• March 29, 2024, 11:35:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Solar charge my zero fx :)  (Read 2295 times)

mikesubzero

• View Profile
Solar charge my zero fx :)
« on: August 16, 2015, 01:16:09 PM »

some cool stuff

4x92ah > Bosch agm http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/838838/889/

3kw pure sine xantrex inverter charger  http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/inverter-chargers/freedom-sw-12v_newgen.aspx

400w poly solar kit from renogy with MPTT

works pretty decent i don't have a quick charger as of yet to try that out but im sure my inverter would handle that

http://imgur.com/a/WuYXm

confident when i go adventuring now i got power from sun to get me about :)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: Solar charge my zero fx :)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 08:43:03 PM »

Nice neat install and you can boil the kettle with it too! Plenty of space on the roof for more panels too, be interesting to hear your average energy production next time you go on a trip.

mikesubzero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 10:11:52 PM »

Yeah looking to add another 200 watts eventually as i have two battery banks the 400 watts in picture is going to the agms for the inverter stuff and the other 200 watts i would like to add will go to the other battery flooded lead acid bank for the dc related appliances and lights. Having the loads split across two banks helps keep the peukerts affect(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert's_law) low vs having one big ass battery bank and if i run my inverter batteries out still have power for heat and lights in the rv pretty sweet setup.

I believe the 5.7 has 2 like 27 ah lithium batteries(correct me if im wrong) so takes like 54-60 ah to completely charge based off the meter with just the onboard charger plugged in i see about a 6amp draw on my electrical power panel from the inverter and as it has 368ah total in that bank its drawing from i should be able to charge bike daily as well as have left overs for other stuff power wise :)

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 12:29:41 AM »

How did you get the ah rating on the Bosch batteries? I looked at the specs and I didn't see it.

Trikester

mikesubzero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 12:36:52 AM »

Its on the picture on the site if you zoom  its written on the batteries

the best part about the bosch agms is they come with a 4 yr warranty which is better then trojan or any of the other people who are providing agms geared for renewable energy projects and similar so for me best bang for buck good warranty and not too heavy all considered vs equivalent ah in trogan and weight would have been higher then boschs

https://imgur.com/0IFd0MH

Plus most places charge exorbitant shipping for batteries  with pepboys there local pickup(ship to your desired store) and no extra for shipping :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:39:45 AM by mikesubzero »

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 10:16:32 PM »

Very good, thanks.

One thing I wish solar panel manufacturers would do is start using a more realistic power rating of their panels. The power ratings now are open circuit voltage and short circuit current multiplied to give the wattage rating. Of course that is impossible to achieve since they are mutually exclusive.

I wonder if anyone has a formula to use that rating and reduce it to a power rating closer to what one would actually get? I just use half the rating as an estimate, but maybe there is a more accurate way to determine the real world power.

I'm sure that no manufacturer wants to be first publish a more real world spec, because they would look so bad compared to the competition, if people didn't understand the reason.

Trikester

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 11:02:37 PM »

Very good, thanks.

One thing I wish solar panel manufacturers would do is start using a more realistic power rating of their panels. The power ratings now are open circuit voltage and short circuit current multiplied to give the wattage rating. Of course that is impossible to achieve since they are mutually exclusive.

I wonder if anyone has a formula to use that rating and reduce it to a power rating closer to what one would actually get? I just use half the rating as an estimate, but maybe there is a more accurate way to determine the real world power.

I'm sure that no manufacturer wants to be first publish a more real world spec, because they would look so bad compared to the competition, if people didn't understand the reason.
Some panels may be rated like this, but most seem to use STC as a nameplate rating. For example, the Astroenergy CHSM6612P at wholesalesolar is rated at 310W STC (standard temperature conditions), 279.6 watt PTC (PVUSA Test Conditions, ie more realistic heating and lighting conditions). STC is rated at 35.8V 8.68A, OC voltage is 45.42V and SC current is 8.99A.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 11:03:49 PM »

They could publish the usual formula first and then give a real world translation rating.

mikesubzero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 06:14:50 AM »

Link to my solar kit

http://www.renogy-store.com/400W-Premium-Kit-p/kit-premium400p.htm

solar panel specs
http://renogy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/RNG-100P-Specification.pdf

hope that helps for those curious they work really good pull 80-90 volts typically every day when i check and even do pretty well on overcast days and have seen it pulling good volts when it was snowing even which suprised me

really like renogy and looking to try out there mono crystalline panels smaller 200 watt kit and see  if there is a difference

BenS

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 04:54:45 AM »

Nice.
2015 FX 5.7, DIY Electric "Jesse James" chopper bicycle, and DIY Electric 26" Lowrider bicycle. ('10 KTM 530exc, '06 GasGas EC250, '06 YZ450F, '06 GSXR1000.)

V155

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 01:33:26 AM »

Planning a set of solar panels also, Prices of electricity are considerable rising over here. If U load 8kw each day, U end up paying more then 500€ extra overhere, due to crap solar panel government funding a couple of years ago.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 06:03:30 AM »

Yeah looking to add another 200 watts eventually as i have two battery banks the 400 watts in picture is going to the agms for the inverter stuff and the other 200 watts i would like to add will go to the other battery flooded lead acid bank for the dc related appliances and lights. Having the loads split across two banks helps keep the peukerts affect(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert's_law) low vs having one big ass battery bank and if i run my inverter batteries out still have power for heat and lights in the rv pretty sweet setup.

I believe the 5.7 has 2 like 27 ah lithium batteries(correct me if im wrong) so takes like 54-60 ah to completely charge based off the meter with just the onboard charger plugged in i see about a 6amp draw on my electrical power panel from the inverter and as it has 368ah total in that bank its drawing from i should be able to charge bike daily as well as have left overs for other stuff power wise :)

So thats about 3.2 kw/h per day from the pannels (400 w X 8 hr) on a good day, so if you charge the bike every day, you have limited range  on the bike. 

If you charge the bike from 0 to full thats 2+ days of solar power, so you can't do that every day.
Maybe use the bike with only one battery installed.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:14:17 AM by grmarks »

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 08:05:40 AM »

Remember that solar flat on a vehicle is practical for the vehicle, but not optimal for the solar panel.  The panel needs to be tilted to the sun and out of the shade.  That is hard to do on a vehicle. 
Pages: [1]