• April 27, 2024, 07:50:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Which windscreen is OK?  (Read 18725 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Which windscreen is OK?
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2017, 05:07:16 AM »

Attached with MRA windshield mounts.  I like the fact that this shield has the handlebar guards, which direct air over my arms and shoulders making me more aerodynamic with less drag.  Currently I get enough wind on my gloves to keep my hands from getting too hot.  I can lower the shield if needed to block the wind from my hands, since Ive got the Xcreen now to direct wind overhead, thereby reducing buffeting.  Its a nice quiet ride behind this shield, with no appreciable reduction in battery life.  I think the shield profile matches my helmet/body in terms of direct, frontward air drag, so technically a smooth shield should produce less drag than my bumpy jacket etc.

Nice. Which ATV shield did you get (I see a number of kinds for sale)?

Did you do any drilling into the windscreen for the mounts?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2017, 08:11:13 PM »

Attached with MRA windshield mounts.  I like the fact that this shield has the handlebar guards, which direct air over my arms and shoulders making me more aerodynamic with less drag.  Currently I get enough wind on my gloves to keep my hands from getting too hot.  I can lower the shield if needed to block the wind from my hands, since Ive got the Xcreen now to direct wind overhead, thereby reducing buffeting.  Its a nice quiet ride behind this shield, with no appreciable reduction in battery life.  I think the shield profile matches my helmet/body in terms of direct, frontward air drag, so technically a smooth shield should produce less drag than my bumpy jacket etc.

Nice. Which ATV shield did you get (I see a number of kinds for sale)?

Did you do any drilling into the windscreen for the mounts?

https://www.amazon.com/TMS-WINDSHIELD-OVERSIZE-2TONE-Windshield-Kawasaki-Davidson/dp/B00876QE5E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493042588&sr=8-2&keywords=atv+windshield

https://www.amazon.com/MRA-Mounting-windscreens-universal-diameter/dp/B005EY2FKU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1493042917&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=MRA+windshield+mount+hardware

I did drill 4 extra holes for a total of 8, to mount the MRA shield attachments.  It is acrylic and therefore cracks easily, and I found this out the hard way.  Luckily it $45 so its relatively cheap to replace.  I had to pick up some longer than stock screws/nuts than what came with the MRA stuff since the shield slope prevented an exact flush mount.

I'm undecided if the large shield is better for hot weather riding than direct wind flow, but it sure is better in 40 and below temps...

Snow4us

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2018, 10:40:19 PM »

Puig universal windscreen

What is the model of your windscreen?  I'm seeing several "Puig universal windscreen" options on Amazon.  Do you find that the windscreen is rigid enough for higher speeds?  Have you noticed any detrimental effects on range with the windscreen?

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2018, 02:57:31 AM »

Hi SRich...........I'm also interested in knowing how you're Puig Universal Touring II windshield is holding up.  I had the MRA V-Flow C with Sport Screen on my FXS until a car slide on some ice and totaled the bike.  I really liked that setup.

I now have a new 2017 DSR Special Edition that came from the factory with  small windshield (not even sure which one it is), but I hate it because it directs the air right at my face and there is no way to adjust it to keep it from doing that.  I'm sure the V-Flow would work just as well on my DSR, but it's kind of pricey so I thought I would check to see how you like your Puig windshield now that you've had it for a while.

PS - the windscreen that came with my DSR is the Zero Dual Sport screen.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:47:51 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

nnelson65

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2018, 03:15:54 AM »

I can't recommend the Givi A660 universal screen highly enough!  I've had it for about three weeks, during which time I have ridden about 1300 miles on my '16 DS13.0.  I posted a little comment about it on ZMOG, but I thought I'd give you all a more thorough review. 

The price was right (<$100), the looks aren't bad, installation took 20 minutes, and adjusting to a position that suited me took only 3-4 rides.  The wind protection is not as complete as some of you may like...I'm 6' and the wind starts to hit about an inch below the top of my shoulders.  The wind noise at my helmet is about the same as without a screen, and the wind pressure pn my helmet is slightly reduced.

The very best thing about this screen is the effect that it's had on my range.  Most of the miles I've ridden are on my commute, which has temporarily become a 50-55mi one-way ride down the freeway with very little traffic, which has given me the opportunity to experiment with speeds that I ride.  Here are a few of the numbers, all calculated by dividing miles ridden by %battery used as displayed on the dash (I know...not the most accurate, but VERY repeatable over the 32,000miles I've ridden this bike in the last 2+ years):

60-65mph...achieving 85-90+miles of range sitting up  (previous to the screen I was lucky to achieve 85miles at 55mph)

50-55mph...achieving 100+miles

70mph...typically achieving 78miles (worst was 67mph into a stiff wind, best was 85mi...probably some tailwind)...without a screen I typically get 65-68miles sitting up, 70-73miles in a semi-serious tuck and have gotten as low as 50ish sitting up in a stiff headwind.

Roughly, it looks like I'm consistently getting a 15-20% improvement in range with this windscreen...wow!  I bought it with the hope of finding a 10% improvement in range, so I can certainly say I'm satisfied with this one :)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2018, 04:01:44 AM »

A range improvement like that is always good. I’ll list this review in the wiki next to others for reference.

Windscreen choice and effects vary with rider. Did you have to tune it at all?

nnelson65

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2018, 12:40:44 AM »

I set it up for looks and to leave just a little gap between it's bottom edge and the headlight for some airflow underneath, and then I adjusted it twice to make it more comfortable to tuck behind when the wind is really gusty.  I wouldn't say it's optimized by any means.  The range improvement was so great and the looks weren't too bad, so I won't bother tinkering with it too much. 

Now I'm thinking about how to smooth out the airflow over the frame-mounted diginows without adding a full fairing.  It can't be good for your range to have those square-edged blocks sticking out in the wind.  I'm thinking maybe something like a moto-style skid plate...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 01:42:50 AM by nnelson65 »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2018, 09:25:49 PM »

I set it up for looks and to leave just a little gap between it's bottom edge and the headlight for some airflow underneath, and then I adjusted it twice to make it more comfortable to tuck behind when the wind is really gusty.  I wouldn't say it's optimized by any means.  The range improvement was so great and the looks weren't too bad, so I won't bother tinkering with it too much. 

Now I'm thinking about how to smooth out the airflow over the frame-mounted diginows without adding a full fairing.  It can't be good for your range to have those square-edged blocks sticking out in the wind.  I'm thinking maybe something like a moto-style skid plate...

Good idea, but that deserves a new thread.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]