• April 27, 2024, 07:00:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2013 FX 5.7 Headlight Options  (Read 766 times)

Xenoilphobe

• View Profile
2013 FX 5.7 Headlight Options
« on: September 13, 2015, 09:07:10 AM »

I am never satisfied with the stock products that get put on most motorcycles - so my first project is to take a look at upgrading the efficiency of the stock headlight unit.   I pulled it tonight to test some options out and went ahead an bought a JW Speaker 8630 Evolution to replace the stock 5.75 inch headlight.  While pricey it keeps me DOT approved in the USA and provides a DRL "Halo", plus standard high and low beam projectors. 

The standard H4 bulb pulls 55 watts on low and 65 watts on high.  So getting higher lumen output with lower wattage consumption is the primary goal. Attached below is a picture with the 4 functions of the new headlight.

Also here is a video of them in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiprC4yAaJc/

and here 

« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:39:12 AM by Xenoilphobe »
2013 FX 5.7 , 2014 Tesla P85+ (His), 2013 Tesla P85 (hers)

Xenoilphobe

• View Profile
Re: 2013 FX 5.7 Headlight Options
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 07:43:46 AM »

installed today, pretty much plug and play  just need longer retainer screws to hold the thicker offset  with the stock headlight trim ring
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:49:17 AM by Xenoilphobe »
2013 FX 5.7 , 2014 Tesla P85+ (His), 2013 Tesla P85 (hers)

trikester

• View Profile
Re: 2013 FX 5.7 Headlight Options
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:13:41 PM »

LED lights natural characteristic makes them dim some as they heat, whereas gas discharge lamps get brighter as they heat.

I met the guy who does all of the lighting for a very popular TV show. When he told me that they are using all LED lights now, I asked him about the dimming; is it a problem? He said the lights have a compensating circuit, built in, that increases current as they dim, just enough to keep the light output constant. I wonder if the various LED headlamps, on the market, have that also? If not, then light output tests should be done after the lamp temperature has stabilized.

I put some overhead LED flood lights in my house and I can notice the reduction in light output after they have heated for a while. They obviously don't have compensation circuits.

Trikester
Pages: [1]