• April 26, 2024, 10:44:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero SR is very slow  (Read 2310 times)

MortenRS-DK

• View Profile
Zero SR is very slow
« on: June 17, 2015, 12:38:10 AM »

Hi. My 2014 Zero SR was very slow today and is missing power. The bike was driving normal on my way to work, but when I was to drive home in the afternoon was the bike very slow, it did not accelerate like normal, almost like it did not responet when I turned the handel.
In sports mode is 0-100km/h (0-60mph) like 12-14 sec. and the abosolut top speed is 120km/h (75mph). In eco mode is the bike even more slow. In sports mode when turned the handel to max was there no more then 4 bars on the power meter og 3 bars on the torque meter.
I have tried the turn off and on the iginision switch several times, but nothing changed. Tried switching betweem the 3 modes still no improvment. There is normal resistance when I manual rotate the wheels.
Have somebody tried this type of error, know a solution or something I can try to fix or debug the missing power error?

Burton

• View Profile
Re: Zero SR is very slow
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 01:27:23 AM »

What was the battery SOC on the way home when you first noticed the problem?

I would suggest checking the resistance on the "throttle" to see if it is not responding properly if it happens when your SOC is also 100% from now on.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

MortenRS-DK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 02:21:04 AM »

What is battery soc?

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 02:22:05 AM »

Sounds like one of the sand filled fuses popped missing the b+ 1amp fuse or something like that

On fx it is by motor not sure on s
Burton

Sorry haven't got back to you on email gimme a sec something came up
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 04:17:10 AM »

Morten, SoC is State of Charge. Burton is referring to the fact that, at low SoC, most EVs will limit the power available to (hopefully) make what little power is last go as far as possible. Is that what it was doing or did you have plenty of charge remaining?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 06:02:19 AM »

Other than a bizarre controller or motor failure mode (less likely? more likely to work or not at all?), I'd take a punt at the throttle being the culprit too. Easy to check and  a known source of occasional werrdness on previous models.

MortenRS-DK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 03:14:56 PM »

The battery was charge to 90% at the time I started driving home. This morning after a full night of charging to 100% was it the some. Very slow acceration in all modes.

When I turn the key does is shows a list of error codes:

Is there translation list for knowing what it indicate? I expect it to be normal now that it ending with showing 0000. It do not shows any error coding during driving.

I tested the 2 High voltage fuses below the seat (see pictures). Both have a low resistance of 10 Ohm, that I will expect to be normal. I also tested the 12V fuses and found no fault.

I will take a look at the throttle later today. Is the other end of the wires from throttle easy to find?

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 05:29:41 PM »

Yup, just follow the throttle cable, on the 2013 it was two wires in a small 3 pin connector, then test the range of resistance.

No clue what your error codes mean as I have a 2013 :/

So that is what a stock S looks like with the next behind the battery box. With all my wires thrown on top of the box I never got to see what it looked like stock lol

@Cortezdtv
Figured you have been busy, I am in no rush as I get a chance to add to my savings before it is greatly diminished lol
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:31:17 PM by Burton »

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 12:29:36 AM »

@MortenRS-DK

I've never had this happen for a whole ride, but I've (twice) experienced something that was similar to your description.  I was at 50% SoC, or so, which is obviously high enough that it shouldn't be throttling power very noticeably.

A bit later I had occasion to visit the dealer to get my new instrument panel installed, and I told the dealer about the intermittent throttle problem.  He found some entries in the logs that indicated that one (or more?) cell was at a lower SoC than its peers.

I take that to mean that just ONE cell being significantly out of balance with the others could trigger this behavior.

It hasn't happened to me in a month or so.  Unsettling when it happens though.

Jason

2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 05:53:28 AM »

Pretty sure 10 ohms is a blown ass fuse
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

MortenRS-DK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 04:03:23 PM »

I followed the throttle control cable to a connector below the "tank" with 3 wires (see picture). It seems to be fine. I can measure a change in resistance when I turn the throttle control, but it is not linear. I will guess that it is a digital connection and not analog.
I assemble all again with same result. My bike was still slow. I call my dealer for a time that they can look at it. But off cause next time I ride my bike after taking with the dealer was the power back to normal and my bike was fast again for no reason. It lasted for 3 rides (3x45km) and now it is back to being slow.

I still have time at my dealer next week. Hobe they can find a fix.

I have tried to read the motor log out with Bluetooth with my iPad, but it keeps losing connection during readout. Is there a way to keep the Bluetooth connection stable?

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 05:27:54 PM »

I would try another mobile device to see if it happens there to, and not the same model / OS just incase it is a Bluetooth issue to get the logs. That said the logs will just be sent to zero less you CC yourself but they are in a format which isn't easily read.

It would be better to have an ODBII to USB cable to pull the logs down in a readable format (less your bike is like mine and crashes out the console session when you do this ;) )

I don't think the throttle is digital on the 2013's, not sure of 2014's.  When I get home I will do a resistance test and let you know what I find.

MortenRS-DK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 05:43:58 PM »

My Zero have now bin at the dealer for repair. The throttle control handle have been replaced. Looks like it was error. All power is back to normal.
Pages: [1]