• April 24, 2024, 11:04:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ABS failure on dirt?  (Read 2160 times)

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: ABS failure on dirt?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 06:29:42 PM »

Seems a very poor ABS system if it ends up disabling braking and also much longer stopping distance than manual braking.
Each wheel should be monitored independent and only decrease brake input if locked up.
No way should it release brakes total.

Would be interesting what KTM and BMW etc  use on their bikes.
Zero may be liable if ABS cause crashes or injuries.
Hope Zero and Bosch improve the system.

is the S,DS , SR also the same?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:04:27 PM by firepower »

BenS

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 06:55:41 PM »

I agree, this ABS sounds more dangerous, not safer, as it should be. I think I'll continue to turn it off, even though it's a pain to have to do it every ride; I end up having to cycle the mode switch every time too, because the adj and mode switch are used for the "off" sequence! I hope there'll be some way to permanently disable it.
2015 FX 5.7, DIY Electric "Jesse James" chopper bicycle, and DIY Electric 26" Lowrider bicycle. ('10 KTM 530exc, '06 GasGas EC250, '06 YZ450F, '06 GSXR1000.)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 01:06:55 AM »

Could you just re-hose the brakes and leave the ABS valve out of circuit? Or disconnect it electronically and replace with a resistor.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 05:50:28 AM »

I would not recommned disabling it permanently, I may void your insurance and also make YOU liable if you crash into others or injure others.
You should be contacting ZERO and your government motor vehicle safety and traffic authority and ADVISING them of the SAFETY issue.
If it not working in a safe manner or meet its desired design it should be recalled.

Is it only on Dirt when it fails? how about wet roads? Painted lines?
As a motorcyclist we taught to avoid or be careful riding on those things.
Does the ABS fail on them too?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 05:53:06 AM by firepower »

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 06:15:18 AM »

Seems a very poor ABS system if it ends up disabling braking and also much longer stopping distance than manual braking.
Each wheel should be monitored independent and only decrease brake input if locked up.
No way should it release brakes total.

Would be interesting what KTM and BMW etc  use on their bikes.
Zero may be liable if ABS cause crashes or injuries.
Hope Zero and Bosch improve the system.

is the S,DS , SR also the same?

BMW use Bosch as well, I know BMW riders who have complained about the system on their bikes, dunno about KTM.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

mguw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 01:03:47 PM »

In the zero presentation,  it is written Bosch abs gen 9 and on the Bosch Web site it is the latest http://www.bosch-motorcycle.com/en/de/fahrsicherheit_fuer_zweiraeder/motorrad_abs/technische_evolution_von_motorrad_abs/technische_evolution_von_motorrad_abs.html

I don't think it is bad,  we just need to be aware of the limitations,  and forget rear brake in slippery conditions where it doesn't help anyway

A+ Marcel

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 03:02:33 PM »

Does the ABS integrate with Regenerative braking? I would think strong regen could be enough to send the rear sliding in certain conditions.
'15 Zero SR

mguw

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 05:30:05 PM »

No I don't think it is integrated.    The regeneration cannot stall because if stopped there is no regeneration torque anymore, which makes it an excellent stabilisation on dirt.   I did put it on maximum

A+ Marcel

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2015, 06:36:06 AM »

No I don't think it is integrated.    The regeneration cannot stall because if stopped there is no regeneration torque anymore, which makes it an excellent stabilisation on dirt.   I did put it on maximum

A+ Marcel

This is NOT correct and you are mistaken; I know because I have done it.  You can stall the rear wheel using too much regen IF you know what you are doing with settings or if you on a slippery surface.  If you are going along at 30mph and have instant-on high power regen set your tire will initially decel so fast that the wheel will skid.  You are correct that you can not stop the wheel from turning but it only needs to be turning at a very very slow rate...say 6 RPM or once around every 10 seconds.  Please make sure you fact check yourself people do believe everything they read on the internet. 

Also I hate to sound rude or anything but I must point out that the ABS system is a very GOOD system.  First of all it works when it counts.  I have been saved by the ABS system more than once already.  It is a SAFETY system not a toy.  If you are expecting it to work regardless of conditions and the driver then you want something more than can be installed on a motorcycle.  Need I remind you that your motorcycle has freaking anti-lock-brakes!  Think about the implications of that.  Your on a road and suddenly there is a gravel on a turn, you panic and you grab a fist full of "wohh Nellie".  On any other bike you go down because of your panicked reaction to the gravel.  On this bike you just shit your pants and get to go home and clean up.  Is it perfect. NO.  Are there better systems.  Yes.  Well it save your life?  Probably. 

I should point out that Zero does monitor these forums and does take posters thoughts into account.  I suggest that if you really have a problem with the system they are using that you take it up with them...directly.  I hate to be so rude but you have 2 pages of bashing this system and you want to remove it because it isn't what you expect when hitting the gas and brake at the same time or because it does not work the way you want.  I was surprised when my ABS disabled its self on dirt but I went to Zero and they worked with me on a common goal of getting to the bottom of the problem.   What I am saying is rather than bitch about it go talk to Zero, they are great people and care about their product.  Maybe you can work with them on a custom ABS system that punches you in the balls every-time you do something stupid so you don't do it again or something like that.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:58:09 AM by steven_first »

mguw

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »

Hello
I am not bashing Zero which motorcycle I love but the bosh system.
I am only speaking of my own experience and not of things I read somewhere.

Fact is that one time I did a straight in the bushes on dirt because of the system  and second fact is that I am able to stop on dry from 90km/h in 21m without and in 34m only with ABS.

If you  are not a good at braking,  I agree with you ABS is better than  you

Regards
Marcel

A+ Marcel
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:20:05 PM by mguw »
Pages: 1 [2]