• April 25, 2024, 07:16:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What are your top 5 recommendations for improving upcoming Zero Street models?  (Read 3786 times)

xmjsilverx

• View Profile

I know Zero is doing the best they can to make a great bike at a somewhat affordable price while growing the company but I think we would all like to see some things changed.  Here are my top 5.

1: More range - I would like to see a 200 mile highway range on these bikes.  I don't think it's impossible for them in the near future with cheaper battery costs and newer technology.  I am sure the price would have to go up some but this would make the bike much more desirable to people.

2: Cheaper cost - I realize this contradicts the first one but if they don't increase the range I would like to see the costs continually drop slowly.

3: Quick charge option - I think I could live with the slow 1.3kwh on board charger but I would really like to see them partner with Tesla supercharger network or work something out with Chademo to get a fast DC charge solution.  This combined with a 200 mile range would make touring trips on this bike easy.

4: Better cooling - If I am doing some spirited riding in 70 degree temps I can get it to 212 easily.  I know this isn't the overheat limit but it is where the warning comes on.  I hate to have to think about it overheating while doing fun back-roads or commuting in 90 degree weather.  I would be awesome if they could accomplish this without going to liquid cooling.

5: Larger rear tire - I know this one sounds silly and I am sure the smaller width rear tire makes for a more efficient bike but it also makes the bike look like a 250.  I would love to see a larger rear tire on there to give the bike a more powerful and aggressive look.

I am sure everyone has different things they would like to see changed.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

grmarks

• View Profile

And I would like a million dollars!

It isn't going to happen, the technology is not here yet to have an affordable 200 mile highway range bike yet. If you ignore price it would also be to heavy.

With current range price will come down over time, it won't happen next year though. There may be a reduction in price due to increased number of bikes sold.

Consider what the bike will be when battery technology becomes 4 times the current capacity. You could treble the current range and the bike would be lighter than it is now. That day will come but it most will likely take a few years. At worst batteries are getting 10% more energy dense each year. At that rate it will take 7 years to double in capacity, 14 years to be 4 times current capacity. But I would expect a "break through" before then. 

Erasmo

• View Profile

1. Fairing
2. DC charging

That's all I care for.

Chocula

• View Profile

1. Fairing
2. DC charging

That's all I care for.
+10

Maybe not all I care about but those are by far the 2 most needed.

xmjsilverx

• View Profile

grmarks, no need to be like that.  Obviously these are things I would like to see and if Zero can't do them then it's not a deal breaker but I also don't think they are too far fetched giving it 5 years time.  I did say in the near future.  Why the fairing option?  Is this for efficiency, speed, noise, looks?  It seems like everyone can agree on some sort of DC quick charge.  I would love to see something with the Tesla supercharger network.  I could be wrong but I think by the end of this year the number of super chargers will outweigh the chademos in the US and 2016 they will blow them away.  Also don't most Chademos cost $?  If there were some sort of partnership between Zero and Tesla that cost could be rolled into the price of the bike.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

Richard230

• View Profile

I would like to see a model with a larger chassis. That would make the bike more stable on the highway, provide more room for a passenger and luggage and also provide more room for additional batteries.  Plus, a larger chassis might facilitate installation of a 1/2 fairing design. Of course, that is not going to do anything for the price of the bike.   ::)  It will be interesting to see how well the Energica Ego sells once it arrives in the U.S. That bike is deluxe, but so is the cost and I wonder how large a market there is for an electric motorcycle at that retail price? 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile

I would like to see a model with a larger chassis.

I agree. I've always ridden sportbikes, but I'm getting too old to be bent over all the time, and I'd value stability over lightning-quick handling anymore. I've never been much for cruisers, but I think I'd prefer that at this point in my life...but give me an old-school "standard" like the classic KZ1000 and I'd be a truly happy camper. Comfortable, flexible, nice looking, competent at everything.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

KrazyEd

• View Profile

Richard230, the bike you are looking for has been showing here on the forum for a few weeks now.
The Chinese Goldwing replica.   8)
The president of our local EV club sums it up very well.
He says that there are three basic things you can have in an EV ( any vehicle really ):

Fast
Far
Cheap

Pick TWO

You can go Fast and Far, but, not cheap. ( Tesla )
You can go fast and cheap, it might only be to the end of the block, but, you can do it.
You can go far and cheap ( comparativley ) using HEAVY lead batteries, but, takes a while to get to speed, and, a while to slow down.

Given that I can buy Brand New Zero, or, few year old Top of the Line Nissan Leaf for less than a Lithium upgrade for
the Electric Toyota Paseo that I had 6 years ago would have cost me at the time, I am relatively content with the
speed of progress.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook

Yes, we all want fast charging.  Charging rate is the #1 stumbling block to EV adoption.  (price is a close 2nd)

Regarding Tesla superchargers: Tesla batteries operate at a nominal voltage of 375 Volts.  Zeros could only use that if the charging battery status was somehow different from the running status.  And it would take a minimum of 4 of Zero's batteries to get that high.  3 won't do it. 

With CHAdeMO (1,238 CHAdeMO to 211 Tesla Superchargers) we don't have to change the voltage for most of them.  Also, we would only need to change the battery charging status to be 250V instead of going all the way up to 375V. 

Assuming such a battery charging status change is feasible... 

I would also like to see another design instead of "commuter vehicle".  I'd like to see a cruiser, especially with a lower seat height for shorter people.  (Not for me, I'm 6'0", but have friends who want a Zero but haven't bought one because it's too tall.)
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

PhreaK

• View Profile

Another +1 to fast charging options. If charge time can be brought down (without needing to fit side / top boxes to lug around external chargers) there's absolutely nothing wrong with the current range. Without a doubt, charge time will continue to decrease and capacity increase giving us a happy middle ground, however seeing a significant jump rather than incremental improvement to charge time would be one of the best possible changes I could hope for in a future model.

Another +1 to that larger rear too. The current aesthetic of the bikes in no way matches their power.
2014 Zero SR

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook

Ditto about the tires!  I meant to mention that. 

Would love to see 120/70 on the front and 150/70 on the rear.  Or at least something that gives more options when choosing aftermarket tires.  In case you couldn't tell, I just got new tires and this was a bit of a dilemma.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

grmarks

• View Profile

grmarks, no need to be like that.  Obviously these are things I would like to see and if Zero can't do them then it's not a deal breaker but I also don't think they are too far fetched giving it 5 years time.  I did say in the near future.  Why the fairing option?  Is this for efficiency, speed, noise, looks?  It seems like everyone can agree on some sort of DC quick charge.  I would love to see something with the Tesla supercharger network.  I could be wrong but I think by the end of this year the number of super chargers will outweigh the chademos in the US and 2016 they will blow them away.  Also don't most Chademos cost $?  If there were some sort of partnership between Zero and Tesla that cost could be rolled into the price of the bike.

I wouldn't call 5 years the near future, but if you do then OK. Yes if there is a break through (and there are many different possibilities in labs at the moment) then it could happen in 5 years.

But for next year the fairing and DC charging is a really good choice. Why a fairing, because it could increase highway range by 20% with the same battery size.

Zero have said that Tesla DC chargers voltage is to high for the zero. Would it be possible to have some kind of "black box" to lower the voltage (a big resistor)?

I would also like to see a decent sized "in tank" lockable storage area. There is plenty of room to make the storage bigger. Maybe a storage area big enough to hold a power tank, if you see my point?

Has anyone ever removed the storage container and taken it with them some where?   

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile

#1 is Zero should do is make global pricing the same, there should only be dollar conversion, + duties/taxes + transport costs.
Adding 6K to 10K to price after conversion is ridiculous, especially when local dealer network carries no stock of parts and accessories.

#2 Service/repair manual with circuit diagrams

#3 fast DC charging support is a must.

#4 better aerodynamic /fairing.

#5 more info about Electric Vehicle Technology Zero needs to have more videos and interviews about their technology and where they plan to push technology for motorcycles.

NEW2elec

• View Profile

Great been waiting for a post like this and I'm sure Zero can put all this on the bike they will put out in a few months ;).  Range, charging speed, bike speed, price all great and I think Zero will always be trying to improve on those things so here are my smaller improvement wishes.
1. All settings able to be adjusted on the bike, no app needed.  App idea is cool may need some updating but I don't want to be dealing with a phone battery or dropping it with gloves on to set the bike up for max range or max fun. Built in GPS would be nice too :)
2. Usb connection for diagnostic work with Zero from home.  Sorry dealers but for firmware and BMS, MMB issues that most can't fix anyway makes no need to go pay a nice chunk of change plus hauling it around when they will do most of the "fixing" in CA.
3. Either a small laptop or tablet style battery or again usb power connection for the BMS, MBB so it can diagnose any problems regardless of the main battery's SOC with maybe a mico SD card for log storage easy to pull up and would be a hard copy if needed.
4. Lockable hinged lid for the storage tank because well frankly I would have NEVER even thought of going zipper. Its ok they had other things to think about at the time.
5. Parking brake, "slow" reverse (because we can) , LED lights all around (because we should) and helmet lock on the rear (because why not)
Ok so it ends up being more than five but all of them good in my opinion.

dkw12002

• View Profile

I may be one of the few who would want to see either Zero or another electric motorcycle company associated with one or more of the major manufacturers like Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki, (Harley, not so much), with trained technicians at all dealerships. That would get my attention. Other than fairings and a little tweaking of cost, most of these other issues are outside Zero's ability to do much at this time. Fast charging is only going to work well if there are lots of stations, like at most gas stations and it won't be motorcycles that causes that to happen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4