• April 26, 2024, 05:20:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Has Anyone Lowered Their Zero Yet?  (Read 10387 times)

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
Has Anyone Lowered Their Zero Yet?
« on: June 25, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »

Hello all, I am sure that most people have read all of my questions about purchasing an SR, but wanted to know if anyone has had their bike lowered yet? Me being a shorter rider, definitely will be getting my bike lowered some way. Just not sure which would be the best option available. I would like it to be as low as possible for me since I am only 5'3. Does anyone know if they have a shorter shock, or if I can have it shortened? Lowering the suspension and how much can it be lowered? I know that I would also need to lower the front of the bike as well so that it is equal. I also know a lot of people who would recommend that I not lower the bike since it messes with how well the bike handles. Just trying to get some ideas and see if anyone has done it successfully yet and if so how low did you go?
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)
1983 GS450A Suzukimatic (Sold)
2016 Dong Fang 200SST (Sold)
2017 Super Soco TS1200R (Current Bike)

trikester

• View Profile
Re: Has Anyone Lowered Their Zero Yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:58:12 PM »

I lowered my 2013 FX. The front fork can be slid up in the clamp by one inch. For the rear I had a local shock repair / re-build for racing shop put a 3/4" spacer inside the shock, to stop its extension length by 3/4". Since it is about 2:1 lever ratio from the shock mount to the rear axle this would lower the rear of the bike by about 1 1/2".

I initially tried to find a shorter shock that would fit but I gave up on that and went with the spacer. Since that requires opening the shock and then re-charging it I had to have a shop do the work. The guy made a nylon spacer to fit the shaft and internal space.

Trikestyer

Blotman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 12:23:43 AM »

I can't answer your question. However, I am about as tall as you and can touch both toes to the ground. For 99% of all stops though, I flat one foot on the ground with the other on the peg holding the rear brake. Not sure if this is your style, but doing it this way I doubt you'd have any problem whether or not you find your lowering kit.
'13 Zero S ZF12.5, '15 Zero SR ZF12.5

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:51:46 AM »

I can't answer your question. However, I am about as tall as you and can touch both toes to the ground. For 99% of all stops though, I flat one foot on the ground with the other on the peg holding the rear brake. Not sure if this is your style, but doing it this way I doubt you'd have any problem whether or not you find your lowering kit.

Are you able to back your bike up and feel secure doing so? I have to back my bike out of my driveway every morning, and I can't imagine trying to do that without having both feet in full contact with the ground. It may not be a problem very often, but I'd worry about the occasion when you have to back out of a parking space or something.

For the life of me I can't understand why the seat on my bike (2014 SR) needs to be six inches higher than the seat on my buddy's new Sportster.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 01:24:04 AM »

Are you able to back your bike up and feel secure doing so? I have to back my bike out of my driveway every morning, and I can't imagine trying to do that without having both feet in full contact with the ground. It may not be a problem very often, but I'd worry about the occasion when you have to back out of a parking space or something.

For the life of me I can't understand why the seat on my bike (2014 SR) needs to be six inches higher than the seat on my buddy's new Sportster.

I ride a DS in very hilly Seattle, and would love a reverse gear for backing uphill but generally just orient the bike ahead of time to avoid this. Backing up downhill is easy because of the perfect torque control.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 06:35:11 AM »

I personally like to be able to flat foot my bikes, or as close as possible to it anyway. It makes me feel a lot more comfortable, and puts my mind more at ease in certain situations. Especially when backing up the bike as Doug S has said or in stop and go traffic. I like to walk my bike in traffic, and not being able to put my feet firmly down makes me nervous in those situations.

I just hope the 2016's do not have a higher seat height than the 2015's .

I lowered my 2013 FX. The front fork can be slid up in the clamp by one inch. For the rear I had a local shock repair / re-build for racing shop put a 3/4" spacer inside the shock, to stop its extension length by 3/4". Since it is about 2:1 lever ratio from the shock mount to the rear axle this would lower the rear of the bike by about 1 1/2".

I initially tried to find a shorter shock that would fit but I gave up on that and went with the spacer. Since that requires opening the shock and then re-charging it I had to have a shop do the work. The guy made a nylon spacer to fit the shaft and internal space.

Trikestyer

Glad to hear someone that has lowered their bike and 1 1/2" is a good amount. May I ask what the problem was in finding a shorter shock, are they not made for Zero bikes at all?
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)

Blotman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 07:24:38 AM »

Backing the bike does take longer on my toes than flat on my feet. Any time I need to back the bike up, it is almost always out of a parking spot and I always do that dismounted as the bike is "booting up".

I personally like to be able to flat foot my bikes, or as close as possible to it anyway. It makes me feel a lot more comfortable, and puts my mind more at ease in certain situations. Especially when backing up the bike as Doug S has said or in stop and go traffic. I like to walk my bike in traffic, and not being able to put my feet firmly down makes me nervous in those situations.

I do agree, it would be nice to flat both feet down and I'd be scared if I ever had to back up in traffic. Honestly, it is one of the big reasons why I originally wanted a cruiser, but riding this way for so long has made it weird for me to put both feet down even when I do get to ride a cruiser. Creeping it forward is amazingly effortless and precise on electric though.

I know it sounds like I'm just throwing compromises at you, but the fact stands that I'm a person your height who rides this bike originally with similar concerns, and all these issues may turn out to be non-issues for you just as it did for me.
'13 Zero S ZF12.5, '15 Zero SR ZF12.5

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 07:26:37 AM »

...or in stop and go traffic. I like to walk my bike in traffic, and not being able to put my feet firmly down makes me nervous in those situations.

One of the most striking things about these bikes is their perfect throttle control, down to and including zero speed. Walking the bike is fantastically easy -- you'll still want your feet down for balance, but you don't have to do any pushing at all. Just tickle the throttle a tiny bit and the bike will propel itself at any speed you want, even at sub-walking speed. I've loaded my bike into a trailer on a ramp and it's ten times easier than any other bike...just hold the handlebars and walk next to the bike as it powers up the ramp very slowly. That kind of precision is very difficult to achieve with a clutch on an ICE bike.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 03:09:55 PM »

They are also *reasonably* easy to push when you run out of juice... not that I'd know  :-[
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »

I do agree, it would be nice to flat both feet down and I'd be scared if I ever had to back up in traffic. Honestly, it is one of the big reasons why I originally wanted a cruiser, but riding this way for so long has made it weird for me to put both feet down even when I do get to ride a cruiser. Creeping it forward is amazingly effortless and precise on electric though.

I know it sounds like I'm just throwing compromises at you, but the fact stands that I'm a person your height who rides this bike originally with similar concerns, and all these issues may turn out to be non-issues for you just as it did for me.

No, I appreciate you telling me about your experience with the bike. I know that I can ride it with its current height but would feel a lot better if it was lowered. I say this since I rode an Aprilia Mana before and could not flat foot it and made me nervous in certain situations. Also the bike was 100 pounds heavier than the Zero so of course that made a difference.

I was hoping for so more lowering options but doesn't seem that many people have adjusted their bikes. That is the one thing that I really hate about most of the sport style motorcycles is the seat height. That is why I currently ride an '83 Suzukimatic because it has no clutch which I love and I can flat foot it. I wish that they would take into consideration some of the vertically challenged people and make more bikes adjustable. I am talking a good bit like it can be lowered or even made higher for the tall people by quite a few inches. Wishful thinking I guess. When I demoed the SR I was told that there are some options but they can be pretty pricey. I think I would need to have a custom shock made or something like that, or at least that is what I think the dealer stated.
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 02:16:27 AM »

Glad to hear someone that has lowered their bike and 1 1/2" is a good amount. May I ask what the problem was in finding a shorter shock, are they not made for Zero bikes at all?

I couldn't find one but I didn't look extensively. I got the spacer put in for $100 but I'm sure that price will vary a lot.

I also have the low Corbin seat.

Trikester

BTW - I'm tall but riding mostly dirt I wanted to be able to be flat footed in rough situations. I don't ride hard and do jumps so the reduction in travel is not a problem.

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 08:18:12 AM »

I am about 5'9" and I cannot flat foot my bike.  My wife does say I have a long torso so maybe my legs are shorter than a normal 5'9" guy but I can't imagine you will be able to lower the bike enough to flat foot it.  I have had a few issues backing up but if I plan my parking a little better I don't think I'll have any issues.  Good luck.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 08:26:12 AM »

I am about 5'9" and I cannot flat foot my bike.  My wife does say I have a long torso so maybe my legs are shorter than a normal 5'9" guy but I can't imagine you will be able to lower the bike enough to flat foot it.  I have had a few issues backing up but if I plan my parking a little better I don't think I'll have any issues.  Good luck.

What is you inseam? Although I am only 5'3 I have almost a 30 inch inseam. Probably around 29 1/2 or so maybe a little more. Even if I can't get it low enough to flat foot I would like it as close as possible. Thanks for your response.
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 08:35:55 AM »

I would say I am probably about a 31 inseam although I buy 30's.  So if you are a 30 you will probably be about similar to me.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 08:40:21 PM »

I would say I am probably about a 31 inseam although I buy 30's.  So if you are a 30 you will probably be about similar to me.

How many inches lower would you need the bike to be to be able to flat foot it? Just trying to get an idea of how many inches I am looking at. But like I said if I can't flat foot it ever that is not a deal breaker, I just want to feel as safe as possible on it and as close to flat footing it as I can get.
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4