• April 27, 2024, 06:14:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Of Solid State Bulbs and Pizeoelectric Horns  (Read 1039 times)

Ron Sindric

• Olde Faerte
  • VOLTRON Rider of Zelda born of ZERO M/C
    • View Profile
Of Solid State Bulbs and Pizeoelectric Horns
« on: August 05, 2015, 05:29:40 PM »

Has anyone converted their ZERO from tungsten filament brake and turn signal bulbs to the new-style LEDS that have load equalizers built into their bases ?  Also has anyone modified their ZERO's brake lights turning them into both BRAKE and RUNNING LIGHTS with dual filament bulbs like a #1157.  My other bikes all have reeeeally loud horns from PIAA http://www.piaa.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=horns and WOLO MANUFACTURING http://www.jpcycles.com/product/360-102.  Considering the voltage and current draws on my Z-bike would I have any problems with any of these upgrades ?
VoltRON ;-}

KrazyEd

• View Profile
Re: Of Solid State Bulbs and Pizeoelectric Horns
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 02:26:32 PM »

I would have to think that the LED lights are going to be less draw, so, should not cause a problem.
As far as the horn goes, unless you are Jeff Clark going up Pikes Peak, I don't imagine that the horn
is going to be that big of a deal. The only issue might be that the horn draws more than the DC DC
converter allows. If that was the case, a small Lithium battery just for the horn could be put into place
for around $100. I have one on my SV 650 from Battery Tender that works great. It weighs 1.8 lbs., and
is equivalent to a 10~14 ah lead battery.  I can't see the horn taking more to run than it does to start my SV.
$108 on Amazon. There are smaller ones for less, but, why take chances.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 08:22:48 PM »

Unless I'm mistaken, the "load equalizer" resistors are only necessary if you have a bulb-monitoring system which checks for current through the bulb to see if it's burned out. Since the Zero has no such system, it shouldn't care about the load equalizers. Find some LED bulbs without them and you'll save some power, which is always good on an EV.

As far as the horn is concerned, I don't think I'd worry about Ed's concern about the DC-DC converter. The cigarette lighter adapter accessory alone is rated for 10 amps, and I remember once looking up the rating on the DC-DC converter and laughing out loud at how high it was, though I don't remember the specific value off-hand. I'd just worry about the switch and possibly a fuse being able to handle the extra current if you install a really heavy-duty horn.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Ron Sindric

• Olde Faerte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 06:47:54 AM »

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  The only reason I want a different horn is to ensure that I have a reeeeeeeal loud one if I ever need it !
VoltRON ;-}

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »

If you want a really loud horn you could check out the Stebel Nautilus, it produces a whopping 139dB.

Ron Sindric

• Olde Faerte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 08:52:36 PM »

THANK YOU !

It does not matter if you have an I.C.E.  or an ELECTRIC Bike, the rider needs to be seen and treated as an equal when it comes to sharing the road.  That is why I want the LOUD horn, wear leathers, gloves and a skid-lid topped with a yellow rubber duckie ( duck's name is DANIEL D. DUCK ).  'Sides being a bit nutz is part of the mistique of Two-Wheeling !

For what it is worth, my HARLEY SPORTSTER is named FELICITY, mt BMW K100RS is named BRYNHILDR, my TRIUMPH goes by BONNIE TRISH, and my ZERO goes by ZELDA.  Wonder.  How many other riders name their bikes and talk to them while riding.  I only worry when I hear my bike answering my questions  :D
VoltRON ;-}
Pages: [1]