• April 24, 2024, 04:54:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cryptic Flashing Lights on '14 S zf11.4  (Read 1202 times)

Ron Sindric

• Olde Faerte
  • VOLTRON Rider of Zelda born of ZERO M/C
    • View Profile
Cryptic Flashing Lights on '14 S zf11.4
« on: July 11, 2015, 03:10:09 AM »

HELP !

My ZERO S is brand new and has had a defective dash, screws fall out, software upgrades that are dubious, and it has spent a month at a dealer trying to figure out what is going on with the BMS.  Now that the bike is back, the bike goes through its diags, all the idiot lights go out, then the SYSTEM WARNING INDICATOR and the ARMED INDICATOR together rapidly flash four times.  This flashing sequence is erratic and sometimes happens twice in a row before I actually get to ride.  ZERO TECH SUPPORT has been silent and will not tell me what is going on.  I told them I was unhappy and sure would like to get my money back.  I don't think they care about customers with problems.  They sure do care about selling bikes though !  Anyone seen this sequence of lights ?  The  OWNER'S MANUAL is the worst I've seen since 1974 when I started riding.

PLEASE someone drop me a line !

Does anyone know where JOHN LOGAN who used to work for ZERO ended up ?  How would I get in touch with him ?

VoltRON ;-}

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
Re: Cryptic Flashing Lights on '14 S zf11.4
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 03:56:28 AM »

Other than the flashing lights is the bike actually doing anything unexpected i.e. is it performing normally except for the flashing lights?

Are there are any error code numbers on the actual dash/display?

Can you connect your phone to the bike via Bluetooth?

If so then you there is an option to email the logs. You can email yourself the logs. Have a look in there for error codes and you can post them here so we can provide some more help.

That rapid flashing of the ignition and warning light may be associated with a battery isolation issue but we need the logs to confirm that.

BTW - providing background and reasons why you haven't been able to resolve this with Zero can be helpful in resolving the issue - complaining about user manuals, Zero only caring about selling bikes etc doesn't enamour others on the forums (who are great supporters of the company) to help you.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

Ron Sindric

• Olde Faerte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 07:36:15 AM »

Thank you for your comments.  You are right, I think the company is doing a good job of promoting some quite complex technologies.   Guess I expected too much.

One time, the bike just died.  It stopped cold on a cool day.  I turned the bike off, waited five minutes and it started again normally.  I have been using the APP with my MOTOROLA / ANDROID phone.  Right after the last flashing of the lights, I sent my bike and battery logs to the company.  Oddly, my TIME-TO-EMPTY  and  DISTANCE-TO-EMPTY were both showing strange and negative values !

I sent the codes using GMAIL so I can go to sent mail and retrieve the attachments.  So, I have copies of the logs but do not know how to open them to look for error codes.  Guess I'll play around a bit.

Battery isolation issues ?

As to feelings for the company, I'll say that when I first got my S zf11.4 I was a big champion of the company talking their products up whenever I could.  Being retired the almost $20K I paid was a bit of a shock to my wallet. 

Again, thanks for the help.
VoltRON ;-}

Ron Sindric

• Olde Faerte
    • View Profile
Re: Cryptic Flashing Lights on '14 S zf11.4 bike logs
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 07:49:36 AM »

I am attaching my 2014 ZERO S bike logs.  Am not sure how to "read" a binary file to find error codes.  Does anyone know how to ?
VoltRON ;-}

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 07:54:37 AM »

You can view most of the files by changing the extension from bin to txt and open with notepad or another text editor
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »

I learned that the customer sometimes ends up being an intermediary between the factory and the dealer.
I also learned that the first hundred miles or so are the first serious test of unstressed portions of QA, once worked through the results are much more likely to be problem free.

Zero has a process for the dealers to follow, and it is new to some of the dealers, and I do not know how consistent the process is  - but I do know helping the dealer was useful when my 2013 S had initial problems.

A chat with Zero determined that the dealer needs to "ask for x" while the dealer has been waiting for Zero to reply to their request for "y". Stay involved and stay and advocate for Zero at the dealer, and stay an advocate for the dealer at Zero.

In season the dealer may not be eager to tie up experienced mechanics and space on a problem which spans several days (or couple of weeks), so helping to be sure all "ducks are in a row" is important otherwise your machine may be idled by circumstances that a tricky to control.

Who is your dealer?

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 11:28:43 PM »

You can view most of the files by changing the extension from bin to txt and open with notepad or another text editor

Huh ! good to know !
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 11:29:44 PM »

I learned that the customer sometimes ends up being an intermediary between the factory and the dealer.
I also learned that the first hundred miles or so are the first serious test of unstressed portions of QA, once worked through the results are much more likely to be problem free.

Yep, that's why I prefer demos, they cost less and have been tested.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Ron Sindric

• Olde Faerte
    • View Profile
Need Answers ZERO Won't Give
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »

I have a 2014 S zf11.4 w/ POWER-TANK and have questions about aftermarket accessories.  ZERO will not answer my questions so I need HELP !

Will the SIGNALMINDER from KISAN ( http://www.kisantech.com ) work as a turn signal canceller for my bike ?

Will louder horns ( http://www.wolo-mfg.comhttp://www.piaa.com ) be compatible with my bike ?

Will PERMATEX DIELECTRIC TUNE-UP GREASE ( http://www.permatex ) be OK to use on the various plug connectors in my bike ?

I find the connector for ZERO'S QUIQ Quick Charger to be very inconveniently located.  So, I had Harlan Flagg of HOLLYWOOD ELECTRICS ( http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com ) fabricate an extension that makes it MUCH EASIER to use.

Lastly, I ride on snow and in the rain a lot and the absence of a complete fender ends up giving me a stripe of road grime up the back of my jacket.  My local HARLEY mechanic mounted a UFO-brand polycarbonate fender on the back of my bike that remedies the problem.
VoltRON ;-}

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »

Don't now the relay that a Zero has but if it's a standard one yes. Horn change shouldn't be a problem.
Pages: [1]