• May 04, 2024, 03:44:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My big trackday weekend : )  (Read 2058 times)

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
My big trackday weekend : )
« on: July 03, 2015, 10:40:45 AM »

Doing two days in a row, Thunderhill July 4/5 with Keigwins. First time to the track with the Zero, very excited to see how it goes. Wondering how it will hold up in the heat (mid-90's predicted)--is the motor going to cut out suddenly or will it limit power pretty smoothly? Also wondering how many sessions I will be able to wring out of the bike per day. Also bringing my Honda 919 as my second bike. I was on the fence about going (because of the heat) until I read this post: http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9077251&postcount=18 Sounds like a great deal, I had to do it.

I actually just swapped my master cylinder to a m/c with a 10mm piston, it has improved the brake feel a little... and for $15, it was hard to beat. The one issue is there is no mirror mount, but I do have a mirror mount on order.  It is almost identical to the Nissin M/C, surprisingly good quality, the levers are interchangeable and the light switch swapped okay (needed a couple small washers because the screw is slightly too long). When you calculate the brake caliper displacement to m/c displacement, the Zero is off the chart in a bad way...

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
Re: My big trackday weekend : )
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 11:13:28 AM »

Your Zero will protect itself when the motor overheats by restricting the power the controller can use. It shouldn't cut out but you will find it gets less performance once you go above about 110'C.

You will also need to keep an eye on the battery temperature as  it will go up with each track session. Once the battery gets to 50'C you will not be able to charge the battery.

I hope you have an extra charger as the stock charger will only allow you to do about an hour or so of track time even with charging between each session.

Good luck for the day, keep yourself and the bike in the shade as much as possible.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

Manzanita

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 11:37:21 AM »

Thanks for the reply, I didn't think about the charging being limited by the heat. I do not have any sort of external charger, just the plug, but hoping to get 3 sessions/day. I can ride an hour at 70 mph (I have the power tank), and so three 20 minute sessions (with charging in between plus an hour during lunch), I can always swap bikes and let the zero charge for a few hours after the first two morning sessions, so my thinking is that 3 sessions is do-able, barring any issues with heat.

I just saw that AFM races are July 6th/7th at Thunderhill, meaning these sessions will be filled with racers practicing--yikes!

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 12:17:26 PM »

Some good tips here from BrammoBrian .. obviously Empulse-centric, but most carry over to the Zeros.

http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=2653.0

120V charging is not going to be very fast. As a guess, a single 20 minute session will use about 6 kWh .. will be pretty heavily dependent upon the track and rider experience. Squeezing in 3 20 minute sessions will probably require 4-6 hours of charging at the track.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Manzanita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 01:12:35 PM »

My pace is slow. On similar 50 HP 500cc bikes on the track, I don't think I'm pinning the throttle more than 50% of the time. It seems no matter how hard I try to wring the Zero on windy roads, I can go 100 miles, and so I think worst case is freeway mileage, where I've gone 60 miles and had maybe 10% battery left. Comparing another bike with a different motor is like comparing gas mileage of different engines... Well, excited to find out. I can hold 80 mph on the straights (instead of just trying to pin it) and maybe that will save some battery.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 06:50:11 PM »

Only use 80%throttle

flooring it you will overheat
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 09:19:58 PM »

Manzanita, do me a favor and report back with how it went? Things you'd do differently, what went well, etc?
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 09:21:28 PM »

Does the track even have EV charging points you could run something more through?

Cheers
--G

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 09:26:25 PM »

I'm sure there's some heavy duty 120, since people will be using power tools often. Probably hook up a few 1000 watt chargers in there.
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 05:12:58 AM »

You could bring a fan or two to speed up the cooling between the sessions.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 05:25:24 AM »

More importantly than all that don't run flat out every corner hold the throttle at max position where you have been on freeway without overheating, normally its under 80 for me 70-75 keeps it cool enough, barely
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Manzanita

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 08:31:25 AM »

Well today was a little chaotic, but went well; I was able to do three full sessions, each one  drawing about 30-36% of the battery--I actually did four sessions, but the first one was sighting laps at low speed and only used 6% of the battery. The bike performed well, I was getting the warning light coming on occasionally, and feeling a loss of power at times, but it never cut out suddenly, and I didn't really have to change my throttle behavior--in other words, I rode like it would take whatever I could give it, and it pretty much did. This is really impressive because it was HOT--97 degrees during my 3pm session.

Because of an accident in the 10:40 A group, we missed the following session, and I did not do the last session, so I only did one session with my other bike--and switching bikes really killed my confidence on the 919... I was happy to jump on the zero at 3pm when it had a good 3+ hours of charging, back up to 53%. I put on my video camera and the quality is not great but I will post up  a link when I get that uploaded.

Most of the actual riding was simply limited by my skill level. They ran A, B+ and B-, I was in B- and it was basically C group with a different name. I occasionally scrape the pegs on windy roads, but only had that happen a few times on the track today. My other worry was the grip limits with the tires (Michelin PR3 rear/PR4 front), these are long-wearing sport touring tires, not made for track. The heat really cooked them. At the pace I was running, the grip was fine. I never felt them getting greasy, but I was pretty conservative. I had put the suspension back to the original Catalyst reaction settings last night and it worked fine, very stable.

There were plenty of RV hookup outlets along the pit area wall, but they were almost all taken, I had to hunt around but found one, unfortunately in the full sun. I do think the charging was limited by the heat, as my first charge was over an hour and only increased the charge by 6%.

So to breakdown the discharge rate per 20 minute session:

Session 1 (sighting lap): 100% to 94%

Session 2: 94% to 64%

charged ~ 1 hour: 64% to 70%

Session 3: 70% to 36%

charged ~ 3 hours: 36% to 53%

Session 4: 53% to 23%

- Finished with 23% charge...

I got back to the motel and the logistics of simply finding an outlet was challenging. There were three outdoor outlets that I tried, and all were broken or disconnected. Finally, I removed the screen from my window and ran an extension cord from my room to the bike--luckily the parking space was just outside my window.

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »

Great that you got that many sessions in. For comparison, how many would an ICE rider have done?

Cheers
--G

Manzanita

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 03:32:51 PM »

Well typically here they run one session per hour 9am - 4pm, with an hour for lunch, so seven sessions. I think the last session today was less than 50% attendance because of the heat. So without a quick charge scheme or a second bike you're going to lose some track time.

Here is my video:

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 09:27:18 PM »

Well typically here they run one session per hour 9am - 4pm, with an hour for lunch, so seven sessions.
So normally someone would ride all seven sessions?

Nice video!

Cheers
--G
Pages: [1] 2