• April 26, 2024, 03:27:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Which windscreen is OK?  (Read 18722 times)

dukecola

• View Profile
Re: Which windscreen is OK?
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2016, 03:54:10 AM »

I have the commuter screen and like others the air doesn't deflect enough.  I just ordered this to see if it helps,

http://www.madhornets.com/windshield-windscreen-deflector-transparent-spoiler-shield-universal-motorcycle-motobike-clear/

I wish Zero had a taller one.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2016, 05:17:35 AM »

I have the commuter screen and like others the air doesn't deflect enough.  I just ordered this to see if it helps,

http://www.madhornets.com/windshield-windscreen-deflector-transparent-spoiler-shield-universal-motorcycle-motobike-clear/

I wish Zero had a taller one.

This spoiler by MRA will deflect more than that generic spoiler, and is designed to fit Zero's windscreens (which are MRA). But you will still need to crouch to get your head out of the wind.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-creen-touring-clamp-on-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade-windshield-extension

I feel like I must really emphasize that the Parabellum (BMW R-1200R model, re-adapted) is in a completely different class from these windscreens and is much more effective. I now ride 85+ miles per day commuting at 70-75 mph and my mileage and comfort are both good. I don't know how I'd deal with this commute using the OEM windscreen even with the spoiler listed above.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2016, 08:17:17 AM »

Perhaps Brian, the one I posted had pretty damn good reviews. For the price I figured it's worth a shot. The model I linked is a clone of the highly rated BMW Wonderlich model at 1/2 the price.  I don't travel highways often so I hope this is enough for my needs.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2016, 07:05:30 PM »

Doug,

These screens don't mention which kit they ship with. Did you have to specify mounting hardware options when you ordered?

I'm thinking of getting one of these screens.

Also, do you get any buffeting with it? I think you mentioned in another post you "don't mind some buffeting at the head to be able to see above the screen". How high does this screen come to your eyesight in normal upright riding position?

Thanks!

The second one definitely looks like the one I've got. Handlebar mounting stalks with a double bend in them, and tabs instead of fork clips.
'15 Zero SR

francesco

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2016, 07:27:50 AM »

These screens don't mention which kit they ship with. Did you have to specify mounting hardware options when you ordered?
Indeed the one from amazon doesn't come with the correct mounting kit. Or at least it didn't for me...and the customer service wasn't able to help.
I ended up buying the kit that looked right (still not the same as Doug, I suspect) separately. However. it lasted only ~3-4 months, then one of the supports broke (maybe stress from turbulence-induced vibration?).
Overall, I'm not happy with this windscreen, and I took it down. However, I should mention I'm not too keen  on tinkering with this kind of stuff.

Also, do you get any buffeting with it? I think you mentioned in another post you "don't mind some buffeting at the head to be able to see above the screen". How high does this screen come to your eyesight in normal upright riding position?
Quite a lot of buffeting at highway speed in upright position in my case. And noise. I'm 5'10. However very nice protection and quiet when in a tuck.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2016, 08:18:58 AM »

Bummer about the buffeting. That's how my cheap Chinese screen works too when in fairly upright and tallest mounting position - nice to tuck behind, but terrible when riding without tucking. When I lower and angle it back, there is almost no added buffeting, but I got no place to fully tuck anymore. Still, with a smaller screen like mine it is considerably better than without it - I took the screen off this last week and I did not like the wind in my chest. So even a smaller screen is good to have, as long as it is properly positioned to not add buffeting. Maybe I'll try the smaller version that Brian has - if the big version that Doug has is still not tall enough to cover you, at my height I might as well go with a smaller version...

Indeed the one from amazon doesn't come with the correct mounting kit. Or at least it didn't for me...and the customer service wasn't able to help.
I ended up buying the kit that looked right (still not the same as Doug, I suspect) separately. However. it lasted only ~3-4 months, then one of the supports broke (maybe stress from turbulence-induced vibration?).
Overall, I'm not happy with this windscreen, and I took it down. However, I should mention I'm not too keen  on tinkering with this kind of stuff.

Quite a lot of buffeting at highway speed in upright position in my case. And noise. I'm 5'10. However very nice protection and quiet when in a tuck.
'15 Zero SR

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2016, 03:13:32 AM »

Installed today an RMA vario touring screen and I must say that is a hell of a difference!
Had to fiddle a bit to adjust it properly, but the wind pressure is now almost zero on the chest and the overall riding experience is much better! Very good investment. I'm an even more happy driver.
And it consumes less power on the highway 🤑

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2016, 03:37:59 AM »

These look great, but way too small to offer full coverage for me without ducking a lot. Could still be a great option - I had a similarly sized "sport" screen on my Vectrix that, despite being the smallest of my three windscreens and not offering full protection, was my favorite in the warm months of the year (the other two taller screens buffeted badly and could not be adjusted).

I'm still hoping another, taller option will work for me - will post next week after I get it installed. Ordered the tallest National Cycle VStream for a Kawasaki Concours, so I'll have to get a bit creative with mounting it on the naked Zero...

Installed today an MRA vario touring screen and I must say that is a hell of a difference!
Had to fiddle a bit to adjust it properly, but the wind pressure is now almost zero on the chest and the overall riding experience is much better! Very good investment. I'm an even more happy driver.
'15 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2016, 03:40:34 AM »

Installed today an RMA vario touring screen and I must say that is a hell of a difference!

That's great!

I'm guessing you mean one of these three: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?brand=MRA+Motorcycle+Windshields&product_type=Windshields+%28for+naked+bikes%29&q=variotouringscreen
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2016, 12:11:47 PM »

Yes, the VTNB version. Looks great on the bike, especially for an aftermarket screen.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »

Yes, the VTNB version. Looks great on the bike, especially for an aftermarket screen.

Would you mind to take some well-focused pictures and write-up on zeromanual.com Wiki?

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2016, 04:11:42 AM »

The VStream by National Cycle just came early in the mail. It is model N2102, for Kawasaki Concours. Just over 24" tall and 20" wide.

Photo shows it overplayed on top of the "cheap chinese" screen that I have, which is almost identical in size to the Zero Touring screen (a little bigger, maybe, at 19" tall).

The top pair of mounting holes on the VStream matches exactly with the mounting holes on my current screen, so I should be able to reuse the handlebar mount hardware.

Bottom part of the screen is compact, with a bulge in the middle (for arm protection) and pretty wide on top (for chest/shoulder) protection. Will mount tomorrow and if the weather is good will test it.

'15 Zero SR

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2016, 04:24:52 AM »

Madstad makes awesome adjustable screens. I've contacted them about possible work around and am waiting to hear back.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2016, 07:29:13 PM »

Installed the VStream screen this morning and took the bike out for a short test ride. Will need to play with adjusting it a bit and securing the bottom, but initial results are encouraging. Here are some photos.
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2016, 07:42:30 PM »

The installation was easy. One thing I needed to do was enlarge the hole to match my hardware. The screen comes with 3 holes on each side from the factory, which are about 14mm wide by about 12mm tall (so they are oval). My hardware is 15mm round. Enlarging the holes was easy. Taped with masking tape over the existing hole and I used a 90 degree countersink drill bit that I had from some other project and that happened to be 15.8mm wide or so, so perfect for the job. Drilled a little from the front, some from the back and repeated the process maybe 2-3 times (so that I did not drill fully from one side only as I've heard that might cause cracks). Slow speed on the drill, very little pressure, worked great.

The bungee cord did not do anything the way it is put, but I had not tested it yet when I took the photos. If I had attached the cord lower it would have kept the bottom more secure, as it is it is useless, pretty much. I think I can use the bottom hole and attach something to the bottom of the handlebar mounts and it will be secure enough. As it is, it is moving too much for two reasons: it is a tall screen and second, the one pair of screen attachments that I currently have are almost horizontal due to he curve in the screen, so they do not stabilize as well as they would do if they were vertically oriented.

The wide and tall screen comes just below my eyes as it is (I'm 6'4"). As installed, it offers pretty much full shoulder and chest protection and very good arm protection. The air is directed above my helmet, and the ride is quieter vs. my helmet being in the air. However, I get a bit of added noise. This is not buffeting, but smooth flow around the sides and top of my helmet, which creates a bit of a whistling noise at my helmet (the screen itself is quiet, and my helmet is not the most quiet one out there). With a little duck I get fully protected, but since the screen is so close I have to crouch rather than duck. With a seat that puts me farther back, such as the Corbin, I imagine it would be perfect, but for the stock seat I am a bit too close to the screen.

I need to play with a few different positions, to see if I can angle it more vertically, or lower it, or possibly add an adjustable extension to eliminate this last bit of annoying air around my helmet. Even as it is, it is definitely quieter than my previous screen, because now I can hear the motor/belt, where before it was the wind I was hearing. Will keep you posted how it goes as I put some miles behind it.

If you are 6' or less, this screen will protect you completely, but will cover your eyesight, unless you lower it vs. where I have it on these photos. The good news is that you can lower it I think as much as probably 6" and it would still look good (probably better), since the front kind of matches the edgy look of the headlight.

Installed the VStream screen this morning and took the bike out for a short test ride. Will need to play with adjusting it a bit and securing the bottom, but initial results are encouraging. Here are some photos.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:45:41 PM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10