• April 26, 2024, 03:09:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: TC (Elcon) Canbus Fast Charger setup, parts & costs  (Read 2265 times)

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
TC (Elcon) Canbus Fast Charger setup, parts & costs
« on: May 27, 2015, 06:38:41 PM »

My TC chargers finally arrived and I have been able to get them working well.

Here are the details of the setup, parts and approximate costs.

2 x TC Max 130V 18A chargers with CANBUS support
2 x Batrium Umon/Sican/Cmon to configure, enable and monitor the chargers
1 x Anderson SBS75X connector with ancillary pin and 100k resistor to B+ to enable charging while ignition is off
1 x Anderson SBS50 connector (taken from the onboard charger so I don't need to buy a Y cable to get over 4kW charge)
1 x 12V DC supply to feed the Batrium Sican (will probably run this off the bike's 12v accessory circuit in time)

I have set the chargers to a max of 116V so they push a maximum of 116V x 18A = 2,088 watts. With some losses through to heat the units consume about 2300 watts which is perfect as I'm plugging them into an Australian 10A 240v (2400W) circuit. As the Batrium Sicans allow you to adjust the charge current you could potentially use a higher capacity charger and lower the current just enough to keep under the socket/circuit rating you are using. The TC chargers come with an IEC 14 male plug and a separate cable with IEC13 female on one end and whatever your countries standard plug is on the other - in my case a 3 flat pin 240V 10A plug.

Setting up the charge parameters in the Batriums is pretty straight forward and the instructions well documented.

The only tricky thing I found was getting the charger connected to the fast charge port and getting it to close the contactor while the bike was still off. Trikester's advice to use a 100k resistor from B+ to the adjacent ancillary pin in the SBS70X charger was spot on however I worked out for my 2014 bike you have to initiate the charge with the bike turned on. When I did that and then turned the ignition off with the 100k resistor in place, the contactors stayed closed, the charging continued and the rising battery capacity showed on the dash. Good stuff. I can now leave the bike fast charging without having the bike switched on!

For configuring and monitoring the chargers with a PC you need to use the Umon (a fancy USB stick) - along with the Sican and Cmon cable - but the Umon is not required for charging. However as it's a CANBUS controlled charger you do need both the Sican and Cmon cable and a 12V DC supply to the Sican. This could be the 12V accessory circuit on the Zero or a separate power brick/supply or 12v battery.

Here are the parts I used, with approximate costs in AUD.

Parts:
1. TC 2kW max 130V 18A charger (canbus version) = AUD700
with IEC14 AC input cable & KST 50A 600v DC connector (compatible with Anderson SB 50 black connector)
2. Anderson Connector SBS75X inc two pins = AUD20
3. Ancillary pin for Anderson connector PM16P1620S30-50 = AUD5
4. Batrium Umon (USB connection to PC) = AUD25
5. Batrium Sican = AUD85
6. Batrium Cmon (Canbus cable) = AUD35

For parts only, total cost per charger would be AUD870 plus postage. Postage would push the price to AUD1000-AUD1100 (the chargers are heavy and shipped from China).

So total price would be up to USD900. Add a couple of hours of your time to configure the charger, wire in the resistor and connect the Sican to the bikes 12V supply or a separate 12v supply and for USD1,000 you've got an adjustable 2kw charger for your Zero.

TC offers a range of capacity chargers, here's a link to the one I bought http://www.tccharger.com/english/Product/T35/48.html

Details of the Batrium items are at http://www.batrium.com/products
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:13:47 AM by dgh853 »
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

Francois

• View Profile
Re: TC (Elcon) Canbus Fast Charger setup, parts & costs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 07:18:46 PM »

wanderfull

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:20:50 PM »

I'm glad that you found the reason why the 100K resistor didn't work at first. So, they made a change in 2014 that changes that process a little, good to know.

Trikester

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:45:50 AM »

You are a bloody genius DGH, well done

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 11:50:38 AM »

DGH, did you get the andersons locally or on the web?  I need to order some. Have you got the right tools for crimping too?

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 12:13:22 PM »

I bought the Anderson SBS75X through Mouser Electronics who I don't think have local presence / stock in Australia. I have a spare connector I can lend you if you have to order from overseas.

I don't have a fancy crimping tool.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 05:42:17 AM »

Thanks mate,
Pages: [1]