• March 28, 2024, 02:24:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Anyone have a Zero Quick Charger Y Adapter they want to sell  (Read 2218 times)

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY

Looking for a Zero Quick Charger Y Adapter 2013-2015 version. Please PM or email me if you have one you no longer need.

There are no dealers in Australia to by these from after we lost our Zero distributor.

Thanks
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

frode

• View Profile
Re: Anyone have a Zero Quick Charger Y Adapter they want to sell
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 06:41:01 PM »

How much does it cost to build this Y adapter? Is the actual component cost anything near the $249.99 they charge for it? :)

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:37:19 PM »

Using mouser for most key parts $58 before choosing wires and covers.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 11:12:32 PM »

I believe Zero just replaced the distributor in Australia. So you should be able to get these ordered locally again.  PM me which dealer you are using and I'll follow up on my end.

Regards,
aaronzeromoto
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles
Director of Customer Experience

2018 Zero DSR + 6kW Charge Tank
2016 Zero FXS
2015 Zero DS + 2.5 kW Charge Tank
2014 Zero SR + Power Tank
2013 Zero DS ZF11.4, Zero FX ZF5.7 and Zero XU 2.8
2007 Yamaha V Star

Christian Frankl

• Less noise - more fun!
    • View Profile
    • Enduro-Stammtisch Straubing
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 02:49:36 PM »

Hi Burton!

Do you eventually have the mouser parts list to build an own Y-Adapter?
I can order at mouser and would be happy to get a list with the parts to order.

Best regards from Bavaria,

Chris
Best regards,

Christian

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:20:17 PM »

No I didn't export the list and I haven't built my own yet but I did build my own connector for the bike to go from the controller to a Anderson connector so I am familiar with the parts.

DoctorBass will likely correct some of my parts here but this is what I THINK you need.

PDF for part numbers above
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/22/andersonpowerproducts_DS-SBS(4)-355281.pdf

So here is my thought process, and I don't have a stock Y Connector to confirm this btw.

2 / 4) are used on the main connector to the bike. You only get #2 if you don't have the stock connectors in place already. I have not measured the pin size on the stock connector to confirm this is the gauge used. I would suggest doing that first then ordering what you need above and posting the correction here.

3 / 5) are used on the stems coming from the main connector. I couldn't tell you which pin is needed (3 or 4) for the small ones to work with the delta-Q chargers but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. I don't believe these need TWO pins, just the one which trips pin 38/40 on the MBB. the battery on a MY13 monolyth where it plugs in.

6 / 7) Should be noted the 1340's have ground indicators on the pins (which you will never see anyway when installed) and the 1339's do not.

6) These would be used on the stems coming from main connector with whatever Silicon wire you use (and please use silicon wire as it has too many benefits)

7)  Slightly larger size used on main connector so it can accept TWO of the silicon wires in the gauge you chose.

Now ... for some reason if you can't fit two of the wires into one connector then I would suggest you order 2 more of the smaller gauge connectors and crimp them to ONE of the stems pos / neg ends which terminate at the main connector. Then slide the pin into the other larger gauge connector followed by the wire and crimp it tight.

I do this trick with my Y connectors for my PP45's ...

DoctorBass might be able to give you a better method to do this though so don't take my word it will work the way you expect it to. I also shaped the pin a bit when I did this and these larger connectors are harder to do that to. If you clipped the raised section off the pin and rounded it out like a half pipe a little so it fit inside the connector it might work.

I use two 10AWG of equal length for ONE run from the controller to ONE contactor in the Anderson. Tesla does this with their connectors as well (using two wires) and I don't recall it being hard to fit them both into the AWG 8 connector.

Again WARNING WARNING WARNING I have not built this connector out and I don't know what gauge silicon wire you will need nor if two of those wires can fit into the connector in question.

But that said it should give you a start ;)

I used 10AWG Silicon Wire and it never gets hot.

Please add to this if you make your own for reference later. ... That reminds me, I need to order more silicon wire.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:08:02 PM by Burton »

frode

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 07:00:26 PM »

No I didn't export the list and I haven't built my own yet but I did build my own connector for the bike to go from the controller to a Anderson connector so I am familiar with the parts.
I used 10AWG Silicon Wire and it never gets hot.
dd to this if you make your own for reference later. ... That reminds me, I need to order more silicon wire.
Great research, Burton. Thanks for sharing. :)

My only concern is to solder instead of crimping. Did you crimp or solder the 8AWG connecter pin?

BTW: Where do people buy the silicon wires in shorter lengths? mouser, farnell and digikey seem to only sell spools.
Both hobbyking and dealextreme sell 8AWG silicon wire, but only in 50 and 100cm lengths.

Frode

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 07:10:06 PM »

Motion RC is where I got mine, ordered 30m of black / red and used it to make all of my adaptors and my "extension" cord for $1/ft if I recall.

This is how I connected my pins to the silicon wires ;)

Soldering j1772 pins or other

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 04:44:14 AM »

Thanks for all your input. I've just realised I can use the standard charge port and quick charge port for each of the two 2000w TC chargers I am getting so can charge fast enough without the Y cable for now (the standard charger is off the bike for weight saving on the track).
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 05:55:09 AM »

Hey Burton, the way I read the data sheet is that the 1340 pins are for the center position of the three-pin connector only; they're longer, so you want to use them on the ground pin so it makes before the power lines make --safer to make sure the ground is connected before any of the power lines. I believe the 1339 one are correct for the power lines on all the connectors, including the three-pin version.

Excellent work compiling the list, though. I may wind up building my own J1772 charging system and if I do, I'll be studying your work extensively.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Christian Frankl

• Less noise - more fun!
    • View Profile
    • Enduro-Stammtisch Straubing
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 11:01:58 AM »

Hello Burton,

thanks very much for sharing the parts list !

Best regards,

Christian
Best regards,

Christian

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 06:48:12 PM »

Hey Burton, the way I read the data sheet is that the 1340 pins are for the center position of the three-pin connector only; they're longer, so you want to use them on the ground pin so it makes before the power lines make --safer to make sure the ground is connected before any of the power lines. I believe the 1339 one are correct for the power lines on all the connectors, including the three-pin version.

Excellent work compiling the list, though. I may wind up building my own J1772 charging system and if I do, I'll be studying your work extensively.

Good catch. I used 1339 for my project and didn't recall why. Likely saw the part where it said "for SBS 50, 75x & 75G (were as the model we are interested is 75x)

I updated the parts list with the correct number. Still haven't got a chance to measure the pins for 3 / 4 on the connector to confirm they are the 7.7mm are correct for those.
Pages: [1]