• April 27, 2024, 12:31:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Handlebar Riser Adaptors (for all models w/removable risers?)  (Read 2559 times)

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Handlebar Riser Adaptors (for all models w/removable risers?)
« on: September 17, 2015, 07:29:06 PM »

The '13 MX seat on my dirt bike let me sit further back for easier standing and a lighter front end, but then I had to lean forward to reach the bars.  I needed more setback than the available 1-1/8" bars I found could provide, so I had these adaptors made up. They moved the bars to just about the perfect position for me - now I can reach out with eyes closed and the grips come right to hand -  but they also changed the steering behavior in a good way, which I was hoping for but not really expecting.

These adaptors tilt the risers 20° to move the bar-clamp centers back about 45mm from the OEM location, and up @ 10mm or so.  They also greatly reduce the steering-stem-to-riser-bolt offset on the '14 FX, from 34mm to 12mm (all my ICE bikes have 14mm to 18mm offsets).  Modern MX/offroad bars tend to be low and straight for the most part, and adding a bit more rise and setback allows me a greater choice than before.  It's hard to tell from the photos at the Zero site, but it looks like these should work on any Zero that has removable risers with M10 riser bolts.

Here's version 1, in 316 stainless (version 2 had extra material removed to make them lighter and is on the bike now, but next time I'd just use 7075 aluminum instead):

On-the-bike comparison (OEM on top) - I used Dupli-Color DE1634 paint on the adaptors:

...and the diagram:

With the OEM 34mm offset mentioned above, during cornering the bike continuously wanted to oversteer and catch the front tire's side treads on edges & ruts; that behavior is pretty much gone now.  With the added leverage of the large OEM offset, side loads on the bars tended to steer the front wheel harder into the corner, but now they have little or no effect.  This wasn't noticeable to me on dry pavement, but it happened once in a wet downhill corner and I had to use the oncoming lane to avoid going down (no traffic, thankfully).  Ideally,  the axle / triple clamp / riser offsets should work together to allow the bike to fall easily into a stable cornering line and also run straight ahead without wandering or head shake; maybe that's a lot to ask, but the bike sure feels better to me now.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

ZNRL

• View Profile
Re: Handlebar Riser Adaptors (for all models w/removable risers?)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 02:37:13 AM »

Hi Raylvers,

Can you post or forward me a non-burry obscured photo of the design?

I had your footpeg designed milled and they fit and work perfectly.

Anyone know why are all the photo attachments blurry now?

Thanks in Advance

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 07:01:17 PM »

Anyone know why are all the photo attachments blurry now?

"Photobucket currently hosts over 130 million photos for over 11 million free users! Effective June 1, 2019, new hosting limits will take effect that will impact a small portion of our image hosters.

What Are the New Limits?
Free hosters will be restricted to 25MB of hosting bandwidth per month. YOUR CURRENT USAGE IS OVER 25MB PER MONTH SO THIS NEW LIMITATION WILL AFFECT YOU.

What Happens If I Go Over My Bandwidth Allowance?
Free hosters, like you, who use more than 25MB of bandwidth will have all of their hosted photos watermarked and blurred."

I use https://imgbb.com/.  It might also have limits.  I don't know.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 06:25:05 AM »

Damn.

Well, you can upload them to https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Advanced_Modifications#Handlebar_Riser_Adapters and I think we'd all appreciate that.

At the time I included it, I hadn't developed a protocol around asking for image hosting permission to copy over photos and drawings. Now we can definitely justify that.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]