• March 29, 2024, 01:55:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Choosing the right bike Zero S, SR, or other  (Read 2124 times)

Casper

• View Profile
Choosing the right bike Zero S, SR, or other
« on: June 24, 2015, 06:59:15 PM »

Hello everyone,

I've been impressed with this forum for some time now, it seems to be the best resource online when it comes to electric bikes and with the inevitable increase in the number of bikes, I expect it will only get better.

I'm looking to lean on those of you with more experience in choosing my next bike. I'm hoping you can help me with some basics.

I'm very seriously considering the Zero S or SR for my daily commute. However, I have some concerns, not so much with range but rather with speed and possibly overheating the motor. I live outside of DC, and it gets hot here. My commute breaks down as follows:
  • 5.3 miles @ 40 mph
  • 11.5 miles @ 70 mph
  • 12.2 miles @ 80 mph
  • 2.2 miles @ 35 mph
  • For a total of 31.2 miles at an average speed of 64 mph.

Do you think that either the S or the RS will be able to handle that in 95 degree heat or will I run into issues? Will the RS fair any better than the S?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Lecram

• View Profile
Re: Choosing the right bike Zero S, SR, or other
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 07:43:30 PM »

Easy! I have a DS with power tank and do easily 120 kms with fast riding. Riding relaxed gives me 180-220 kms.
1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2011 Mercedes Viano Marco Polo camper
2015 Zero DS with power tank
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 07:49:01 PM »

I've not got an SR (I own a 2013 Zero-S), but they are supposed to handle higher motor temperatures than the Zero-S model.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 08:11:05 PM »

Ha, you're worried about 35C? I'll let you know how the tail end of Australian winter goes :)

Zero's got a little guide on hot (and cold) weather operation [pdf]. There's an old thread with some hot weather riding anecdotes here as well.
2014 Zero SR

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 08:39:18 PM »

You should have no problems at all with 31 miles at 95 degrees. Last weekend I did a lot of riding in the 90's and it didn't have any adverse impact on my SR. In fact, now I just about ignore the motor temperature gauge as I have never had a problem. As for higher speeds, yes that will drastically reduce your range but 31 miles is nothing. I once took a 40 mile ride just to see how much I could drain the battery so I rode at mostly 80 mph (with one burst up to 100 ;D) and still came home with 45% charge and I don't have a Power Tank.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:19:16 PM by MichaelJohn »
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

Casper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 09:05:19 PM »

Thanks for the replies!

It's great to hear that none of you have had any issues with overheating at speed with high ambient temperatures. Hearing first hand that the SR is capable is awesome.

The SR is my first choice, but I am still considering the S and the extra $2k it'd leave in my bank account.

From everything I've read, I think I should be able to make it round trip on a charge if I have to, but I am thinking I'll charge it at work just for piece of mind, I mean who needs range anxiety if it's avoidable.

One follow up question: Do you think given the nature of my commute that the windscreen would increase my efficiency or decrease it?

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 09:11:57 PM »

Increase, my fx with just a "cafe jammer" made a huge difference

Honestly a fx would damn near make your commute,

S or sr would have no issues

I would get the sr you might want the performance in a year, and the at resale will be better in the future

But maybe you don't need something quite so fast.... Then get the s
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 09:20:10 PM »

I've been riding my 2014 SR for almost 16,000 miles in San Diego weather, and just managed to make the "temp" light start to blink three times, when I was fooling around driving like an idiot and the weather was in the triple digits.

On the other hand, I don't ride 80 mph sustained either. The fastest I ride for extended periods is 75, because my commute is 50+ miles daily and I don't want to shorten the range by riding faster. Sustained high speeds will definitely heat up your motor.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 02:58:02 AM »

I live in the Central Valley in California where it gets up above 110F every summer. I haven't ridden my 2015 SR in that weather yet, but I rode my 2012 Zero S ZF9 through three hot summers without any problems.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 09:05:31 PM »

The S was also my first choice to save a few bucks but after riding the SR I changed my mind real quick. I am waiting for the 2016's to come out for financial reasons but am definitely going with the SR. I live in PA which is exactly the same dreaded northeast hot and humid summers. I can't attest to the fact that the bike won't overheat since I do not have one yet  :( but I would think that if you don't push it any harder than necessary than it should be fine.

Good luck with whichever bike you choose and have a blast!
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)
1983 GS450A Suzukimatic (Sold)
2016 Dong Fang 200SST (Sold)
2017 Super Soco TS1200R (Current Bike)

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 04:33:58 AM »

Hello, fellow DC commuter,

I ride my 2015 SR 16 miles each way from Alexandria VA, into DC. With the recent heat wave the last few weeks, I didn't have any issues flying down 395 HOV at 85MPH, or sitting at stoplights after. I'd go with the SR, it's an amazing vehicle!

Steven
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 06:03:17 AM »

I do about 26 miles daily one way on the HOV commuting into DC going 65-75 (sometimes more) depending on the wind since I don't have fairings or windshields on my bike.

I get into DC with a little over half a charge and can come home without charging just fine. If I leave in the morning and go 60 / 65 I get into work and can fly home (or visa versa)

I have ridden in ALL weather since I ride year round. I have 10k miles on the bike now in DC weather and have been through snow storms, all forms of lovely rain, and of course our lovely hot summers.

This with a 2013 11.4 (SR equivalent) with 10.58k nominal ;) You will LOVE the size six controller :D

On another note, seriously we DC metro folk need to hook up ;) best local place to ride is likely Clifton ...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 06:05:19 AM by Burton »
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 07:32:11 AM »

I live in the Central Valley in California...

oobflyer may I ask where in the central valley you are? I was born in Oakdale, lived in Escalon before my family moved to Santa Cruz, and still have family in Modesto and Stockton.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Casper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 09:53:38 PM »

This is all great info., thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I just need to get all the pieces in place and buy the bike.

Nevetsyad and Burton, I'd be all for meeting up, and definitely up for going for a ride once I've got the bike. I actually live in Clifton, so any time you guys are out that way, I'd be up for meeting up. Do you ever go to the meetups the first Sunday of every (nice) month?

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 10:06:46 PM »

This is all great info., thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I just need to get all the pieces in place and buy the bike.

Nevetsyad and Burton, I'd be all for meeting up, and definitely up for going for a ride once I've got the bike. I actually live in Clifton, so any time you guys are out that way, I'd be up for meeting up. Do you ever go to the meetups the first Sunday of every (nice) month?

What meet ups? I tend not to ride with ICE riders much less it is a "quick run" because they cry when I have to stop to charge for an hour or two. :/ My trips through Clifton are random and often as weekends I am typically working on projects at home or soon to be mountain biking (which fountain head has the second best trails in the state).

All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9
Pages: [1] 2