• April 23, 2024, 05:16:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2013 FX 5.7 Charging issue. Will only charge to 5.175KW is this normal?  (Read 1767 times)

Xenoilphobe

• View Profile

Should I be concerned?  Thought it would charge to 5.7 KW - it will never go above 97%.  any ideas...
2013 FX 5.7 , 2014 Tesla P85+ (His), 2013 Tesla P85 (hers)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: 2013 FX 5.7 Charging issue. Will only charge to 5.175KW is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 02:54:00 AM »

I have a DS, but the 2013 Zero FX specs list 5.0 kWh as the nominal spec for a 5.7 kWh load.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Xenoilphobe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 03:20:56 AM »

So that is normal for a brand new FX?  It only charges to 97% then stops.  does your DS do that too? so this is marketing.  5.7 will never happen and is just a marketing model #
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:23:20 AM by Xenoilphobe »

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 04:35:23 AM »

Years ago, a marketing type looked at a solar panel's data sheet, picked the absolute highest voltage the panel would ever put out, which happens with no load ("open circuit" voltage). He then picked the absolute highest current anywhere on the data sheet, which happens with a dead short (basically an infinite load; the exact opposite condition from the maximum voltage condition). He then multiplied those two numbers together and decided that it was an "80 watt" panel. Never mind that the absolute maximum power you'll ever get in the real world, somewhere between zero and infinite loads, is maybe 60 watts...his fictitious number looked better so he used it in his advertising materials.

Other manufacturers were faced with a dilemma. They could either do the right thing, rate their panels realistically, or cheat like the first guy did. But rating the panels realistically isn't an option -- who'd buy a 60 watt panel when someone else sells an "80 watt" panel for the same price? So all the other manufacturers had to fall in line and use the same shady rating technique whether they wanted to or not.

Battery manufacturers do the same thing, again whether they want to or not. If you multiply the amp-hour capacity of the battery on my 2014 Zero SR (100 amp-hours) times the nominal voltage of the battery pack (somewhere around 100 volts), you find the battery pack is nominally about a 10.0kWh battery, which Zero informally says is pretty accurate. But if you use the absolute highest possible battery voltage you can charge the battery to without damaging it (114 volts), you get the "rated" number that Zero advertises, 11.4kWh. It's cheesy at best, fraudulent at worst, but they HAVE to do it that way because everybody else does. Otherwise, the customer would be comparing apples to oranges, which wouldn't fairly compare Zero's specs to other manufacturers'.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Xenoilphobe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 04:44:50 AM »

Ok so this normal for a 5.7 FX with 98 miles?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 05:32:58 AM »

Ok so this normal for a 5.7 FX with 98 miles?

We can't assure you of that, but you don't have enough evidence to be worried. Try calling your dealer if it doesn't improve.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Ranga

• 2015 Zero FX 5.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 05:48:50 AM »

I have a 15, and I've found that the charge can be misleading when you turn it on. Sometimes after my morning commute the batteries will be at 95%, then later in the afternoon go back up to 100. The cells cool down and rebalance after a while.

But after a night of charging it should say 100% on the dash. Maybe if the bike sat for a winter fully discharged, that would wear the cells out. Otherwise, 2-3% difference is not that far for an FX, and would still be perfectly livable. If this persists though, it'd be a good idea to call the dealer or customer service.
2015 Zero FX

Xenoilphobe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 06:55:49 AM »

Drove it tonight for about 40 miles (some on road, some off road) all below 40 MPH.   Will see if the cell balance out after a couple days - who knows how this bike was treated before i got it.  May try the high power charger once I get the right connector soldered on.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 08:08:36 AM »

Years ago, a marketing type looked at a solar panel's data sheet, picked the absolute highest voltage the panel would ever put out, which happens with no load ("open circuit" voltage). He then picked the absolute highest current anywhere on the data sheet, which happens with a dead short (basically an infinite load; the exact opposite condition from the maximum voltage condition). He then multiplied those two numbers together and decided that it was an "80 watt" panel. Never mind that the absolute maximum power you'll ever get in the real world, somewhere between zero and infinite loads, is maybe 60 watts...his fictitious number looked better so he used it in his advertising materials.
This may have been the case at one time, but I don't think it's how most panels are sold today. Most panels seem to be sold on a STC rating, which while completely unrealistic due to lack of solar heating taper, is at least physically possible to achieve. PTC is a more realistic rating and many panels do specify this rating as well.

Battery manufacturers do the same thing, again whether they want to or not. If you multiply the amp-hour capacity of the battery on my 2014 Zero SR (100 amp-hours) times the nominal voltage of the battery pack (somewhere around 100 volts), you find the battery pack is nominally about a 10.0kWh battery, which Zero informally says is pretty accurate. But if you use the absolute highest possible battery voltage you can charge the battery to without damaging it (114 volts), you get the "rated" number that Zero advertises, 11.4kWh. It's cheesy at best, fraudulent at worst, but they HAVE to do it that way because everybody else does. Otherwise, the customer would be comparing apples to oranges, which wouldn't fairly compare Zero's specs to other manufacturers'.
You're spot on about how the maximum capacity works, but I can only think of Zero as a manufacturer that works this way. Zero didn't "have" to do it this way, they simply chose to.

Brammo Enertia Plus: 24s7p with 3.7V 10 Ah cells = 6.2 kWh nominal
Brammo Empulse: 28s9p with 3.7 10 Ah cells = 9.3 kWh nominal
Nissan LEAF: 96s2p with 3.75V 32.5 Ah cells = 23.4 kWh nominal; typically 22 kWh available.
BMW i3: 96s1p with 3.8V 60 Ah cells = 21.9 kWh nominal; typically 18 kWh available.

In 2010 Zero listed only the "maximum" capacity of their pack on their site. The current site still has an archive of their older bikes. The 2010 packs were 14s24p 2.9 Ah = 53.2V nominal, 57.4V maximum 69.6 Ah = 3.7 kWh nominal, 4.0 kWh maximum (if charged to 4.1 volts per cell).

In 2011 and later years Zero broke out their battery pack into nominal and maximum capacity. They continue to rate their battery packs like this today; in 2012 Brammo began rating the Empulse in a maximum rating fashion as well.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 08:42:12 AM »

it's a 2013 model with 98 miles, it has sat in a garage (or what ever) unused and possibly uncharged for a while, damaging the battery (a couple of cells or so) if it was allowed to go "flat". Only a theory but quite likely.

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 09:02:20 AM »

So that is normal for a brand new FX?  It only charges to 97% then stops.  does your DS do that too? so this is marketing.  5.7 will never happen and is just a marketing model #

5.7kWh is "peak" capacity, whereas the nominal capacity is closer to the 5.1kWh indicated on the app. The solar panel example is a good comparison, you'll never get 5.7kWh out of the battery. I don't think it was an arbitrary or malicious decision to indicate an optimistic capacity by Zero, as protomech suggests. Many of the Federal and State Tax Rebates for EVs were using peak capacity as their criteria, so it made sense at the time.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 09:11:55 AM »

I think the important point is that it will not charge to 100%

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »

5.7kWh is "peak" capacity, whereas the nominal capacity is closer to the 5.1kWh indicated on the app. The solar panel example is a good comparison, you'll never get 5.7kWh out of the battery. I don't think it was an arbitrary or malicious decision to indicate an optimistic capacity by Zero, as protomech suggests. Many of the Federal and State Tax Rebates for EVs were using peak capacity as their criteria, so it made sense at the time.

I don't think it was malicious; but I certainly hope the decision was made over the kicking and screaming of their engineers. The CVRP program is a flat amount per vehicle, and the IRC 30D federal tax credit refers to a measured capacity rating, which will certainly be closer to nominal than to maximum. It's possible that other programs may have preferred to measure capacity in terms of a maximum rating, but again Zero is the only manufacturer that I know of that has consistently used maximum capacity.

The 5.1 kWh indicated by the app is likely simply the indicated 45 Ah times the voltage, which is likely around 114V at 97% SOC.

You may see an improvement in the SOC (to 100% / 50 Ah) given a long time plugged in to balance - possibly as many as 72 hours. Or it may settle out over several charge / discharge cycles, if the bike has been sitting plugged in for a long time.

Basically just ride the bike! Give it a bit and see if it improves.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 12:59:06 PM »

Drove it tonight for about 40 miles (some on road, some off road) all below 40 MPH.   Will see if the cell balance out after a couple days - who knows how this bike was treated before i got it.  May try the high power charger once I get the right connector soldered on.
Hey glad t see you got your bike and I hope you enjoy it but remember how I said the most important thing about buying the bike was the warranty? If you go soldering Ebay crap on that bike you may kiss the warranty good bye.  Companies don't like paying for any repair they think may have been caused by a customer's screw up so go forward at your own risk.  My understanding is the bike will not let you fully drain the battery if it can help it so you never get the full 5.7 out of it.  Now I get to call WOW tomorrow and find out how you got your bike before I got mine back.
I don't want to sound like a jerk on here but I don't want you to be upset with a bike I help steer you toward.  Have fun with it.  Cheers

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 08:15:06 PM »

I think the important point is that it will not charge to 100%

I'm agree with this

You are all talking about how much kwhrs

From what I got from the question/comment was

The bike DOES not fully charge. And only charges to 97% which isn't 114v.  It would be nice to have a multimeter on the probes to see what the actually battery fully charged.... Does the bike green light when fully charged?

To me, if it's true that it can't get above 97% of voltage under the 114 and the charger kicks off; you need to turn in the batteries under warrantee before your shit expires
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's
Pages: [1] 2