• April 24, 2024, 06:35:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Which windscreen is OK?  (Read 18715 times)

Kocho

• View Profile
Re: Which windscreen is OK?
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2016, 09:10:19 AM »

The  photo at Nat. Cycle is at an angle so it is hard to judge. Plus the Kawasaki has pretty wide fairing and dual headlights, so the screen looks narrower than it is on it.

I don't feel any back pressure. A lot of air gets under the screen and around the lower mid-section, I think. I feel a lot of gentle air movement at my chest, but not at my back. Probably can reduce the gap more...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 09:18:56 AM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2016, 10:15:03 AM »

Cool! I guess it's working for you, then.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2016, 06:14:46 PM »

Any update from Madstad?

Madstad makes awesome adjustable screens. I've contacted them about possible work around and am waiting to hear back.
2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2016, 01:10:15 AM »

My MRA screen on the bike  8)
http://www.mlmparts.com/nl/mra-windscherm-vario-touring.html
Really great, removes the wind pressure from your chest, helmet is still a bit in the airstream. But size is ok in relation to the bike.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:47:12 PM by wijnand71 »

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2016, 11:07:59 AM »

National Cycle Street Shield EX on my Zero SR, fits ok and I cant find a taller shield for under $250...  The gap is a bit excessive around the dash and lets lots of air under to blast me.  I suppose I could stick a windshield bag there like on the Harley but that would probably look rather stupid.  This shield keeps most of the wind off my chest and helmet, but I still get pounding buffeting on the sides of my helmet since the shield is kinda narrow at the top. I have it mounted high and out front so it almost comes to my nose if I slouch while riding.  Its only 18" tall, so a 21" or taller would be better for me at my 6' height.  I might get the star fish shaped shield that covers the handgrips and give up on looking cool... 8)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:16:26 AM by ZeroPointZero »

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2016, 10:15:03 PM »

Here is my VStream in its latest setup. Notice that my handlebars are now rised by about 1.5" or so with risers, which gives me more space forward and the shield is higher. At 6'4" I can hide behind it with a slight lean forward. I had it in a slightly higher position, where it hides me completely without ducking at all. There is a slight buffeting, mainly because the top is a bit floppy, I think - even if I duck entirely behind it I can feel it. With a solid bottom mount it will improve a bit more in terms of being more table and less floppy.

I like it though, since now I am pretty well protected from the wind, including my shoulders and head. There is some back-draft, not much though, and I think I prefer that vs. leaving too much space under the screen (which I tried and there is too much air movement at my chest then, so now it is better).

EDIT: I think if eventually I get to make/install a fairing on the SR, this type of windscreen will work well with that. What I don't like now, with a handlebar mount, is that wind-caused vibrations transfer to my handlebars. Without a screen, the ride is smoother at the handlebars. That is at high speeds though, above 50mph, where if I don't have a windscreen I have worse problems by being blasted, so this huge screen is still better on balance, especially in cold weather. I much prefer without it, in terms of being able to duck forward and get my chin near my handlebars for turns balancing on the side of the bike - the large screen kind of interferes with an aggressive forward lean/hang off the bike...

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 10:19:24 PM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2016, 05:20:47 AM »

I decided to replace my Zero Touring screen with the Slipstreamer S-05 Turbo. This is the same one Patrick discussed earlier in this thread here.

My motivation is the same as Patrick's - to reduce my exposure to the wind in the winter, especially on my neck.

I have a 2015 Zero DS with Rox Risers. I decided to first try to mount it with no drilling or cutting of the screen. I was able to get a stable install - no rattling or movement of the screen. Tested the setup at speeds up to 90 mph. Seems very stable.

I ran zip ties through the holes at the bottom of the screen and around the handguard rail for lower stabilization.

However ... I'm disappointed with the wind noise. Seems to me that I get more noise than with the Zero Touring screen. I start to notice the noise at 30 mph. Also, not sure about the reduction in wind on the neck. I do feel some wind at the neck with the turbo screen. Not sure if it is reduced relative to the Zero screen. It might be. I don't feel any wind on my hands with this setup.

Anyway, pictures of the current setup are below.

You'll notice the rails for the Zero screen are still attached. They aren't making contact with the turbo screen. In the profile view you'll also notice the screen is angled too vertically. Ideally I think it should be almost at the angle of the front forks. But I couldn't achieve that with the mounting strategy I employed.

If I get motivated I might make the cuts that Patrick did for a snugger install with a better angle - drilling holes to make use of the zero screen rails for lower stability.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:22:48 AM by evdjerome »
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2016, 06:06:29 AM »

Thanks for the images she looks good for winter driving!

Quick question -  I already ordered the Zero Touring shield and my question is; when you re-adjusted the top deflector could you adjust the flow over your helmet or was it limited.

Thanks - Mike

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2016, 06:49:31 AM »

I think the increased turbulence even (and especially) with such large screens on the Zero is due to the fact there is not enough length in the bike to allow to mount them more angled. Turbulence reduces significantly or disappears completely when I angle my large screen back. But then it is too close so I can't hide behind it... needs another 10" forward ideally...

In my limited experience, the air stream has to be over the helmet for the screen to be quiet. Or lower, at the upper chest, no protection for the head and little for the shoulders, but less turbulence... 

However ... I'm disappointed with the wind noise. Seems to me that I get more noise than with the Zero Touring screen. I start to notice the noise at 30 mph. Also, not sure about the reduction in wind on the neck. I do feel some wind at the neck with the turbo screen. Not sure if it is reduced relative to the Zero screen. It might be. I don't feel any wind on my hands with this setup.
'15 Zero SR

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2016, 09:33:13 PM »

Honestly I hadn't played much with it. I think I had read somewhere in this thread that it was recommended to set it vertically and that is how I've always kept it.

Thanks for the images she looks good for winter driving!

Quick question -  I already ordered the Zero Touring shield and my question is; when you re-adjusted the top deflector could you adjust the flow over your helmet or was it limited.

Thanks - Mike
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2016, 10:02:47 PM »

I suspect you are right about moving it forward. If I can figure out an easy way to do that I might experiment. Doubt I could get 10" more out but maybe about 3" using an accessory bar for mounting the turbo factory clamps and then use these extra long MRA rails for lower stability. Obviously would require I drill holes for those MRA rails. Probably would look weird though.

I think the increased turbulence even (and especially) with such large screens on the Zero is due to the fact there is not enough length in the bike to allow to mount them more angled. Turbulence reduces significantly or disappears completely when I angle my large screen back. But then it is too close so I can't hide behind it... needs another 10" forward ideally...

In my limited experience, the air stream has to be over the helmet for the screen to be quiet. Or lower, at the upper chest, no protection for the head and little for the shoulders, but less turbulence... 

2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2016, 12:48:24 AM »

I suspect you are right about moving it forward. If I can figure out an easy way to do that I might experiment. Doubt I could get 10" more out but maybe about 3" using an accessory bar for mounting the turbo factory clamps and then use these extra long MRA rails for lower stability. Obviously would require I drill holes for those MRA rails. Probably would look weird though.

Yes, I used the long SV-650 MRA strut mounts to get my Parabellum screen for the BMW R1150R to guide air over my head and down my back. I'm about to try bar risers to adjust that a bit further.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2016, 04:30:38 AM »

I installed the long MRA rails which moved the screen 3" forward at the bottom getting a much better angle. I hardly feel any air at my neck. I do get it on the forehead and still have wind noise. Overall I'm fine with this setup. Definitely an improvement over the Zero touring screen. When springtime comes around I'll go back to the Zero screen as it looks better on the bike.

I was a little nervous about drilling the holes for the MRA rails install. I have old general purpose drill bits that aren't designed specifically for plastic. I just started with the smallest bit, then the next size up, etc until it was the right size (used about 6 bits this way). This method resulted in no cracking. It's a method I found recommended by someone on youtube.

With this new setup I do get much more headlight reflection. Tomorrow I'll ride in the dark to work and see if it is really distracting. One unintended side effect is that I do get turn signal reflection which I like so as to be reminded to turn them off.

Pics of the new install below.

2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

BRMRIDER

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2016, 12:47:57 AM »

Hello eBike riders! I'm new here so go easy on me.  :P

I just picked up a windscreen from a place in West Sacramento called Calsci Motorcycle Windscreens. They didn't have one made so we proto-typed 2 styles for the ZERO SR and DSR models that have the "highsider" headlight. (I believe the newer SR and DSR models are the same on the front end, except for the fork length...and front wheel size..and fender location....please correct me if needed..)

I ride the 2016 DSR ZF13.0 every day as a commuter with a 37 mile one way trip to work. I am 6' tall and added a 2" handle bar riser and a very tall Corbin seat. My seat is about 2" taller than stock.  The windscreen we made for my bike setup the way it is may not work for you as it is very tall, but, we also made a screen for the bike in its stock form..with out bar risers and taller seat. The guys at Calsci don't have the screen listed on their website yet, but I'm pretty sure if you contact them, they can get a screen put together for you. Calsci doesn't typically provide the mounts for the screen. I just used the same mounts from the commuter screen + the RAM mount.

I tried the factory "commuter screen" and it did not completely work the way I wanted. With 2 mounting points, I was having a lot of trouble with the commuter screen moving around while riding. I solved the moving issue by adding a RAM mount from the top of the head light to the center front of the screen to hold it on place. The RAM mount works pretty good, so I incorporated it into to the mounting for the Calsci screen (Seen in the photo).

I thought I would try and post this info because I have been trying to find a screen that will work for my situation. I think I found the perfect commuter screen, just wanted to pass it on to you guys!
'16 ZERO DSR ZF13.0
'14 KTM 500EXC
'00 FXDWG

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2016, 02:11:42 AM »

What effect is the keyhole in the CalSci windscreen for, possibly aerodynamics or cooling?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10