• April 26, 2024, 02:34:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Which windscreen is OK?  (Read 18721 times)

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
Re: Which windscreen is OK?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 02:39:36 AM »

I have the Puig Universal, and while it does take the wind off your chest, I'm not sure it has altered the range at all.

Do you find that the Puig Universal protects your neck and shoulder also or is it too small?

Do you think this Slipstreamer would fit?  It looks like the curved sides would hit the pointy part of the tank...

I don't care what it looks like, it's just for the winter and I want to be as warm, dry, and comfy as I can.  8)
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 03:46:01 AM »

I have the Puig Universal, and while it does take the wind off your chest, I'm not sure it has altered the range at all.

Do you find that the Puig Universal protects your neck and shoulder also or is it too small?

Do you think this Slipstreamer would fit?  It looks like the curved sides would hit the pointy part of the tank...

I don't care what it looks like, it's just for the winter and I want to be as warm, dry, and comfy as I can.  8)

I used that exact same Slipstreamer on my 1993 Honda 750 Nighthawk and it turned out to be too large for the bike.  It cut the gas mileage by 10% and it felt like the engine was really struggling pushing the thing around.  A National Cycle Deflector Screen DX worked much better, was less expensive, much easier to remove and replace and didn't affect the handling or gas mileage much, if at all.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 03:54:01 AM »

Patrick, that's EXACTLY the windscreen I have, and I couldn't be happier with it. You do need to mount it as low as possible or it will hit on the pointy thingies, but mounted low it clears. In addition the headlight cutout is much too large for modern motorcycles (including the S and SR) and it looks a little weird, but the protection level is great (though I'm only 5' 11" I have short legs and sit very tall), and I swear I got a 20+% improvement in range when I mounted it. I'm skeptical of that number myself, but it really is what I calculated, though I only did two comparisons and who knows how similar the riding conditions were.

Overall I'm very glad I got this instead of one of those little bikini fairings that look great but accomplish very little.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

TfuRdr15

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 04:05:45 AM »

Any chance you could post a picture of the slipstreamer installed? Also, could you pass along the model number for the slipstreamer that fits?

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 05:54:40 AM »

Doug, I'm really glad to hear that.  Do you have pictures?  I'd love to see what it looks like.  Also, any comments regarding Richard's concerns that it might be too big and affect handling?

Richard, how is the National Cycle Deflector Screen DX in terms of wind coverage?
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 06:30:38 AM »

Doug, I'm really glad to hear that.  Do you have pictures?  I'd love to see what it looks like.  Also, any comments regarding Richard's concerns that it might be too big and affect handling?

Richard, how is the National Cycle Deflector Screen DX in terms of wind coverage?

About 30% taller and wider than the Zero MRA screen.  But it sure is a lot easier to remove - and cheaper, too.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »

As requested. Sorry it's not a great picture. If I remember tomorrow I'll try to get a pic in better light.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 07:05:37 AM »

And just for fun: Mike Corbin's Sparrow 2 prototype, as seen at the Vetter Challenge in Hollister on July 4th.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 10:03:04 AM »

I had a similar style of screen on my scooter and it's range went down too. But it was mounted almost vertically.

TfuRdr15

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »

Hi Doug, do you have a model number / link for that screen?  Thanks!

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 04:04:16 AM »

Apparently it's a "Slip Streamer III S-03". It now says it's for some particular motorcycles, and the price has come up $20 since I ordered mine. It's universal, though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WK36BS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 04:29:34 AM »

Here is a photo of the Zero windshield on my 2014 S compared with the National Cycle Deflector shield DX on my Royal Enfield.  They look about the same size, but the DX is actually a little wider and taller.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 04:36:03 AM »

Here is a photo showing how the National Cycle Deflector screen DX is attached to the handlebars. Once the clamps are attached, they stay on permanently and you use the plastic knobs to remove and reinstall the windshield in less than a minute.  But note that the clamps are designed for a 7/8" diameter bar and will be tough to fit to the tapered and short bars on the Zero.  The same issue will occur with the Slipstreamer handlebar clamps.  Also the Slipstreamer uses hose clamps that attach the lower part of the windshield to the upper fork tubes.  Getting those clamps adjusted will be a bit of a struggle.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 04:50:15 AM »

The same issue will occur with the Slipstreamer handlebar clamps.  Also the Slipstreamer uses hose clamps that attach the lower part of the windshield to the upper fork tubes.  Getting those clamps adjusted will be a bit of a struggle.

Not mine. The handlebar clamps for the upper mounts come with two different thicknesses of rubber shim, so they fit the 7/8" bar or a thicker (1"?) bar, using the thinner shim. I put mine on the angled part of the bar, in between the upper and lower horizontal parts, and it worked fine. The lower mounting points on my screen are the headlight mounting bolts, which line up quite well, albeit at the end of the adjustment range. The only problem I had was that I needed fender washers for the lower mounts, which was easily solved by a trip to the hardware store.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 08:27:17 PM »

Gotta love early morning light!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10