• April 25, 2024, 06:44:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Which windscreen is OK?  (Read 18718 times)

Chief_Lee_Visceral

• View Profile
Re: Which windscreen is OK?
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2016, 02:37:56 AM »

It is a NACA duct because there is too much drag created if you do not try to redirect the air as opposed to forcing it all to the outer edges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_duct
Current bikes:

2016 Zero DSR
2014 KTM 1190R
2011 Husaberg FE570S
2012 KTM 500EXC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
2007 Honda CRF450X Rally
1987 BMW K100RS

BRMRIDER

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2016, 02:53:17 AM »

The cut out allows a little bit of air to pass through the screen, reducing the front pressure and turbulence that would be forced over and around the edges causing turbulence . It helps to create a negative pressure zone behind the screen where you sit. It pretty much eliminates the buffing effect. I haven't used it in the rain yet. My friend has one with the keyhole and says that rain doesn't come through as much as you would think....I'll find out this week when it rains ... :)
'16 ZERO DSR ZF13.0
'14 KTM 500EXC
'00 FXDWG

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2016, 05:08:33 AM »

Great information. I can't tell from the photo how that RAM mount is attached to the bike.

How does it do at highway speeds?

Hello eBike riders! I'm new here so go easy on me.  :P

I just picked up a windscreen from a place in West Sacramento called Calsci Motorcycle Windscreens. They didn't have one made so we proto-typed 2 styles for the ZERO SR and DSR models that have the "highsider" headlight. (I believe the newer SR and DSR models are the same on the front end, except for the fork length...and front wheel size..and fender location....please correct me if needed..)

I ride the 2016 DSR ZF13.0 every day as a commuter with a 37 mile one way trip to work. I am 6' tall and added a 2" handle bar riser and a very tall Corbin seat. My seat is about 2" taller than stock.  The windscreen we made for my bike setup the way it is may not work for you as it is very tall, but, we also made a screen for the bike in its stock form..with out bar risers and taller seat. The guys at Calsci don't have the screen listed on their website yet, but I'm pretty sure if you contact them, they can get a screen put together for you. Calsci doesn't typically provide the mounts for the screen. I just used the same mounts from the commuter screen + the RAM mount.

I tried the factory "commuter screen" and it did not completely work the way I wanted. With 2 mounting points, I was having a lot of trouble with the commuter screen moving around while riding. I solved the moving issue by adding a RAM mount from the top of the head light to the center front of the screen to hold it on place. The RAM mount works pretty good, so I incorporated it into to the mounting for the Calsci screen (Seen in the photo).

I thought I would try and post this info because I have been trying to find a screen that will work for my situation. I think I found the perfect commuter screen, just wanted to pass it on to you guys!
2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

BRMRIDER

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2016, 09:30:52 AM »

evdjerome, Here's a picture of the way it's is mounted....I'm using the 2 stock arms that were supplied with the "Commuter" screen from ZERO. The RAM Ball mounts are attached with a standard M6x1.0 allen screw. I did have to drill one 1/4" hole through the headlight bucket and one through the windscreen. You should be careful with where the hole goes through the headlight as there are wires underneath that could be damaged...be careful! Also, it helps to mock up the hole locations and mark them with tape to be sure where the holes are going to be when it's all done.....
'16 ZERO DSR ZF13.0
'14 KTM 500EXC
'00 FXDWG

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2016, 11:01:57 AM »

Welcome!

I just picked up a windscreen from a place in West Sacramento called Calsci Motorcycle Windscreens. They didn't have one made so we proto-typed 2 styles for the ZERO SR and DSR models that have the "highsider" headlight. (I believe the newer SR and DSR models are the same on the front end, except for the fork length...and front wheel size..and fender location....please correct me if needed..)

That's awesome! I'm in Oakland which is juuust far enough away from Sacramento that I didn't go visit for a fitment. I have a Parabellum that I spent a lot of time customizing, and it is really good news that CalSci put enough time into one of their well-designed patterns for a Zero.

The headlamp is an LSL Urban Headlight, normally seen on the Yamaha MT-03.

The one way that a DSR differs for windshield mounts is the handlebar height and width. I'm not sure how to summarize it right except that I wound up using the longest MRA mounting struts to get the right angle for the Parabellum.

I ride the 2016 DSR ZF13.0 every day as a commuter with a 37 mile one way trip to work. I am 6' tall and added a 2" handle bar riser and a very tall Corbin seat. My seat is about 2" taller than stock.  The windscreen we made for my bike setup the way it is may not work for you as it is very tall, but, we also made a screen for the bike in its stock form..with out bar risers and taller seat. The guys at Calsci don't have the screen listed on their website yet, but I'm pretty sure if you contact them, they can get a screen put together for you. Calsci doesn't typically provide the mounts for the screen. I just used the same mounts from the commuter screen + the RAM mount.

Nice. What bar risers did you choose? How well did the cables handle the bar change?

I tried the factory "commuter screen" and it did not completely work the way I wanted. With 2 mounting points, I was having a lot of trouble with the commuter screen moving around while riding. I solved the moving issue by adding a RAM mount from the top of the head light to the center front of the screen to hold it on place.

It's common that the Commuter screen is not quite enough for riders over 5'9" (my height). Your RAM mount solution is clever - we should document it on the wiki.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BRMRIDER

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2016, 12:00:01 PM »

BrianTRice,

I am using the ROX 2" bar riser. It really doesn't fit the handle bar too well. It's for 28mm/1 1/8" bars....which are not the same .... 28mm is .0226" smaller in diameter than 1.125". Im not sure why they think it's interchangeable...?..

I have the stock MRA "ball bars" extended all the way out so the end of the shaft is flush with it's clamp on the front two handle bar clamps. With the Calsci screen, this gives a good angle for everything to go over the top of the helmet.

All the stock cables just barely reach with the 2" riser. I took off the "dashboard" and carefully pulled the needed length from each of the cables. I didn't cut the zip ties...I just pulled what I needed. There is no binding when I turn the bars from lock to lock. Seems to be fine. I might eventually go back in there and reroute at some point.

I was really bummed about how crumby the stock mount was for the commuter screen. At one point I had a bungee wrapped around bottom of it to keep it from going horizontal. Then I was dealing with the thing vibrating and bouncing off the headlight every time I rode over a bump in the road. Super annoying. And the wind and water blasting into my eyeballs was the end of the commuter screen. Thanks for the comment on the ram mount, it was the only thing I could think of besides maybe a 3D printed bracket.
'16 ZERO DSR ZF13.0
'14 KTM 500EXC
'00 FXDWG

BRMRIDER

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2016, 12:17:47 PM »

I did a test run at "max speed" last night with the calsci screen. I actually didn't realize I was almost topped out. I was surprised at how calm it was behind this screen. There is very light wind noise.

There are 2 holes that need to be drilled for the ram mount. I used the 3" composite ram mount clamp. 1" ram mount balls with m6 female threads.

Great information. I can't tell from the photo how that RAM mount is attached to the bike.

How does it do at highway speeds?

I tried the factory "commuter screen" and it did not completely work the way I wanted. With 2 mounting points, I was having a lot of trouble with the commuter screen moving around while riding. I solved the moving issue by adding a RAM mount from the top of the head light to the center front of the screen to hold it on place. The RAM mount works pretty good, so I incorporated it into to the mounting for the Calsci screen (Seen in the photo).

I thought I would try and post this info because I have been trying to find a screen that will work for my situation. I think I found the perfect commuter screen, just wanted to pass it on to you guys!
'16 ZERO DSR ZF13.0
'14 KTM 500EXC
'00 FXDWG

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »

I am using the ROX 2" bar riser. It really doesn't fit the handle bar too well. It's for 28mm/1 1/8" bars....which are not the same .... 28mm is .0226" smaller in diameter than 1.125". Im not sure why they think it's interchangeable...?..
All the stock cables just barely reach with the 2" riser. I took off the "dashboard" and carefully pulled the needed length from each of the cables. I didn't cut the zip ties...I just pulled what I needed. There is no binding when I turn the bars from lock to lock. Seems to be fine. I might eventually go back in there and reroute at some point.

Okay, I'll go for a 1" riser like I've used on the V-Strom.

I have the stock MRA "ball bars" extended all the way out so the end of the shaft is flush with it's clamp on the front two handle bar clamps. With the Calsci screen, this gives a good angle for everything to go over the top of the helmet.

For your height, that sounds like a good result. Is the air smoothly flowing over your helmet and down your back, or does it detach?

I was really bummed about how crumby the stock mount was for the commuter screen. At one point I had a bungee wrapped around bottom of it to keep it from going horizontal. Then I was dealing with the thing vibrating and bouncing off the headlight every time I rode over a bump in the road. Super annoying. And the wind and water blasting into my eyeballs was the end of the commuter screen. Thanks for the comment on the ram mount, it was the only thing I could think of besides maybe a 3D printed bracket.

This is just what I went through a year ago, having added an MRA spoiler to the commuter screen and trying to cross Bay Area bridges every other day. The spoiler does soften up the air around the lip so it flows much better, but it's not ideal and adds too much dynamic load on the mount. I used a bungee and tried a few other things before I gave up and scoured Craigslist for a windscreen to try, where I luckily found the Parabellum.

That's where this thread started: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5525
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2016, 06:11:54 PM »

Thanks. Very nice install.

How tall is the shield?

Would love to see a full side view of the entire bike to see the angle you have it at and how big it looks on the bike from the side.

evdjerome, Here's a picture of the way it's is mounted....I'm using the 2 stock arms that were supplied with the "Commuter" screen from ZERO. The RAM Ball mounts are attached with a standard M6x1.0 allen screw. I did have to drill one 1/4" hole through the headlight bucket and one through the windscreen. You should be careful with where the hole goes through the headlight as there are wires underneath that could be damaged...be careful! Also, it helps to mock up the hole locations and mark them with tape to be sure where the holes are going to be when it's all done.....
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2016, 12:02:40 AM »

With this cool weather here, I'm loving my Zero Touring shield - I did notice she is a little different than others I've seen.

BRMRIDER

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2016, 12:11:38 AM »

Here's a picture of the full side view. The total height of the screen is 24". The bottom of the screen just about touches the intersection of the headlight and the speedometer housing.

Thanks. Very nice install.

How tall is the shield?

Would love to see a full side view of the entire bike to see the angle you have it at and how big it looks on the bike from the side.

'16 ZERO DSR ZF13.0
'14 KTM 500EXC
'00 FXDWG

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2016, 02:12:05 AM »

Your seat looks great - flatter and farther back than stock (or the regular Corbin replacement). Was that a custom order? Care to share more details about it? For tall folks like us, that seems like a great mod. My screen from vStream is about the same height as yours and anything lower is just not offering protection for the head. I'll probably buy the MRA long mounts and replace the ones I have to get the fit just right on my screen. 
'15 Zero SR

BRMRIDER

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2016, 02:37:44 AM »

Kocho, the seat is made by Corbin. They have a "ride in" program here in California where they basically build the seat while you wait. The stock seat they sell was not going to work for me; it is pretty much the same as the Zero seat but nicer looking. I tried the "off the shelf" Corbin seat and slid right into the tank the first time I hit the brakes. It was angled forward. I had them add an extra almost 3" of foam and bring the "butt pocket" forward about 2". The butt pocket could still come forward another 1"+ from where it is. Long story....yes it is custom (took them close to 9 hours to get it made from scratch while I waited)

As far as the screen and the mounting arms...I used the ones that came with zero commuter screen. They are 6" long on the metal shaft portion. The windshield location will change depending on if you are using bar risers and the by riser height.

Your seat looks great - flatter and farther back than stock (or the regular Corbin replacement). Was that a custom order? Care to share more details about it? For tall folks like us, that seems like a great mod. My screen from vStream is about the same height as yours and anything lower is just not offering protection for the head. I'll probably buy the MRA long mounts and replace the ones I have to get the fit just right on my screen.
'16 ZERO DSR ZF13.0
'14 KTM 500EXC
'00 FXDWG

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2016, 02:41:55 AM »

With this cool weather here, I'm loving my Zero Touring shield - I did notice she is a little different than others I've seen.
Yours is missing the edge trim:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications#OEM_Touring_Screen

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2016, 04:52:08 AM »

Thanks for the pic. The tank bag helps to make the tall windshield not seem too out of proportion with the bike.

24" seems about perfect for me. My slipstream is 19" and the wind hits my forehead. I went ahead and ordered the MRA X-screen to get another 6". I'll install it this weekend.

If I were to start over I'd probably get something like your screen and use the long MRA rails to adjust the angle to my taste, probably a little more angled than you have yours.

Love the corbin seat.

Here's a picture of the full side view. The total height of the screen is 24". The bottom of the screen just about touches the intersection of the headlight and the speedometer housing.

2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10