• March 29, 2024, 01:47:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Has Anyone Lowered Their Zero Yet?  (Read 10311 times)

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
Re: Has Anyone Lowered Their Zero Yet?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 11:17:30 PM »

I am pretty sure 2 inches lower would do it but maybe I don't even need quite that.  I think if you could drop it 2 inches you would be there or really close.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 11:29:25 PM »

I am pretty sure 2 inches lower would do it but maybe I don't even need quite that.  I think if you could drop it 2 inches you would be there or really close.

Great thanks for your response. I can't wait to get my SR!
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)
1983 GS450A Suzukimatic (Sold)
2016 Dong Fang 200SST (Sold)
2017 Super Soco TS1200R (Current Bike)

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 12:18:25 AM »

I lowered my 2013 FX. The front fork can be slid up in the clamp by one inch. For the rear I had a local shock repair / re-build for racing shop put a 3/4" spacer inside the shock, to stop its extension length by 3/4". Since it is about 2:1 lever ratio from the shock mount to the rear axle this would lower the rear of the bike by about 1 1/2".

I initially tried to find a shorter shock that would fit but I gave up on that and went with the spacer. Since that requires opening the shock and then re-charging it I had to have a shop do the work. The guy made a nylon spacer to fit the shaft and internal space.

Trikestyer

I recently acquired a "brand new" 2013 FX, and would like to lower it similarly.  With the 3/4" spacer in the shock, does the spring require any modification, or does the preload adjustment go that far down?  [looking up shock rebuild shops as we type;]
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 12:20:08 AM »

WOW trying to figure out how low the SR can get is more difficult than I thought. I can't seem to find a definitive answer. My dealership didn't even know that the bike could be lowered. When asked the factory, I was told the current suspension would lower the bike 3/4" but that is more for the weight settings than actually lowering the bike. Was told that I would need to buy and put on new shocks but when asked how low that would bring the bike down I get no answers. I was hoping for a little more info on this, if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 03:26:38 AM »

Knowledge like this doesn't grow on trees. Why do you think anyone would know this? Someone has to be the first to try.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 03:34:25 AM »

A 13 fx can be choked up quite a bit in the front

To lower the rear for the fx you would be forced to loosen it to relax the spring out or try and buy a xu rear shock, that will drop the rear about 1-1.5"

I would think the 15s can be choked up in the front but the rear I don't know if you can without getting a different spring
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 03:44:36 AM »

Knowledge like this doesn't grow on trees. Why do you think anyone would know this? Someone has to be the first to try.

I was told quite a few bikes have been lowered, and was only trying to see if anyone on here was one of them. Apparently only one place does it but can be lowered 1.5-2 inches. I had to contact the one place that does it and find out from them. I was only looking for the few that have had it done.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 03:50:52 AM by Straightedg4lif »
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 12:10:04 AM »

I recently acquired a "brand new" 2013 FX, and would like to lower it similarly.  With the 3/4" spacer in the shock, does the spring require any modification, or does the preload adjustment go that far down?  [looking up shock rebuild shops as we type;]

I did think the spring was too stiff after the spacer was put in. I backed it off as far as I could and still wanted more. So I split the top locking ring with a chisel, to remove it, and gained about another 1/8" travel of the adjustment ring to its stop. I'm OK with the spring now but I'm around 230 lbs. If I was lighter I might want even less spring stiffness.

Trikester

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 07:06:14 AM »

Sounds like I'll need a custom spring... 170lbs, wear 30" inseam jeans!  That 35" seat height is challenging!  May still end up at Corbin...

Thanks, Trikester!

Found a candidate shop nearby that advertises "lowering" and has many good reviews... Evolution-Motorcycles.com

I'll give them a call when the bike is done being repaired from its shipping damage en route from Chicago... :(
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 10:57:39 AM »

I am also 5'9" with 30" inseam and I feel I can almost put my feet flat, maybe need another inch. But in any case, I have a sloped driveway and don't have any issues. For example, at stop lights for a few minutes, I can have one foot down (flat?) and the other on the peg and it doesn't feel awkward or tiring at all.

But I will say, lowering the front seems sketchy because it's going to quicken the (already too quick IMHO) front geometry, whereas lowering the rear will hopefully improve it. When I walk up to the bike my impression is the rear is jacked up and could be lowered 1-2" without clearance issues. I am thinking of experimenting with a shorter rear shock but the clearance around the top shock mount is low, the fastace shock is pretty small. But usually the mounting bolt is generic and spacers can be used...

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 04:34:46 AM »

But I will say, lowering the front seems sketchy because it's going to quicken the (already too quick IMHO) front geometry, whereas lowering the rear will hopefully improve it. When I walk up to the bike my impression is the rear is jacked up and could be lowered 1-2" without clearance issues. I am thinking of experimenting with a shorter rear shock but the clearance around the top shock mount is low, the fastace shock is pretty small. But usually the mounting bolt is generic and spacers can be used...

That's another big reason that I lowered the rear after lowering the front. I wanted to restore or even increase the front wheel trail because I ride a lot of soft sand. The more trail the better, because as the front wheel sinks in the sand it is reducing the effective trail and increasing the forces trying to turn the wheel to the side. Since I'm not riding technical singletrack the slower steering, with more trail, doesn't matter to me.

Trikester

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 02:29:27 AM »

I lowered my Zero SR about 20mm by putting a spacer in the rear shock and by replacing the top triple clamp with a flat custom triple clamp. The stock top triple clamp has the steering nut 20mm above the top of each fork. This did not change the geometry of the bike but it did lessen the amount of travel in the rear shock (not a problem as the bike is setup for the track). If anyone is interested I can send a photo of the top triple clamp. I use racing clip-ons for the track but also have a set of Apex clip-ons with risers giving a  high handlebar position similar to the stock bike.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 05:29:27 AM »

I would love to see a picture been thing about doing clip-ons on one of my bikes

I take it you machines a entire new triple clamp
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 05:59:11 AM »

Yes, my friend has a CNC lathe and machined a top triple clamp to fit perfectly. I could ask him to do another one for anyone who is interested in going to a clip-on setup and wants to lower the bike by 20mm. You lose the ignition barrel and we made a small bracket to mount the display and you need a bracket to attach the top of the headlight. You also lose some weight as the stock top triple clamp is heavy :)

Here are some photos of the standard top triple clamp versus the custom one. Race clip-ons are Vortex - they need to be 49mm in Vortex.

Apex riser clip-ons at http://www.apexmfg.com/all-products/product/view/11/172. I have spare pair of these if anyone is interested (these are 50mm).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:11:42 AM by evtricity »
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »

What year is your bike?
I have a Cnc but if you have the program if just buy yours again....
What is the top shock diameter? On your bike? It may fit my custom but not my original 2013 fx
Most importantly what is the shaft diameter of the giant bolt pressed into the bottom clamp, what is you od of that rod the nut attaches to

I'm in Mexico right now so I'll get you my dimensions in a little, I took a 2014 sr front and machined a bolt to adapt it with the 2013 bearing size so I could fit the s suspension on the fx platform.... Monster supermotard, it's not a Showa but because the forks are made for a 500 lbs bike it actually works very well for aggressive street riding on the lighter fx platform

Thanks for the info
I might want those clipons!!! Soon as you let me know about the top clamp.
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4