• April 26, 2024, 09:09:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Update for Zero App  (Read 3997 times)

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
Update for Zero App
« on: July 13, 2015, 01:47:34 AM »

For Android (I don't know for iPhone) the Zero App [v. 1.4.56] was last updated in November 2016.  What new features / tweaks would you like to see on the app?

For myself...
  • I'd like to see some minor tweaks to the Riding Screen.  Currently, it only displays in landscape mode.  Personally, I like my phone in portrait.  It would be nice if all the individual squares could rotate.  We can now manually select between Portrait and Landscape.
  • It would also be nice to be able to configure multiple Riding Screens that can be easily accessed by swiping left or right.  I would configure one screen with: State of Charge, Trip Odo, Speed, Distance to Empty, Time to Empty.  And another with: Torque, Temp Motor, Watts, Temp Controller, Temp Battery Pack.
  • Finally, I'd love to be able to configure the Drive Setup even more, specifically the regen braking "curve".  I'd love to be able to have regen braking take me to a full stop, and be a bit more "aggressive" at higher RPM as well.  Ideally, a regen lever would solve that one, but that's a bit off topic...

Update: Here's a summary of what you've come up with broadly sorted into two categories.  I hope this helps Zero find some low hanging fruits...

Bugs / Annoyances:
  • Fix the bug where the app sometimes refuses to reconnect to the bike while the bike is charging, and you take your phone out of airplane mode, which disables the bluetooth function. This persists until the bike is powered on again.  Not sure if this has been fixed in the latest version.
  • Allow portrait and landscape viewing on all screens.  Currently the riding screen can be manually configured, but the app doesn't automatically rotate.
  • Swipe between battery pages instead of press.  The battery pages were consolidated into one long one.
  • The connected notification screen to disappear after say 30 seconds.
Feature requests:
  • Ability to change bike image, backstround and font colour.
  • Have multiple Riding Screens that can be easily accessed by swiping left or right.
  • Show "last data" instead of demo mode when "offline" and add estimate charge completion countdown and alert
  • Be able to configure the Drive Setup even more.  For example:
    • ability to tweak the regen braking "curve" more so as to be able to have regen braking take me to a full stop, and be a bit more "aggressive" at higher RPM as well.
    • ability to set the max speed to a lower value than 60mph.
  • Allow user accessible TXT log files and CSV data logging.
  • Include social sharing options about trip performance, ...
  • The ability to update the bike's firmware thru the app.  This was added for 2017 models (doesn't work with rooted Android phones).
  • Option for keyless ignition
  • Connect via wifi

Open source the app or publish API so others can fork it or develop their own?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 08:22:34 AM by Patrick Truchon »
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: Update for Zero App
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:53:08 AM »

I'd also like:

The connected notification screen to dissapear after say 30 seconds, its irritating pulling away, the app connects to the bike, and you have to stop to take off your gloves to press OK on the reconnected pop up screen. (Class 2 feature request)

The ability to set the max speed to a lower value than 60mph. (Class 3 feature request)

Fix the bug where the app sometimes refuses to reconnect to the bike while the bike is charging, and you take your phone out of airplane mode, which disables the bluetooth function. This persists until the bike is powered on again. (Class 2 bug)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 12:10:02 PM »

The ability to update the bike's firmware thru the app. Just download the update to the app and then the app connects to the bike to update the firmware. That would really future proof these bikes and help with resale if glitches could be fixed that easily.

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:07:58 PM »

The ability to update the bike's firmware thru the app. Just download the update to the app and then the app connects to the bike to update the firmware. That would really future proof these bikes and help with resale if glitches could be fixed that easily.
+1 to that. I'm not overly concerned with the riding screen, the ability to provide connectivity for remote troubleshooting and firmware updates is the killer feature that's missing.

Aside from that, would love to see the option for keyless ignition.
2014 Zero SR

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 06:19:09 PM »

Demo Mode avoidance - "Last data" instead
Once out of Bluetooth range I still want to reference my statistics without re-entering Demo Mode and display the "Last Data" upon launch rather than the Demo Data.

Non Diagnostic History Email
Allow the user accessible portions of the emailed log - TXT readable. Owners are logging data only at trip end, or at charge through a burdensome process which would be simplified by owner readable Logs of "non-proprietary" information.

Trip Performance History
Prior to processing a "Reset" archive the Trip Performance information in the application allowing for a "view history" to compare on device.

Average Speed to Trip Performance
Many users compare statistics and our varied average speeds make comparisons trickier than they need to be. The addition of an Average Speed would allow for a more realistic relative comparison.

Max Watts Per Mile to Trip Performance
I have alternate commuter routes that I would like to compare. Short and fast and long and slow. Adding a Max Watts Per mile (would fill the screen to six values) and provide insight into how much above the average where the higher speed sections.

Trip Performance / Battery State Sharing
Share selected statistics to Facebook, Google+, Email, Text or wherever the kids are sharing data now. My normal "arrival at work" message is "At work 76% battery 24 miles" and my "home message" is a notice to the other riders in the family "battery state, miles and time to full charge" all of which would be simplified by this feature.

Estimate Charge Completion Countdown and Alert
Most charging is done at basic outlets. Once Charging allow owner to exit bluetooth range and countdown the estimated charge state (use italics font to indicate estimate) and set an alert when charge is complete. This allows for full charge dependent trips to be taken as soon as possible.

• Change Bike Image
    Customize Background and Font Color.

I'd pay to upgrade integrated Mapping with Charge Location:
Map Routing with identification of charge points at adjustable (5%-20%) "discharge" rather than just "along the route" so us Benswing wannabees can plan our trips aided by the application and dream.  Allow saving of the trip - to link to the "Performance history".

Seconding
- Lower Custom Speed (learners)
- Update Firmware
- Portrait

I do not have a mount so I rarely use the driving screen (unzip and push lid into tank, drop phone on top to diagnose early temperature issue) but I am sure more features there may entice me to buy that mount.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »

How about just plain ole data logging? I can always cull down any data I have, but data that's never recorded is lost forever. Throw the mileage, speed, battery SoC, whatever's available into a file and let us pick what we want to keep. I wouldn't always want to keep all the data (or even very often), but it would be nice to have it when I want it.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 08:59:25 PM »

Yes!  Data logging like Voltsats.net with distance, avg speed, Wh/mi, fastest speed, kWh used, etc.  That would be amazing!  Downloadable to excel.

More custom modes would be cool.

I agree about the vertical riding mode.  I don't use it, but why not?

Connect via Wifi would be great, too. 
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 11:27:29 PM »

I would like the lower custom speed to be able to go way down. Not for learning but for technical dirt riding to spread the speed out over the whole throttle to something like 20 mph. Way too often I've been trying to "crawl" through a spot and had the bike jump forward because I "twitched" and opened the throttle too much.

It would be so much better to be able to program this low top speed in the app than by physically putting a switched resistor divider across the throttle pot.

Trikester

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 12:34:56 AM »

Below is my mail I sent to Zero last August 2014. I sent the mail to the Dutch zero-mail adres but got a response from Scot Harden (VP of Global marketing)  ::)

He did adres the limited manpower and budget they have for maintaining the app but thanked me for my input.

Having read that Zero is also reading the forums it is a good time to share my thoughts on the app again  :)

Worth noting is that my iPhone is setup in the Dutch language and that generates the language issues swell as the units etc. My bike is a 2014 SR.
The iphone app is at version 1.07 (July 2014)

1) Riding screen (while not actually riding) : The back button is very small and shows "Ter..aan" which probably is short voor "Teruggaan", this could also be just "TERUG" which fits easily within the button. Also just use capital letters like the rest on the screen.

2) Riding screen : the value for "SNELHEID"  (speed) is calculated incorrectly, when riding 100 km/hr on the dash, the app shows "90" instead of 100. At other speeds it is also some 90% of the value indicated on the dash. (probably setup the conversion factor to 1.5 instead of 1.609)

3) Riding Screen : the designation "TEMPERATUUR BATTERIJ"  does not fit and is shortened to "TEMPERATUUR BA...". Either split this into 2 lines or shorten to "TEMP ACCU" or "TEMPERATUUR ACCU"
    The same applies to "TEMPERATUUR MOTOR" which is shortened to "TEMPERATUUR MO.." this should be "TEMP MOTOR"  or 2 lines
    The same applies also to "TEMPERATUUR CONTROLLER"  which is shortened to "TEMPERATUUR CO..". this should be "TEMP CONTROLLER"  or 2 lines
(image001.jpg)

4) Riding Screen : several values have either no or the wrong unit : in the examples below :
        * "AFSTAND TOT LEEG" should have the unit "KM"
        * "TIJD TOT LEEG" should have the unit "H:MM"
        * "KOPPEL" should have the unit "NM" (newton meter) instead of "ft-lbs" (also ft-lbs should be in capitals, like the rest of all captions).
        * "TIME" should have the (ability for) 24 hour format (so 15:50 in the example below) and have "HH:MM" as unit.
(image002.jpg)

* "TRIP METER"  should have the unit "KM"
* "LAADSTATUS"  should have the unit "%" and the text "LAADSTATUS" is in a different place compared to all other texts in the riding screen
(image003.jpg)

5) Non Riding screens
All non riding screens are not available in landscape, only portrait. This is not very handy because the riding screen is only available in landscape. Ideally all screens would have both orientations available so people have a choice how to mount their phone on the bike.

6) Drive setup screen : When trying to enter the either the cost per liter of fuel, liter per 100 km a screen pops up with digits and a comma ( , ). However the app only accepts values with a dot. This way i cannot enter the correct values.
* The slider for "Max koppel gewoonte" should read "Max Koppel Custom" because it refers to the custom setting. This is also wrong in the english language, there it says Max torque ECO, but it is not the eco setting which is adjusted but the "Custom" setting.
* the slider "Max regenereren Gewoonte"  should read "Max regenereren Custom"
* the slider "Max regenereren remmen Gewoonte" should read "Max regenereren remmen Custom"
(image004.jpg)
(image005.jpg - next post)

7) "TRIP PERFORMANCE"  screen. Trip performance is not translated. this should be "TRIP GEGEVENS"
   * "$" sign should be "EURO" or "€"  8)
(image006.jpg-next post)

8) Main Screen
* The "TIJD TOT VOLLEDIG OPGELADEN"  field has no unit ("H:MM")
* The "Gem. Watt Uur Per km" Value is calculated incorrectly (still in Whr/mile) so about 160% off.
* The "CO2-besparing tov brandstof" unit is in "lbs" this should be "kg" for kilogramms
(image007.jpg-next post)

9) bluetooth connection on iphone 3GS the app does not reconnect to the bike automatically, i have to go to bluetooth settings and connect to the bike before the app functions correctly (this could be an IOS 6 limitation). update, i now use an iPhone 5 on iOS 8.4 and it still exists.

10) on the iphone 3GS 5 there are very annoying pop up screens when bluetooth connects or disconnects from the app. They can only be closed by clicking OK. Please make this auto-dissappear or do not show them in this way.

11) On all screens the (beautiful) zero LOGO is missing.

Some items I've come up since then.

12) I also have a pebble smartwatch and it's impossible to use both the zero app and the pebble watch simultaneously. I think they both use the same bluetooth serial port. I HAVE to switch of the bluetooth on the pebble to be able to connect to the zero.

13) on the battery page swipe for the next page.

14) the temperature of the motor is always reading about 10 degrees higher than the other sensors. My bike has been sitting in the garage for 3 day straight now (bad weather) and the temperature of the controller is 24 degrees, the temperature of the battery is 27 degrees and the motor is reading 35 degrees. Please not that my garage is very well insulated and the temperature has not changed in these 3 days. The bike's displays states 34 degrees celcius as temperature (so motor ?).

15) life average whr/km on the bike's display is 62.4 while in the app it states 73 on the battery page and 118 on the main page. The 118 on the main page is obviously an error in conversion from km to miles (118/1.609 is 73) but why is it different from the value on the bike's display ?

16) distance left on the bike says 131.9 km but app says 145 km

And personal favorites for some things you already mentioned above  ;D

17) multiple riding screens with swipe to switch the next/previous riding screen

18) Estimated charge time left with a countdown to fully charged and the estimated level of charge when too far away from the bike for bluetooth would be utterly awesome. When you're in a restaurant eating and waiting for the bike to charge you have the tendency to walk to the bike every 15 min. That does not make my girlfriend happy  8) if you could see a countdown timer on the screen with the time to full charge and the estimated charge level would help a lot.

19) log files to be easily readable for owners.

20) Dataloging of the last trip(s) would be awesome 

any more thoughts ?
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 12:35:58 AM »

and 3 more screenshots
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 02:36:52 AM »

Speaking of data logging, if anybody's not aware of it, you should check out Google's "My Tracks" app in the store. It's free, does an excellent job of logging GPS fixes on a ride, gives all the statistics you could want about a ride, and has an active display (driven by Google Maps) which is very cool by itself...although you can also run Google Maps on top of it to get guidance if you need navigation. Tracks can also be shared, as this one (from July 4th's Vetter Challenge in Northern California; you may notice that I didn't make it to the end!):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0tc8PZroqgNZzhEUTluV0g3T2c/view?usp=drivesdk
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 08:05:34 AM »

Has there been any published API for the app? Bluetooth isn't terribly complicated and I suppose I could just reverse the app, but I have a lot of things to do with my time :)

Cheers
--G

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 11:56:21 PM »

Zero, please listen to the people and update the app. I feel like the most polished portion of it is the demo section where it shows what you can do when you buy the bike...but then when you actually have the bike, it's a bit of a let down. Please update, then update yearly to keep up with new models. My 2015 SR that I just bought shows up as a 2013 SR...is that even a product?
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 06:45:29 AM »

Zero would not need to update app if they open source the app and  released api of app functions. The community could then add and improve the app. All the app is doing is displaying data from bike and logs. We all have great ideas to improve the app.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 08:04:38 AM »

They may not want to open the API up for safety and liability reasons. Just give me a yearly update, that's all I ask for!
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)
Pages: [1] 2 3