• April 25, 2024, 03:07:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero to the rescue. How when Zero found out they did the right thing.  (Read 1116 times)

Camresearch

• View Profile

People on the forum probably know that I have been getting frustrated trying to source parts for a Dead Zero DS 2010 model that died 3 years ago and was left to rot...Plugged in but fried motor... Died during the warranty but was never followed up.

Zero in Australia had contacted Zero in the USA and they both decided it was not a good idea for me to continue to fix this 2010, since they couldn't provide battery support or parts and service in Australia at a reasonable price... Therefore they said instead that they are going to provide a trade in on an a new DS 2014 with a very, very fair deal on the dead DS!  I could never fix the 2010 to be as good as the 14 without spending a lot of money and it would be a Frankenstein bike if I did.

They have absolutely done the right thing once they really found out about it and what had happened to this old DS !!! the fact that the DS had only made it such a short distance and died during the warranty period (even though it wasn't followed up until now) actually made a difference to them at Zero.... It pays to be patient and talk to Zero about any issues.  Not just your dealers, they haven't the power to do that much for you directly, their hands are often tied by the "standard" policy. Dealers can talk to Zero itself though and that is completely different.  I seriously doubt any of the other "big" motorcycle companies would take a personal interest in the plight of a customer so far from the factory...

Well done Zero... Full marks for this one  ;D  Looking forward to my brother anyway (The bike goes back to him) joining the ranks of the 2014 brigade on a bike that works well :D  This time if it breaks during the warranty period, he had better get it fixed by Zero when it happens, because I am not going to bother them again after this... I would be too embarrassed  :-[

Thanks Zero  :)
Cam
Bikes owned, from present to past: NS 150 Honda, DS 2010 Zero, RZ 500 N Yamaha #2, CB 250 Honda, Ducati 69 single, GT 750 Kawasaki, RZ 500 N the 1st,  RD LC 250/350 Yamaha + other bits, Kawasaki 200 dirt, DT 250 Yamaha.  Also spent time with Ducati 600 and Moto Morini 250 V twins and others :D

PhreaK

• View Profile
Re: Zero to the rescue. How when Zero found out they did the right thing.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 11:00:04 AM »

Awesome news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Zero SR

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »

I take it they gave you a smoking deal....

Congrats!!! You probably can't be happier gonna be one happy camper now!!! Badass bike

I'm hoping they will help me towards a ds as well.... I guess time will tell...
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Camresearch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 11:45:15 AM »

It does show that it pays to really talk to them... It is easy to get frustrated when told 11K for a battery pack... Even Zero is not happy about that with the old bikes... It is a thorn in their side business wise these older bikes now.  Better to upgrade us to a bike with continuing support for parts and service if possible and that is what they are attempting to do with trade in deals they have offered. 

To be fair to Zero too, over any issues with 2010 model, a lot of the companies that went into making the 2010 are gone, changed or aren't used now.  Makes spares really hard for Zero to manage for them as they must pay almost trade retail for spare parts too then, when not done as bulk deals like in a production run....

Cheers,
Cam

Thanks again Zero Motorcycles for a job well done!  ;D
Bikes owned, from present to past: NS 150 Honda, DS 2010 Zero, RZ 500 N Yamaha #2, CB 250 Honda, Ducati 69 single, GT 750 Kawasaki, RZ 500 N the 1st,  RD LC 250/350 Yamaha + other bits, Kawasaki 200 dirt, DT 250 Yamaha.  Also spent time with Ducati 600 and Moto Morini 250 V twins and others :D

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 07:46:41 PM »

That is really great news, cam.  I am very happy for you.  It is interesting how Zero's "warranty" procedures vary from BMW's (as an example).  With BMW, the dealers make all of the warranty decisions, with just a minor overview and approval by the distributor's staff.  The factory never deals with a customer directly and only very rarely will the distributor's personnel talk with a customer without the dealer being directly involved.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »

Huge difference is their dealers know everything about ALL the models... Zero is behind on fixing old bikes at dealerships because a lot of dealers took them on this year or Last year which is great because that's the continuing platform...but .....the 12s and earlier they just don't know about, and their diagnostic systems are not nearly as good as 13 and newer bikes. All the pre 12s are just going to disappear sad because they really aren't old barely 5 years, and fun little bikes. I've had more fun on them (Electricross and/or2010/2011x's) than my 13 fx's (I love small bikes, small trails). They are a different animal though one is a DIRTBIKE the other is more a "toy" that's beefed up. Obviously the FX is still much more capable.

Anyone in here who owns a 10 or earlier knows what it's like asking a dealership service one..... Just not gonna happen there isn't a huge amount of people who ever really worked on them, and few of those people in service remain in the company.

But zero to the rescue!!! Congrads

Back to ontopic now sorry!!!

Are they shipping your old bike all the way back cam?
You gonna let your brother ride this one lol ? Not gonna get it back
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:35:52 PM by Cortezdtv »
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Camresearch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:14:33 PM »

Are they shipping your old bike all the way back cam?
You gonna let your brother ride this one lol ? Not gonna get it back

I offered the trade in deal to my brother.  He will buy the new DS 14 on the trade in of my DS 10, it is more really his anyway, I never passed any money over, it was more that I got to use it if I could fix it kind of situation, since otherwise it sat dead at his place... He knew I would have a much better chance of getting it going than he. 

He will have a new DS next week to play with, it is his birthday too next week so I had to let him have the new one.  That and despite the DS 10 proved so difficult for me to work on, he is like you and still loves the Zeros to death..  Me on the other hand after pushing the DS 10 for 3 km from the center of town, that bike and I are more frienemies now, that and I am really more of a Yamaha RZ 500 fan anyway, I like the transwarp velocities of the V4 two stroke, somebody has to keep the oil companies in business  :P

I don't know what they are doing with the old DS after I trailer it back to the dealer.

Cheers,
Cam  ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:16:40 PM by Camresearch »

Camresearch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 09:23:40 PM »

That is really great news, cam.  I am very happy for you.  It is interesting how Zero's "warranty" procedures vary from BMW's (as an example).  With BMW, the dealers make all of the warranty decisions, with just a minor overview and approval by the distributor's staff.  The factory never deals with a customer directly and only very rarely will the distributor's personnel talk with a customer without the dealer being directly involved.

The bike was truly out of warranty though.  It wasn't just because it had died during the warranty.  My brother then proceeded to ignore the problem for almost 3 years until I got onto him about it.. Went and took it from him and started to see if it could be saved.  They had offered buy back trade ins last year but it was too late for that and they only offered $3500 here.  You could have traded in a Zero 10 with 2 million miles on it though... and had a lot of use.. This one was different and a dealer couldn't make any call on that.  Just let me know that to do a battery for that bike was going to be 11 K... Even they were raising their eyebrows at that when they told me...

Cheers,
Cam
Pages: [1]