• April 25, 2024, 11:46:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero demo purchase?...need advice  (Read 1342 times)

Magpie3469

• View Profile
Zero demo purchase?...need advice
« on: July 06, 2015, 08:22:05 AM »

In another thread I described some misadventures I had with a newly purchased 2010 DS that I bought from a dealer in Florence, CO.  It turns out that, as I had feared, the batteries are shot, and in may have a controller issue as wellĺSo, it's back to California with the whole bike. :-\ Even though I bought it as is, the dealer is working with Zero to see if  they will give me a break on the repair costs.

But now I have the electric motorcyle bug again (I owned a Vectrix scooter I bought the first time they declared bankruptcy).  The dealer is saying that he will also get me a demo from Zero at his cost and with no fees.  The only DS that is listed is a 2014 with the bigger battery pack and the power pack.  It has a little over 1,000 miles on it, and the dealer thinks it only comes with a 1 year warranty (though I wonder if that is just for the motorcycle components, with a better warranty on the batteries).  He says it's listed for $9100, and I would only have to pay tax and $60 for registration fees.

I live about three miles out on a dirt road, and it's about another 10 highway miles into town.  My other drive is that plus about another 20 miles that is mostly highway.  While I may not need all that range, and had been thinking about the model without the power pack, it seems to me that the extra range wouldn't be a bad thing, and for me would probably outweigh the extra weight and decreased acceleration.

Here are my questions:

1.  Does that seem like a good deal?
2. Any other disadvantages  to this system, other than the lack òABS breaks compared to a 2015?
3.  Any thought/experiences with Zero demo models?

Of course, any other obserations and suggestions would be appreciated!

oobflyer

• View Profile
Re: Zero demo purchase?...need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 09:16:20 AM »

Sounds like a good deal to me. A brand new Zero with PowerTank will cost about twice that amount.

One difference between the '14 and '15 is the behavior when the batteries are getting low.
The '14 will start to lose power at around 6% or 7% charge, requiring you to ride more slowly to the nearest charging station.
The '15 will still run at full power until 0% - and then some. Some sort of electronic 'reserve' programmed into the firmware no doubt. (Maybe the '14 firmware can be upgraded?)

BTW - I also have a Vectrix ('07). I've been riding it for 7 years and 16K miles and it still runs perfectly. They made a good bike - it's a shame they went bankrupt.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 12:38:34 PM »

don't buy it, get a gas bike instead. you can get a new 250 or 300cc bike for around 5000$, that leaves you with 5000$ for gas, and seeing as a 250 has as good as performance as a zero, if you ride about 12000 miles a year, gas will cost you around 500$ i made the mistake of being an early adopter of this technology, thus I am an early victim of Zero's crappy product and customer disservice.

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 04:41:21 PM »

I would get them to check the warranty.  I bought a factory demo 2013 DS last fall that had a two year warranty from the date I purchased it.  Zero hadn't recorded it properly in the system initially, but they fixed it pretty quickly.
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »

It sounds like a good deal to me.  My 2014 S, with PT, has been very reliable and everything is holding up well.  So far it has saved me a lot of money on maintenance, compared with an IC motorcycle.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Magpie3469

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »

Thanks for all the input.  Patrick, I think I remember reading about that on another post, is that possible? Did you also get the 5 year battery limited warranty?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 12:59:34 AM »

Are you kidding me??  I'd take that in a heartbeat.   A 2014 DS for tax+$60, and a 1 year warranty?   No brainer!!  You are a lucky, lucky, dog.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

Magpie3469

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 08:51:57 PM »

Thanks,  fellow Coloradoan Paul. That might just have pushed me over the edge.  It's still a lot of $ for me,  and getting another gas vehicle probably makes more sense,  but i sure do like that clean,  quiet,  and free energy. ..

Magpie3469

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »

Anyone have experience with a demo model from Zero (as opposed to a dealer demo)?

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 11:19:16 PM »

Same thing
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Magpie3469

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 12:02:41 AM »

Cortez,  do you mean same thing,  that it's  a good buy?

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 04:25:54 AM »

That's an incredible deal. The 2014 is soooo much better than the 2010. Take that deal before they change their mind.

As far as the warranty, I believe the 2014 battery pack has a 5 year warranty, so maybe when you buy it it will have 4 years left.

In another thread I described some misadventures I had with a newly purchased 2010 DS that I bought from a dealer in Florence, CO.  It turns out that, as I had feared, the batteries are shot, and in may have a controller issue as wellĺSo, it's back to California with the whole bike. :-\ Even though I bought it as is, the dealer is working with Zero to see if  they will give me a break on the repair costs.

But now I have the electric motorcyle bug again (I owned a Vectrix scooter I bought the first time they declared bankruptcy).  The dealer is saying that he will also get me a demo from Zero at his cost and with no fees.  The only DS that is listed is a 2014 with the bigger battery pack and the power pack.  It has a little over 1,000 miles on it, and the dealer thinks it only comes with a 1 year warranty (though I wonder if that is just for the motorcycle components, with a better warranty on the batteries).  He says it's listed for $9100, and I would only have to pay tax and $60 for registration fees.

I live about three miles out on a dirt road, and it's about another 10 highway miles into town.  My other drive is that plus about another 20 miles that is mostly highway.  While I may not need all that range, and had been thinking about the model without the power pack, it seems to me that the extra range wouldn't be a bad thing, and for me would probably outweigh the extra weight and decreased acceleration.

Here are my questions:

1.  Does that seem like a good deal?
2. Any other disadvantages  to this system, other than the lack òABS breaks compared to a 2015?
3.  Any thought/experiences with Zero demo models?

Of course, any other obserations and suggestions would be appreciated!
2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 03:17:58 PM »

I was offered a similar(ish) deal except it was a 2013 Zero-S, trading in my 2012 ZF9. I bit their hand off for it, and I've not regretted doing so at all, not that it won't stop me trading up next year. ;)

The 14's are slightly better than the 13's as well.

Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 05:26:58 PM »

Sounds like a really good deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549
Pages: [1]