• April 26, 2024, 09:13:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gaffers tape  (Read 1074 times)

j.coal

• View Profile
Gaffers tape
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:54:28 AM »

One of the more common questions I get when someone is eyeing up my bike is "What is that hose for?".  They are referring to the air cooling hose that runs from the drive motor to the cooling fan under the back fender.  I think the hose looks out of place on the mostly black bike and is a visual magnet due to the color and shape.  I searched for a better looking replacement hose but couldn't find anything I liked better than the factory industrial hose that came on the 2011 Zero's.  The matte black finish of my role of gaffers tape was the right solution at the right price.  I took the hose off and wrapped it in gaffers tape along the whole length.  I plan to paint the band clamps soon to reduce the visual attraction of the hose.  I may paint the chrome motor housing also.  What do you all think?

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Gaffers tape
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 01:06:25 PM »

Looks nice. You might also consider plastidip for these kind of jobs.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:14:41 PM »

Gaffers tape is great stuff. I once used it to make a "temporary" patch over a small hole in my whitewater raft at the beginning of the river rafting season. It was below the water line and I forgot all about it. Months and many river miles later I spotted it as I was prepping the raft for winter storage. It was still sticking tight.

Trikester

j.coal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 07:58:36 AM »

Erasmo:  Plasitdip is something I've always been curious about.  Not sure I could dip my hose deep enough in the container.  Would a paint brush work?

trikester:  Good to know that tape will hold up to white water rafting.  Riding in the rain should be a cake walk.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 01:06:49 PM »

They also sell plastidip in spraycans so there's no actual dipping required.

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 09:56:20 PM »

Gaffer's tape is different from (and a lot better than) duct tape, but still funny...
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 10:44:25 PM »

Not trying to correct anybody, but an amusing note: Those kids who mistakenly call it "duck tape"? They're actually correct. It was originally designed for the military, who wanted a tape that would work when wet and even underwater, so they referred to it as "duck tape".

Many people have discovered the hard way that you don't want to use "duct tape" on HVAC ductwork. It can't take heat very well and will crumble away very fast. Use only aluminum tape on HVAC ductwork, which is not called "duct tape" (as it should be) because "duct tape" was already taken for a product that can't be used on ducts.

Now, "gaffers tape"....I dunno but I'd imagine that's pretty accurate. I don't know any gaffers personally, but I bet they could find lots of uses for that kind of tape.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

j.coal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 07:08:32 AM »

Plastispray.  That sounds like a product I need to try.  Anybody ever coat the floor of a nylon tent with plasticoat or similar?  I hate wet tents.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 02:30:16 PM »

On this forum there's a long thread about it: http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_messages/339675/0/0
It is Dutch but the pictures speak for them self.
Pages: [1]