• March 29, 2024, 07:40:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Help building my first e motorcycle  (Read 1058 times)

joamanya

• View Profile
Help building my first e motorcycle
« on: May 01, 2015, 08:57:25 PM »

Hi, I´m going to build my first motorcycle, it frame come from a bycicle, so it will be quite light.

I would spect not more than 25mph or 40kmh, and a range at minimum of 25miles or 40km.

What I dont know is where could I buy a motor, which voltage should I use, I´ll sure use lipo batteryes.

Also I would likte to know what gearing relation use to have a good aceleration (not too much) but the top speed I wrote before.

Can some one help me? at least give me some advise?

Regards

joamanya

• View Profile
Re: Help building my first e motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 03:30:20 AM »

Hi, I´ve done a lot of math and now I know wich gears I´m going to use for getting those 25mph.

About the motor, is it possible that 350W is too small to reach that speed? Would some one recomend me another motor size?

Regards

BenS

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 11:16:16 AM »

The easiest way to do it is to buy a front or rear "electric hub kit", sold by many online e-bike shops, and they are quite cheap on ebay. The front kit is easier to fit. You can buy them with or without li-ion or lifepo4 batteries. I'm using two different brands of kit, both rated at 48v 1000w. Running on 14.4ah old li-ion laptop batteries, no pedaling on flat road, one kit peaks at about 27A, 1000w, and peaks at about 40kmh, but the other peaks at about 46A, 1.7kw and peaks at about 50kmh. I think the quicker one is made by "sun e-bike", but neither have clear branding on them. I bought them both on ebay. I've only used lipo's once, but the high discharge rate gave the full 27A on 8ah of batteries. I've only been playing around with these kits for a couple of weeks now, and I'll do some more experimenting with my rc lipo's. The 250w, 350w and 500w kits are cheaper. If you're travelling at 40kmh without pedaling the whole time, you'll probably need a pretty big battery, I'm guessing at least 20-25ah, to get 40km range. I'd say a 350w kit plus you pedaling will probably give you 30-35kmh, and 40km range on a 10-15ah battery. There are a few Youtube videos of people testing out their systems, and will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:02:26 PM by BenS »
2015 FX 5.7, DIY Electric "Jesse James" chopper bicycle, and DIY Electric 26" Lowrider bicycle. ('10 KTM 530exc, '06 GasGas EC250, '06 YZ450F, '06 GSXR1000.)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 08:20:58 PM »

Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 09:37:20 PM »

You want as much power as you can afford. While there are some cheap bicycle units on ebay, you usually get what you pay for.
Rather than electric bicycle, you can probably find electric scooters with similar watts but more robust. Golden Motor in Canada
has a wide range of offerings from bicycles all the way up to cars. IF you do decide to go with a bicycle motor, I would suggest
one of theirs. the CHEAP kits on ebay run around $200, the far superior Golden Motor "magic pie 4" is about double that. Might
be worth looking into. Where are you located? Here is the web site for golden motor.  http://www.goldenmotor.ca/
Pages: [1]