• April 27, 2024, 05:08:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Impersonating a Beemer with QuiQ Chargers  (Read 4414 times)

hippiesparx

• View Profile
Impersonating a Beemer with QuiQ Chargers
« on: May 31, 2015, 09:05:13 AM »

A bit - when you look at the photos you'll see what I mean  ;)
I've just spent the weekend bolting two QuiQ chargers to the Zero S.

They're about $700 each in Oz. They're weatherproof. They don't get in the way of your shins when riding but when you stand up you've got to be aware of them. http://enerdrive.com.au/product/deltaq-quiq-battery-charger. I've got two separate 240V in sockets, one for the standard and one for the two QuiQ. As long as there's a double powerpoint with not much else on the circuit I should be right.
When all three chargers are running they draw 15A @ 240VAC.

The black and white wires from the QuiQ are joined together at the lug with a 10K NTC thermistor between them, to sense the battery temperature. This has to be cut off to fit the Anderson so, even though the thermistor is only going to measure ambient, I've refitted thermistors.

The stock charger needs to be energised to allow the QuiQs to 'see' the battery and start charging. I see Trikester's tip with the resistor, unfortunately after I put waterproof epoxy heatshrink on the Anderson plug.

It took 1hr 40min to throw 45% into the battery. At 90% the Quiqs backed right off, only putting about 1A each into the battery. The onboard charge is still going flat out.

So it's not as quick charging as I was expecting but its a definite improvement.
2014 Zero S 2014 CFMoto 650TK
Fonzarelli Electric Moto dealer

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
Re: Impersonating a Beemer with QuiQ Chargers
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »

Well done. Can see the "solar" influence in the the cable conduits, neat!

I assume you joined the two DC lines from the Quiq chargers into a single SBS75X Anderson connector.

Being IP66 rated versus IP46 for the TC/Elcon chargers is one of the advantages of the Quiq chargers.

You can monitor the battery temperature using the Zero phone app. I believe the BMS will prevent charging if the battery temp gets to 50'C.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 12:35:10 PM by evtricity »
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 07:42:47 PM »

It sounds like the charging times you were hoping for are only available with Elcons.  Although the Quik chargers are definitely an improvement.  Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 10:40:51 PM »

That's very interesting; thanks for this. The "look" factor is interesting, and maybe an official fast charger could look like this. Is the lower cowling removed to make the bracket work? I guess we'd benefit from some details to try this again or try some variations.

I wonder about mounting them at an angle or under a fairing, too, for drag reduction.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

hippiesparx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 04:44:35 AM »

Yep, the lower cowlings have been removed.
I used 6mm acrylic to form the mounting plate, which picks up all the threaded holes in the frame that the cowlings used.
The QuiQs pick up two of the forward threaded holes, which makes for a very firm fit.
The acrylic could have been longer, but this is what I had in the shed.
I'll probably have another go at it and extend the acrylic to the top rear corner to hide the ugliness the lower cowlings usually cover. The AC cables at the rear can then duck in behind the acrylic and disappear.
I'll also move the QuiQ 30mm forward and fabricate a front/side cowling that curves around and covers the front 25mm conduit.

Regarding the charge time, it turns out the fast charging confused the SOC% metering. When I turned the bike on it reset to 100%. It does seem it takes a bit over 1.5 hours to throw 60% into the battery, which will do me.

Adding 10kg forward and below the centre of gravity has taken a lot of the twitchiness out of the cornering. It really does feel much more 'positive' diving in to a corner.

Here's a couple of photos showing a bit more detail.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:47:15 AM by hippiesparx »
2014 Zero S 2014 CFMoto 650TK
Fonzarelli Electric Moto dealer

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 07:02:32 AM »

Now I get it.  You made a boxer charger.   ;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 11:37:55 AM »

A bit - when you look at the photos you'll see what I mean  ;)
I've just spent the weekend bolting two QuiQ chargers to the Zero S.
.... They don't get in the way of your shins when riding but when you stand up you've got to be aware of them. ...

Just found this, thanks for the write-up! Gives me ideas...

BTW, I also see the SoC confused when charging with my elcon. I see charge rate dropping at 85% and when I unplug and turn off, it pops to 100%. Sometimes. 2014 Zero SR.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Aikirob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 06:29:26 PM »

Hello I'm also in Australia and recently purchased a 2016 zero dsr and I'd like to do this modification as well, can I please contact you for information and help in doing so?

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 12:41:41 AM »

Hey aikirob- lucky man ! A DSR is a sweet bike. FWIW, evtricity has found a much better solution and is building them as we speak here in Sydney. Much cheaper, about 1/4 the weight and size. 8kw will fit (just) under the tank. We're having a group ride and test of several of them on April 2 south of Sydney

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 01:09:23 AM »

Hey aikirob- lucky man ! A DSR is a sweet bike. FWIW, evtricity has found a much better solution and is building them as we speak here in Sydney. Much cheaper, about 1/4 the weight and size. 8kw will fit (just) under the tank. We're having a group ride and test of several of them on April 2 south of Sydney

Can you tell us more about that? What kind of charging solution are you experimenting with?
Zero FXS 6.5 MY16

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 01:16:23 AM »

Evtricity has found a fantastic compact commercially made rectifier that can be programmed to do what we need. He's done some clever mods to allow them to be used on Zeros easily - that's it! The Elcons and other chargers used by many owners are just earlier versions of the same tech, Dave just found some better cheaper smaller ones

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 01:23:07 AM »

Evtricity has found a fantastic compact commercially made rectifier that can be programmed to do what we need. He's done some clever mods to allow them to be used on Zeros easily - that's it! The Elcons and other chargers used by many owners are just earlier versions of the same tech, Dave just found some better cheaper smaller ones

But those are not Eltek Flatpacks? Would love to hear details as soon as you are allowed to talk about it ;-)
Zero FXS 6.5 MY16

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 01:51:38 AM »

The chargers use a rectifier that is much  better than the Eltek Flatpack 2 2000 HE with similar size and weight to the Flatpack S. Paired up they charge to 116V with a
single PCB connector,  they  have native  isolated CAN control, derate gracefully between ambient 55—80C and can be permanently or temporarily  AC input controlled for running off limited power circuits or following a J1772 / Mennekes pilot signal. Once we've had the opportunity to test on more Zeros in Australia we'll share here for our Zero friends on this forum.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 10:47:54 PM »

Very curious about your charger solution. Can you give us a bit more info, pics or perhaps a sneak preview?

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 01:02:24 AM »

I did that about 5 years ago, had 4 Delta Q Quiq chargers powered by one J plug (one on each side, one on top, and one underneath the battery) so I could travel from florida to tennessee for the bonnaroo music festival in May 2012 - see picture of some of my friends from the music festival all sitting on the bike (see the Delta Q on the side?) 

But in fall 2012 attached 2 2500 watt elcons on the sides (already black) instead of the delta Q's (bottom picture)

It's a perfect place to mount fast chargers and leave the "tank" area for an extra battery so you can have more range and faster charging!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:10:55 AM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry
Pages: [1] 2 3