• April 24, 2024, 09:22:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR vs P85D  (Read 1163 times)

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
SR vs P85D
« on: June 21, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »

Today I was riding in downtown Walnut Creek when I spied a shiny new red Ferrari a few cars ahead of me. He got stopped at a red light so I filtered up through the stopped cars to get a better look. As I was coming to a stop just before the crosswalk I saw that the car to the left of me at the light was a Tesla P85D. There I was sitting between two very quick cars waiting for the light to turn green. I gave a long look to each car - not really a challenge but a nod of acknowledgement to two incredible cars. The Ferrari started inching forward ever so slightly so when the light turned green I took off. Now racing in downtown Walnut Creek is not the brightest thing to do, especially with the Police station just two blocks away, so I let off at about 35 after leaving the two cars behind. I think the Ferrari was just playing and he must have turned off because he disappeared. The Tesla however appeared in my rear-view mirror just as we were coming to another red light. It was a two-lane road with both lanes clear. I was in the left lane with the Tesla behind so I thought about pulling into the right lane then thought better of it but then the Tesla came around me and took the right lane so I figured it was on. Now this was the perfect place for a little impromptu drag race as the road leaves the downtown area and continues for another mile with no stops, no houses, no side streets and a higher speed limit. It also condenses to one lane so someone has to get there first. I turned to the Tesla driver and flipped up my visor to try to have a little electric camaraderie but he was having none of it. He totally ignored me which kind of ticked me off and as I was flipping down my visor the light turned green and he took off HARD. We all know that the 0-60 times according to the manufacturers are very close between the Tesla and the Zero and since I am a light rider I have always wondered how I would do against a P85D. Well I pinned it and my bike was feeling its oats today (maybe because it was about 90 degrees?) and the rear wheel spun up and I went a little sideways. My blood was up so I kept it pinned, it straightened out and when it hooked up again I popped a wheelie. Now my blood was really up so I leaned forward, brought it down quickly (it was a small wheelie but I definitely got air) and never let off the throttle. For some reason the bike felt extra fast today AND I CAUGHT AND PASSED THE P85D just as the road went to one lane. Whoohoo! Now I can't say for sure that he was in "Insane" mode but he was definitely racing me so I assume he was good to go. I turned off at the next light and I didn't see the Tesla again but my day was made. I was positively giddy for the rest of the ride. I waved at every single motorcycle rider that I saw for the rest of my ride and each and every one waved back (even the Harleys) and there were a lot of bikes on the road today. It was a very good day.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

domingo3

• View Profile
Re: SR vs P85D
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »

Cool story.  I wish you had a go-pro running.  That on video would have been sweet!
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 12:34:05 AM »

Ah great! i would have loved to see that caught on camera too !

Thanks for sharing your story!

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 07:31:36 PM »

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 04:29:25 AM »

I have a similar story, but sadly, not involving a Tesla.

Twice, on my way to work, I found myself next to large, black SUV at a red light. I think it was a new Ford Flex. The owner was revving his engine loudly and looking at me. When the light turned green I silently glided from zero to about 85 MPH within 5 seconds or so. But I could hear the roar of his engine just behind me the whole time and when I finally let go of the throttle he roared past me (I didn't want to get a ticket....)

The next time, the same guy seemed more determined - I don't think he expected my bike to be so quick. So, we're at the red light again, he's revving his engine loudly, inching towards the intersection, waiting for the light to turn green. And when it did the roar of his engine filled intersection and the street in all directions. He must have red-lined the thing. Again I just twisted the throttle and found myself going about 85 MPH with this guy a car-length or two behind me, the roar of the engine pushing me, it seemed. I let go of the throttle at around 85 MPH again - not wanting to get into trouble (we're talking 40 MPH speed limit here).

One note - I have the PowerTank on my SR - which slows the 0-60 time a bit. I'm sure an SR without the extra weight would have pulled out even further in front of this guy.

In any case I'm having more fun than I probably should be having  ;-)
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 12:37:32 PM »

I gave a Ferrari a shock once, coming off the A5 on the roundabout near Silverstone, there was a convoy of Ferraris / Porsche and the like, I guess it was race day. Anyway, I pulled up alongside the back marker of the group who'd got caught waiting to enter the roundabout. He noticed me, and looked a bit distainfully at my bike. Anyway, He and I took off, while I did'nt get quite past him, I managed to keep just about with him. He "kept" looking in his mirror at me, I guess he was not that impressed that the electric bike was keeping pace with his expensive sports car.

That day I vowed to get an SR... 
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900
Pages: [1]