• April 25, 2024, 12:48:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thinking hard about the SR  (Read 1179 times)

GambitDash

• View Profile
Thinking hard about the SR
« on: June 28, 2015, 05:40:23 AM »

Finally got some clearance to get myself a bike again - last one was a Minsk in Vietnam over 10 years ago) and am thinking really hard about the SR and S. With a pretty busy schedule, I will be using it for fairly short commutes (<10 miles) but want to have the opportunity to do longer rides a few times a year (yeah,  maybe I am looking at two very different bikes).

My local dealer (Triumph of Seattle) doesn't have any SRs I can test, but I really enjoyed the 15 minutes I had on the S. So, for the community at large, should I just go all-in sight-unseen on the SR? Or should I try to wedge in a test drive on a bike the next time I am in SJC first?

As a related question, do the various range extender packs make much of a noticeable difference in the ride? I wouldn't need them usually, but it would be great to be able to go to some of the outskirts. 95miles of highway range isn't much for a 6 hour charge time, alas :/ No chance is going to Portland (170 miles), unless I can hot swap battery packs somehow :)

Cheers
--G

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
Re: Thinking hard about the SR
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 08:01:43 AM »

I never did demo the S but I demoed the SR and bought the SR.  I mainly bought the SR because I needed the longer range and for the S with the same range it wasn't much cheaper.  I think if you like the S you will love the SR.  The acceleration is amazing from 40-70mph.  I do not have the power tank so I cannot comment on that either.  Going electric has some drawbacks but also some pretty cool benefits.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 08:21:57 AM »

I personally would go with the SR you will not be disappointed, you can never have too much power but you can certainly have too little. I think for the price difference it is well worth it. I only got to test the SR but I now know anything less will be a disappointment.  Also as far as the power tank, that is always something that you can get later on. You do not have to get it at the same time as you get the bike. That way you can experiment on the bike and see how many actual miles you get, and if you need more you can always opt for the power tank. That is what I plan to do since I also will just be using my bike for around town riding once I get it of course.

Whatever you decide I am sure you will be satisfied since they are amazing bikes, like nothing else out there.
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)
1983 GS450A Suzukimatic (Sold)
2016 Dong Fang 200SST (Sold)
2017 Super Soco TS1200R (Current Bike)

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 09:46:40 AM »

Fast acceleration is whats fun about motorbikes, SR just has so much more, best just to go all the way and be happy, I know I be always questioning if it was best decision if I did not get an SR. spend more and have no doubt just pure enjoyment :). Remember acceleration is silent, No  attension unlike reving a gas bike. Still waiting to get an SR.
Use the money you plan for powertank and put it into an SR. Later you can upgrade if needed.

Also their may be an DSR next year to make it even harder to choose.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:51:23 AM by firepower »

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 10:28:43 AM »

The SR is the same frame as the S, but faster.  Nobody ever regrets getting an SR.  Some people love the S, but a few wish the had gotten the SR. 

I would have been happy with a Zero S, but am absolutely thrilled with my SR!
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »

Just echoing the above. The S is by no means a bad bike, however if you can justify the additional price your your needs / wants / desires, the SR is amazing.
2014 Zero SR

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 08:32:40 PM »

It's really simple
Do you want to go fast?
You answer yes by the sr if you don't answer yes get the s
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 09:30:40 PM »

Haha thanks for the fairly uniform "go faster" feedback :)

Let me turn this around a little bit: has anyone opted for the S over the SR for any reason besides price?

I might - since I have to ATGATT-up anyways - defer a little bit of cost and get the extra tank later. That would also let me put some dummy weights in place and see if the extra weight matters to me or not.

Cheers
--G

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 11:09:06 PM »

Get the SR, you won't regret it. But the power tank isn't exactly hot swappable. What you probably want is a J1772 adapter and a quick charger or two. A 1-3 hour (depends on the investment in chargers you make) of charging half way through your long trip while eating or shopping, and you'll be set.

http://hollywoodelectrics.com/product-category/performance-products/
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 11:56:40 PM »

Get the SR, you won't regret it. But the power tank isn't exactly hot swappable. What you probably want is a J1772 adapter and a quick charger or two. A 1-3 hour (depends on the investment in chargers you make) of charging half way through your long trip while eating or shopping, and you'll be set.

I hadn't realized that it was quite that plug and play, assuming you can find an open charger socket. Dropping $1800 on the Elcon and J cable adapter for a top up charge half way to Portland is expensive but makes it a feasible trip to do in a day. No difficulties with packing those along in a side case?

Looks like I need to start a spreadsheet for all of the accessories I will need, haha. Maybe I should have gone with sailing like my wife wanted ;) (because owning a boat is so much cheaper haha)

Cheers
--G

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 12:45:27 AM »

I hadn't realized that it was quite that plug and play, assuming you can find an open charger socket. Dropping $1800 on the Elcon and J cable adapter for a top up charge half way to Portland is expensive but makes it a feasible trip to do in a day. No difficulties with packing those along in a side case?

Looks like I need to start a spreadsheet for all of the accessories I will need, haha. Maybe I should have gone with sailing like my wife wanted ;) (because owning a boat is so much cheaper haha)

As a fellow Seattlite, you should know that the definition of a boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.

FYI there may be better charging options available in the next year. But Ben Rich is demonstrating that these chargers can be mounted on the side and taken cross country pretty well.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 01:15:05 AM »

As a fellow Seattlite, you should know that the definition of a boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.

FYI there may be better charging options available in the next year. But Ben Rich is demonstrating that these chargers can be mounted on the side and taken cross country pretty well.
Or that you pump the water out by pouring the money in, yeah.

As someone with long term roadmaps for the tech industry, it makes it tremendously difficult to purchase a computer when you know exactly how much better the "next" model is. Don't have that problem here, and it seems like (baring some completely ridiculous change in battery technology) the 2016 model will be more iterative than fundamental.

Any concrete information otherwise?

Cheers
--G

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 01:27:45 AM »

As someone with long term roadmaps for the tech industry, it makes it tremendously difficult to purchase a computer when you know exactly how much better the "next" model is. Don't have that problem here, and it seems like (baring some completely ridiculous change in battery technology) the 2016 model will be more iterative than fundamental.

Any concrete information otherwise?

My advice: buy the machine ASAP so you get the benefits now. These machines pay off best when you have a substantial daily commute, basically when your needs regularly maximize the machine's capabilities.

There will be depreciation but you'll also cut your maintenance and consumables budget. The usual economic model indicates that they fully pay off after 60-75k miles, but that doesn't account for time spent. Also, these machines are fun, and you should not delay fun if you don't need to. :)

That said, there are a few threads on this forum about specific development of: an L2 charger that fits in the tank bin, a Chademo plug that may be able to adapt to high voltage inputs, and the Vetter aerodynamic fairing. I want all of these on either my current 13DS or a 15/16 model if that supports it better.

For now, I have a great commuter and I'm promoting these things so there's a larger market that will support touring, :)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]