• April 25, 2024, 03:10:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Canyon carving today  (Read 1032 times)

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
Canyon carving today
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:58:27 AM »

Today is a beautiful day in the SF Bay Area so I got up early and hopped on the Zero. I wanted to do a little range check but I didn't want to go on the freeway - I wanted intermediate speeds to see what kind of battery consumption I would get. I decided to run some local canyons and I managed to get to four. For those of you that know the Bay Area it was Norris Canyon, Crow Canyon, Palomares Canyon, and Niles Canyon. The temps ranged between 70° and 90° so it was a warmish day. I had fantastic luck with traffic as three of the four canyons were clear in front of me and I got to run at my own speeds and really concentrate on my cornering techniques. I had a blast. None of these canyons is terribly technical so I was running between 30 and 60 mph for most of the time. After a nearly perfect ride I got home with 80 miles on the clock and 36% battery left. I even turned the bike off for a few minutes and then turned it on again to make sure that the remaining percentage would hold and it did. That projects out to 125 mile range for my non-PT SR which surprised me and I think is damn good. I was in Sport mode all day and even though I wasn't thrashing it I wasn't being gentle either. A range check is a great excuse for a ride. Today reminded me why I love being on two wheels.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:48:15 AM by MichaelJohn »
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Canyon carving today
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 06:48:25 AM »

Oh! I just moved to Oakland this Wednesday and have been settling in mostly.

Today I rode the east bay's Wildcat Canyon Road, Grizzly Peak Road, Tilden Park, finally down to Anthony Chabot park. I didn't even crack 50% doing that in sport mode on my 13 DS, but I did avoid highways.

Parenthetically, movers crated my DS and wound up loosening the throttle grip so I have to periodically re-position it. I have some grip glue ready, will probably try to apply it tonight.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 09:56:51 AM »

That is a bad thing about living in Vegas. Only 3 real options.
Scenic Loop, which is a minimum of 60 miles from my house
and back with a 3,000 foot rise in altitude. Doable on my FX
but WAY too hot in summer.
Mount Charleston / Lee's Canyon ( Only REAL option in Summer ),
Which is about a 75 mile round trip from my home and back with
about 5,000 foot rise in elevation.  Have been tempted on a few
occasions to try this as there is a LONG ( about 15 miles ) straight
downhill section. Could Cut 10~15 miles if I Charge at Sams
Club before starting UP. Should probably phone Lodge to see if I
could use some electrons there while having lunch. On board
plus hast charger should get me enough added range.
And, Hoover Dam Which is also too hot in summer.
Would be nice to be somewhere with nicer riding, but, wouldn't
want to leave here. For now, have to resort to one of my ICE
bikes for pleasure rides.Only ride them these days to keep things
circulating.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:59:19 AM by KrazyEd »

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:31:56 AM »

Today I rode the east bay's Wildcat Canyon Road, Grizzly Peak Road, Tilden Park, finally down to Anthony Chabot park. I didn't even crack 50% doing that in sport mode on my 13 DS, but I did avoid highways.

Parenthetically, movers crated my DS and wound up loosening the throttle grip so I have to periodically re-position it. I have some grip glue ready, will probably try to apply it tonight.
You inspired me to go out again - I just had to end the day with a ride on Grizzly Peak for a view of the SF Bay. Not as good on the battery range this time - 35 miles and I came back with 64% battery. That's what happens when When you spend time at 70 mph on the freeway.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 08:22:25 PM »

You inspired me to go out again - I just had to end the day with a ride on Grizzly Peak for a view of the SF Bay. Not as good on the battery range this time - 35 miles and I came back with 64% battery. That's what happens when When you spend time at 70 mph on the freeway.

You end up with a smaller battery.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 09:38:11 PM »

That inspired me to go from Oakland to Redwood City and back to meet friends last night, so now I have a pretty strong desire for a J1772/fast-charger solution! PlugShare listed some charging stations claiming wall-plug support, but I could not see it. I wound up troubling my friends who lived there for a plug-in in their parking garage.

Were it not for the strong gusty headwinds that I'm realizing are part of the bay-crossing experience, I think my Zero would have been able to handle it. The charge (over two hours) allowed me to get home without going dangerously under the highway speed limit. At least going from Oakland to SF and back is within comfortable range.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]