• April 26, 2024, 04:12:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking at a 2012 XU - anything I should be looking or worried about?  (Read 1702 times)

gsyyz

• View Profile

Hi Folks,

There is a 2012 Zero XU w/6500 kms for sale here in Canada and was wondering besides the software recall what else could or may go wrong in the near future.  The seller is looking for $3300 which was a little high even two years ago when they were popping up in the classified section.    I know the electric technology has come a long way in three years so wondering if it's even worth it.  I love the potential low cost of a 2012 and the size of the XU and the range is fine for what I need it for.  Any advice or warnings would be great.

Thanks,

GSYYZ

Cortezdtv

• View Profile

12's can develop a motor glitch- cost about 1600 to fix ish
Replace motor at dealership and reprogram the bike then it should work for what it was a little around town mobber
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Cortezdtv

• View Profile

I would try and find a single brick 13 xu or fx if you can in the 4000-6000 range much much better bike easier to fix and much more reliable
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

gsyyz

• View Profile

I thought the glitch was the software update?  Does this happen to all 2012 XU's, it already has 6500kms on it.  I'm curious to know at what point it could happen?  Warranty has expired.  Also I guess it depends on how much I can get the XU for.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile

Ask if it has had the motor replaced?

Many of the 12 zeros now have a new updated motor that is very similar to the 13 and newer motors, but designed to run in 75v instead of 100 like the 13s
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

gsyyz

• View Profile

I'll defininately ask the seller, thanks for all your help.

pluto

• View Profile

I think you should buy it ;P

No the motor has not been replaced, unless the dealer did it without my knowledge.

gsyyz

• View Profile

It's hilarious how small this community is, good indication how active this forum is.

pluto

• View Profile

Indeed.  :D

Honestly I was not aware of all the 2012 motor failures until I came here today and did some reading. I have no idea why mine hasn't been affected, maybe just luck. I would think *maybe* that since I've made it through 2.5 years of ownership and regular riding, and a decent amount of KMs that I've got one of the good ones but who knows. A comment in one of the threads mentioned that it might affect S's more than XU's but I have no idea whether that is accurate.

As with anything, price is negotiable down to the point it's not worth it for me to sell vs ride into the ground :P

gsyyz

• View Profile

I totally agree and totally respect your logic, and you might be right on you got lucky with your XU.

peter

• View Profile
Re: Looking at a 2012 XU - anything I should be looking or worried about?
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 01:26:11 AM »

gsyyz - run, don't walk, away. There's an impressive array of things that can, and do, go wrong with 2012XUs, and Zero isn't very good at supporting their older models. If you're going to buy it, don't pay more than you can afford to throw away.

Unless you're an electrical engineer who isn't worried about rebuilding the bike without a manual. Then, sure...

To paraphrase the current promotion - friends don't let friends buy 2012 Zeros...
sorry pluto
Peter

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 01:34:09 AM »

LOL, how could you peter :P

It is regrettable how Zero is doing such a poor job at supporting their older models as you say, makes me rethink my interest in purchasing a 2015 :/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 04:39:04 AM »

I kind of wonder how those 100 2012 Zero's that were sold to Bogota, Columbia, or the 50 or so bought by Hong Kong, are fairing right now.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 07:29:30 AM »

don't buy it, in fact don't buy a zero at all. Take it from someone who has wasted over 27'000$ on 2 of these pieces of crap. Buy a gas bike. you can get a 250 or 300cc bike that gets 70 mpg and outperforms a zero in every way for a third the cost brand new.

jheth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 09:09:46 AM »

Many Zero owners are happy with their bikes, particularly if they are 2013+ model years. Save your money for a newer model year with better design and components.
Pages: [1] 2