice and small to put in tank storage and east to lock to yo passenger pegs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using that lock on all of my motorcycles as my BMW and Triumph didn't come with any sort of helmet lock - just like my Zero.  On the Zero I connect the helmet D-ring to the lock and then connect that to the passenger hand rail.  That keeps the helmet way above the ground and out of any chance that someone will kick it accidentally while walking around the bike. Since this lock can be used on just about any motorcycle, you can buy one and just keep it in your jacket pocket if you own and ride more than one motorcycle like I do.  Interestingly, I bought my Helmetlok at the local Cycle Gear for $25.  My BMW dealer sells the exact same lock for $40.  :o I didn't buy one there.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 08:35:40 PM »

There's a lock under the handlebars for the tank bag that can be used as a helmet lock.

The one the bag locks to?  I couldn't figure out any way of getting by chin strap to it. Or am I supposed to supply my own cable?

Cheers
--G

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 08:36:52 PM »

The one the bag locks to?  I couldn't figure out any way of getting by chin strap to it. Or am I supposed to supply my own cable?

Cable or caribiner lock as suggested in other posts.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 10:41:44 PM »

I've captured a mini-howto posted from Facebook into the wiki: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Advanced_Modifications#Helmet_Lock_Relocation

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 11:22:13 PM »

I've captured a mini-howto posted from Facebook into the wiki: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Advanced_Modifications#Helmet_Lock_Relocation

What a terrific idea, relocating the stock lock! It's the same key so you don't have to drag another key around (I have three for my bike already -- ignition/helmet lock, disk brake lock, trunk lock). I like to think I'd have thought about that if I'd known the stock one is just screwed down....but I'm probably fooling myself.

I think I'd reduce the instructions a bit though, I don't think it's necessary to educate the user in basic shop techniques like drilling and tapping holes in aluminum. I'd just give the screw thread size and leave it at that.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 09:48:44 AM »

This is sweet! I wonder if a "replacement" lock can be ordered from Zero that would use the same key so that relocation of the existing lock wouldn't be needed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 10:11:46 AM »

I think I'd reduce the instructions a bit though, I don't think it's necessary to educate the user in basic shop techniques like drilling and tapping holes in aluminum. I'd just give the screw thread size and leave it at that.

As it happens, I asked for the hole/bolt size and got that instead. So I cleaned it up at least. *shrug*

This is sweet! I wonder if a "replacement" lock can be ordered from Zero that would use the same key so that relocation of the existing lock wouldn't be needed.

Someone should try this (and get better info). I'll certainly add a reminder to ask my dealer.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 09:14:05 PM »

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I dont know if they can get one that is already keyed correctly.. but a good locksmith can rekey one to match your existing key.
There was a local guy (now retired) that I used to rekey my bike. Someone had tried to steal it, so I had a different key for the ignition, the original key for the tank, and another key for the rear seat release. He rekeyed the tank and the seat to match the new-style ignition key.  He could have done it to any of them, but since the original key was worn, and the seat key was sticky, I opted to have them all match the new one.
He only charged me $30, even though it must have taken him a good bit of his time. I hope there are still locksmiths like this out there, but I fear they're dying. His shop was awesome. bins upon bins all filled with exactly sized pins and clips and such. all kinds of specialty tools... very neat stuff. The guy could probably rebuild any tumbler style lock in the world.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 10:04:25 PM »

On another thread somewhere, someone pointed out that Zero uses a fairly standard lockset for their ignition and helmet locks. I couldn't find it with a quick search, but I remember seeing it. I'd bet that if Zero can't key them, someone else could. I don't see any numbers on my key, so I'm not sure how the keying would be identified. Perhaps on the body of the lock itself if you remove it?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 10:30:53 PM »

The keying code is on a small plastic tag along with the spare key.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 11:20:32 PM »

One problem with standard helmet locks is the they generally go through the D Rings on the strap.
If someone sees your bike parked in a location multiple times and wants to steal your helmet he ( or she )
can just come up with a pair of wire cutters and cut the D Ring and replace it later. Mine was
stolen off of one of my bikes while " locked " to the standard helmet lock. A Better option would
be some sort of Kryptonite style U lock or cable. Might be a bit more money, but, much
more effective if you wear a REAL helmet and not one of the upside down soup bowls.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:30:01 PM by KrazyEd »

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 01:12:37 AM »

I have a quick release latch on my helmet and Just use a padlock to the rear peg bracket if I have my top case full, they're just going to cut the strap and then the helmet is useless anyway
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike
Pages: [1] 2