• April 27, 2024, 02:24:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zero's new superbike  (Read 2022 times)

teddillard

Zero's new superbike
« on: May 25, 2015, 01:04:20 AM »

Seriously, I started thinking about it, and it's really only a matter of time, don't you think?  But beyond that, this is the time.

http://insideevs.com/zero-superbike-thats-coming-op-ed/

"I find it hard to believe that almost every one of the people I know at Zero aren’t chomping at the bit to build a 100kW, 150mph-capable superbike with 100 miles of range.  I know they can do it, because their battery and motor game is that much higher than Energica, they’ve been keeping to the knitting, learning the ropes of motorcycle manufacture, including dealer support, warranty and customer service, and have built up a good base of dealers around the country, and the world.  Hell, even I’ve planned such a bike, because I could build such a bike in my garage.

You just know those guys want to do it.  And they can.  And by now, Zero management should let them – even if it’s just for show."
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:06:03 AM by teddillard »

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
Re: Zero's new superbike
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 01:32:43 AM »

Intermot is biannual.
So your "HV-SRR" must debut at EICMA this fall...
Once you go EV, gas is history!

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 01:34:32 AM »

But agree on your thoughts, besides what else can they be doing with all the funds they raised recently. 😉
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 04:20:22 AM »

I think the Zero board are a bunch of cheapskates and wouldn't spend the money and take the risk of manufacturing a production sportbike, especially as sales of sportbikes are trending down right now.  Updating the DS to make it a more stylish and better performing dual sport motorcycle would make more marketing sense and produce more sales numbers to my mind. I am still mystified why Zero has not tried to produce a cruiser-styled vehicle yet. They would have no competition in the EV field right now with that concept. I guess they are leaving that market segment to Victory.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 05:16:44 AM »

Im sitting the fence with this one.

On the one hand Zero have a highish volume well developed package, so evolution not revolution makes financial sense.

On the other hand, Victory will no doubt repackage and re-release Brammo, but i reckon that could be 12 months or more, Lightning and Energica are sort of available but a completely different market segment at $30K plus.

Where's the money here? Its in "reasonbly high performance" bikes that are cost scompetitive with ICE bikes, right? However gets that right gets the biggest volume, the lowest costs and best buying power from suppliers. We would all love a hyperbike, but make compromises because few have the money.

I agree that a concept bike makes huge sense for Zero, a test platform for "Gen3". Show off their credentials raise some more money and keep the competition at bay. Shoehorning one into a Ducati or other leading brand is a short cut to that, so why not?

What i do agree with in thats tory is that reducing prices mid season is a strong sign that  something good is coming. Its seasonally good in the Southern hemisphere , clears '15 model stocks and punches Brammo in the head while they are down. Then, In late 15 they announce a substantial revamp of the standard range. A hypermotard kit gets added to convert the DS, the SR gets a sportbike fairing and the upgrades they started this year evolve again. For fun, they release a Gen3 concept as a taste and test bed for Gen3 in 17 - when Tesla's factory comes on line and or his competitors provide similar alternatives.

All speculation but one way or the other we win and IF Zero gets this right, they could well win too.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 06:39:52 AM »

What we really need is s lower seat height. 

What I want is s superbike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 08:35:10 AM »

I second the lower seat height for the vertically challenged! ;)
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)
1983 GS450A Suzukimatic (Sold)
2016 Dong Fang 200SST (Sold)
2017 Super Soco TS1200R (Current Bike)

hippiesparx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 08:46:17 AM »

I want a cruiser with 24kWh battery and 2 hour recharge time, with a comfy driver's and pillion seat before I want a superbike.
2014 Zero S 2014 CFMoto 650TK
Fonzarelli Electric Moto dealer

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 09:42:16 AM »

I think a Large Electric Scooter / Cruiser  like BMW C-Evolution or Vetrix or Zev may be the way to go. Integrate fairing and storage using Vetter Style Fairing.
Some open , some fulley enclosed or convertable. BMW has proved there is a market for it.

A second common chassis of this type and family of models based on it, like zero has done with the S,DS,SR, DSR.

here are some ideals from past and present.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f48/monotracer-ecomobile-feet-forwards-motorcycle-1344947/

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 09:49:04 AM by firepower »

Chocula

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 11:35:22 AM »

What I would really like to see is the equivalent to a Triumph Spirit GT with ~30 kWh, a DC quick charging port, and a 6 kW charger with J1772 port.  Hopefully this will be available and reasonably affordable in the next few years and DC quick chargers will be common enough to make touring practical.

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 01:42:22 PM »

I want a cruiser with 24kWh battery and 2 hour recharge time, with a comfy driver's and pillion seat before I want a superbike.

I want a bike with a 30kWh battery and a 10 minute recharge time that's the same size as the SR.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 07:33:59 PM »

It looks like everyone wants something different.  What is an EV manufacturer to do when trying to reach the broadest market so that they can sell the most vehicles?   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 08:36:14 PM »

Well the current lineup is a nice start. But by just adding some fairing(no vetter, just regular tourbike fairing) to the existing frame would broaden the market a lot for a small investment.

Edwin-SR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 08:44:57 PM »

Agree, just add fairing and sell more!

However, a little faster and some more capacity would also be nice.

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 10:38:53 PM »

It looks like everyone wants something different.  What is an EV manufacturer to do when trying to reach the broadest market so that they can sell the most vehicles?   ???

True.  People "just" want their favourite ICE bike to be electric.  We'll get there, but it'll take time and many different manufacturers.
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/
Pages: [1] 2