• May 18, 2024, 02:04:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Terry busted 300 miles on a charge yesterday!  (Read 1169 times)

teddillard

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Terry busted 300 miles on a charge yesterday!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 09:37:17 PM »

Seeing that picture of him in traffic made me laugh...it's funny how your perspectives can change. I used to hate traffic (for all the obvious reasons), but now when I hit traffic, I have much more mixed emotions. I still pretty much hate being slowed down, but at least slowing down will boost my range! I've gone from a full-blown speed demon to borderline efficiency freak.

Anyhow, great job Terry!
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Terry busted 300 miles on a charge yesterday!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 09:51:14 PM »

He commented at one point on Facebook for this trip that the bike is now loaded with 27kWh [edited for silly decimal point usage] of battery capacity, which is immense. (Correction welcome) I'm particularly interested in touring, so this is an interesting figure.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:58:34 PM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 09:57:51 PM »

He commented at one point on Facebook for this trip that the bike is now loaded with 2.7kWh of battery capacity, which is immense. (Correction welcome)

Correction asked for, correction received: Terry has 27 kWh of battery capacity onboard, more than a Nissan Leaf has (IIRC, 24 kWh). In addition, he carries a couple hundred pounds' worth of chargers around so he can recharge quickly too. I can't imagine his bike weighs less than 1200 pounds or so with him on board.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 10:00:28 PM »

Thanks for that. I think I'm too used to typing kWh with a decimal point. The mass is certainly a concern, at least with current generation batteries and a custom build. A more integrated approach might bring that down a bit but not enormously.

teddillard

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 12:00:09 AM »

I think he's catching up on his sleep right now, but I've asked him about that battery capacity, and whether he had a full boat of his usual chargers.  I'll update when I hear back from him, but last I heard - a year or so ago - he had 18kWh onboard.  I saw the same comment on the FB post - astounding!

teddillard

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 01:23:33 AM »

Yep, Terry confirmed the 27 kWh, and the bike weighs 980lbs without him on it.

He pulled off all but two chargers for this attempt. He also turned down the chargers to 4kw and pulled out the cooling fans for some more weight savings.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »

This reminded me of the Brutus V9 that claims a highway range of 210 miles and a city range of 280 miles with a 33.7 kwh battery pack. Have never seen a real road test of them though. With a CHAdeMO connection you could really travel with this.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 06:50:44 AM »

Correction asked for, correction received: Terry has 27 kWh of battery capacity onboard, more than a Nissan Leaf has (IIRC, 24 kWh). In addition, he carries a couple hundred pounds' worth of chargers around so he can recharge quickly too. I can't imagine his bike weighs less than 1200 pounds or so with him on board.
The Nissan LEAF uses 3.8V 33AH cells in a 96S2P configuration, for approximately 24 kWh at nominal capacity. In practice, the LEAF delivers closer to 21 kWh because the nominal capacity rating is measured at a gentle 0.3C discharge.

Terry's bike with 9 modules uses 3.65V 20Ah cells in a 18S18P (!) configuration, for 23.7 kWh of nominal capacity. Probably slightly more real-world capacity than a LEAF; while nominal capacities as in this case can be compared with a grain of salt, comparing nominal to maximum capacity is never right!

Thanks for that. I think I'm too used to typing kWh with a decimal point. The mass is certainly a concern, at least with current generation batteries and a custom build. A more integrated approach might bring that down a bit but not enormously.
The ZF9 monolith weighs 69.4 kg. Each ZF3 module weighs 24.5 kg; he has six modules, so at least "stock" his 23.7 kWh battery would weigh 216 kg or 476 pounds for approximately 110 Wh/kg. Summing the volume of all modules, less all the connective hardware etc, works out to 131L or ~181 Wh/L.

The ZF12.5 monolith is rated at 11.0 kWh nominal capacity. I assume it is very similar in weight and volume to the 2013-2014 monolith, which weighs 77 kg for 143 Wh/kg and 266 Wh/L.

Assuming a scaled up monolith would have similar density, a 23.7 kWh monolith based on the 2015 27Ah cells would weigh 50 kg / 110 pounds less and occupy less than 2/3 of the volume of the 2012 frankenpack.

The 4 brick monolith is 378 x 252 x 430.5 mm (L x W x H). The main body of the "brick" is approximately 200 x 248 x 188 mm.

An 8 brick 22 kWh monolith could be laid out as a 2x2x2 configuration of bricks. The main body of the monolith would be approximately 400 x 376 x 500 mm ( L x W x H). The length and height would increase slightly (2 to 7 cm); the width would increase by 12 cm or 5", which might be uncomfortable to straddle. But it certainly would be smaller and lighter than Terry's bike, probably less than 600 pounds with slightly less capacity. Add streamlining and a high density charging solution and total weight would still be less than 700 pounds I think.

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 09:37:35 PM »

An 8 brick 22 kWh monolith could be laid out as a 2x2x2 configuration of bricks. The main body of the monolith would be approximately 400 x 376 x 500 mm ( L x W x H). The length and height would increase slightly (2 to 7 cm); the width would increase by 12 cm or 5", which might be uncomfortable to straddle. But it certainly would be smaller and lighter than Terry's bike, probably less than 600 pounds with slightly less capacity. Add streamlining and a high density charging solution and total weight would still be less than 700 pounds I think.

That's very encouraging; thanks for working it out. :)

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 09:51:29 PM »

I hope Zero is working toward that bike -- that's the one I want. I think there are better ways of configuring the package, however...wider at the front, narrower at the rear would be good, like a transverse 4-cylinder engine on a conventional bike. Remember how wide the engine on the CBX was?

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 09:58:55 PM »

Saw a CBX a few months ago. Crazy wide!

Definitely are better ways than just turning it into a huge brick. Just an illustration that Zero could build a much larger pack today if they thought it would sell.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 01:41:32 AM »

Since the current DS/S/SR monolith uses four bricks and yields 12.5 kWh, I presume each brick is worth 3.125 kWh. So this monstrosity that I sketched up would be good for 31.25 kWh, nearly half of the smallest Tesla battery pack. It would be a bit of a whale at around 192 kg (423 lbs), and as you say it might be a bit uncomfortable to straddle even the narrow part at 379mm (14.9") wide. It would also be very expensive; if Zero can come close to the $350/kWh the big boys are currently paying, it would still cost Zero around $11k, so we're talking about a $30k bike here. But who wouldn't want that bike? Freeway range would be somewhere around 175 miles; city range double that.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 11:16:48 AM »

Since the current DS/S/SR monolith uses four bricks and yields 12.5 kWh, I presume each brick is worth 3.125 kWh.

Each brick is rated at 2.75 kWh nominal capacity, for a total capacity of 11 kWh nominal on the four brick monolith. A 10 brick pack would be 27.5 kWh nominal then.
Pages: [1]