• April 26, 2024, 06:32:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Which windscreen is OK?  (Read 18723 times)

Low On Cash

• View Profile
Re: Which windscreen is OK?
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2016, 05:41:58 AM »

With this cool weather here, I'm loving my Zero Touring shield - I did notice she is a little different than others I've seen.
Yours is missing the edge trim:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications#OEM_Touring_Screen

I didn't really like the way the firm looks why do they include it?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2016, 07:30:45 AM »

With this cool weather here, I'm loving my Zero Touring shield - I did notice she is a little different than others I've seen.
Yours is missing the edge trim:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications#OEM_Touring_Screen

I didn't really like the way the firm looks why do they include it?

If you are referring to the windshield edge trim, I believe it is either a product liability issue, or perhaps an EU regulation.  The last windshield I bought from the UK came with rubber edging that I was supposed to install myself.  Unfortunately, it fell off.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2016, 08:09:14 AM »

Thanks for the reply - I've got 5 other windshields ranging from Honda's to Can Am's and none have that edging on the shields - Even though I would not put it on -  they didn't give me enough to do the entire windshield anyhow. I will install a small piece by the headlight to prevent it from touching the shield.

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2016, 08:54:06 AM »

This is all they gave me, hardly enough for the bottom!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2016, 08:44:37 PM »

This is all they gave me, hardly enough for the bottom!

I received a similar amount of tubing when I bought my last windshield from a UK company.  I gather that it is supposed to be installed at the top edge of the windshield to keep the windshield from cutting you when you go flying over it during a head-on crash.  But I did the same thing you did and installed it at the bottom of the windshield to keep it from marring the headlight finish.   :) 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

SRich

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »

Puig universal windscreen

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2017, 08:01:39 PM »

This looks very nice. How does it ride (and how tall are you)? Does it mount to the handlebar or to the handlebar clamp bolts (asking because with my screens that do not use the handlebar clamp bolt, they rotate out of position at highway speeds and need to be secured at the bottom, near the headlight to prevent that)?

Thanks!
'15 Zero SR

SRich

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2017, 03:20:27 AM »

I am 6' tall.  The windshield to me seems the perfect size. I had a shorter universal shield before this that didn't get the air flow up over my helmet so it was quite noisy.  This one is much quiter.  Wide enough that it keeps the air off my chest.  I like that it is not too big, again seems just the right size.  Attaches to handlebar with 2 supports. Has plastic covers that cover the handlebar clamps to give it a nice finished look.  I highly recommend it.

dano

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2017, 05:58:09 PM »

SRich,
As suggested by @Kocho, does it move or need adjustment after highway speeds?
Did it require any modification to fit properly?
How about a pic from the riders point of view!
Thanks!
Dan

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2017, 06:27:16 PM »

I thought I'd share my experiences with the 2 windshields I' have: the 19" off brand $45 one and the 4x the cost 24"+ VStream

The VStream I managed to position to my liking and it offers excellent protection and pretty much no buffeting for me at 6'4". It is installed on handlebars bars with 2" risers, so it is like a 26-27" tall screen on stock risers :) . I can ride fully upright and not worry about wind. It needs the bottom secured, or it will rotate from wind pressure. With bottom secured it is good.

This week I removed the VStream (selling the bike) and without it the SR feels better (just like my Vectrix felt better with a smaller sport screen vs. the huge winter screen). Large screens just reduce the agility of the bike.

I think the VStream helps with mileage. Ride at 40-45mph without a screen and without ducking, and I think my mileage drops to the same as I'd get at 55mph with the VStream. Roughly.

I reinstalled the smaller cheap screen yesterday. This time I used different mounting points in the middle of the handlebars where the bars are thicker. Still wide part up. It now looks a lot like the Zero touring (larger) screen. I think this mounting is better and more stable. No buffeting on my helmet, air stream hits me in the face. Fine for city riding, but for faster than 45mph ducking behind is needed. For shorter folks it might work better.

I also "flattened" the fairly rounded shape of he wider portion of he cheap screen. Heated it up with a heat gun and pressed down to flatten and widen the wide part. Not fully flat, but it gained an inch or two of width and is less rounded. I think this works pretty well and is closer in shape in the wider/to section now to the MRI screen from Zero. For summer riding I prefer a smaller screen, so this works well.
'15 Zero SR

SRich

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2017, 05:32:18 AM »

Puig Universal

SRich

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2017, 05:41:56 AM »

SRich,
As suggested by @Kocho, does it move or need adjustment after highway speeds?
Did it require any modification to fit properly?
How about a pic from the riders point of view!
Thanks!
Dan

No modifications or adjustments needed.

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2017, 09:17:58 AM »

ATV windshield works like a champ  8)

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2017, 09:19:29 AM »

Added the MRA Xscreen

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2017, 09:21:12 AM »

Attached with MRA windshield mounts.  I like the fact that this shield has the handlebar guards, which direct air over my arms and shoulders making me more aerodynamic with less drag.  Currently I get enough wind on my gloves to keep my hands from getting too hot.  I can lower the shield if needed to block the wind from my hands, since Ive got the Xcreen now to direct wind overhead, thereby reducing buffeting.  Its a nice quiet ride behind this shield, with no appreciable reduction in battery life.  I think the shield profile matches my helmet/body in terms of direct, frontward air drag, so technically a smooth shield should produce less drag than my bumpy jacket etc.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:32:12 AM by ZeroPointZero »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10