• March 28, 2024, 04:06:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: iPhone app problems  (Read 1379 times)

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
iPhone app problems
« on: April 30, 2015, 07:13:42 PM »

I've been trying for over 4 days now to get the Zero iPhone app to see my motorcycle, still no dice.  The Bluetooth pairing process works fine, but the app always comes up with the 'Connection Lost' / demo mode BS and never sees any bike data or writes Drive Setup changes.  I'm going to call Zero again today, but expectations are low.

I posted on the Tech Help forum, but I thought I'd try here too.  Any help would be appreciated.  It seems like the app is not linking with  Bluetooth.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
Re: iPhone app problems
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 04:43:43 AM »

I find that connectivity can be a bit hit and miss with my Android phone but it does eventually make a connection. I assume that when you are in the Zero app you can see the motorcycle with its unique ID. You should be able to toggle on and off the Auto Connect mode to try and make it reconnect. You also need to ensure that it is not in demo mode before you try to make the connection. When a connection exists you should see the Bluetooth icon on the dash go from flashing to permanently on.

Can you try another iPhone or an Android phone to see whether the problem is with your Zero or your phone/app?
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 07:01:59 AM »

Thanks very much for the info!

I tried something different today - I deleted the app from the phone, paired the phone to the bike, reinstalled the app and then ran it.  The 'Connection Lost' prompt immediately appeared again, despite the bike being shown as connected in both the iPhone Bluetooth screen and FX dash display (the phone was within 5 feet of the bike at all times).  I've never seen the bike's ID appear in the app, only in the iPhone Bluetooth screen.   I think the Android app handles the Bluetooth pairing, while the iPhone app has the phone do it.   I'm about 90% sure the problem is in the app and not the phone, although it might be in the bike for all I know.

I don't have access to an Android and rented an iPhone 5 just to use with the app, so I can't really swap out the phone.

I spoke to Nicholas at Zero tech support today, who's been helpful in the past. He told me he'd look into the problem and get back to me, including the strange Bluetooth ID my bike has.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

proximityproduct

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 01:09:31 AM »

I am also having the same problem connecting to my FX to my iphone. 

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 07:25:08 PM »

Since the application updated several months ago connecting from Android has been spotty. Connecting while charging is rarely accomplished. Changing key position to ON is only way it consistently connects.  Prior to the update is connected most reliably right after the Android app crashes and relaunches.

(I have not gotten the latest Andriod aand am at 4.1.2)

What Key positions are you trying?
What was the results from booting phone while in Bluetooth range and relaunch?

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »

I've tried using the On key position (not charging) and the Off position (charging).

I just tried going into the iPhone settings for the Zero app and disabling Cellular Data, thinking the app might be trying to connect to that instead of Bluetooth - no luck, I got a new error prompt and still no data.  I deleted the app, rebooted the phone, connected to Bluetooth, downloaded the app again - stil nothing.

It just seems like the app is not tapping into Bluetooth.  On the Android app this can be configured, which is probably why it seems only Android users are having any luck with the app.  A few days ago one guy at Zero told me "they'd be coming out with an app for the iPhone soon", which seemed strange as I had it open right in front of me.

At this point I'd be real happy with spotty. :)

Ray
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 10:23:29 PM by rayivers »

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 01:05:34 AM »

I connect okay with an Android phone, and it seems like my setting changes are updating the custom mode, but the phone does not correctly reflect the actual settings, ie, if I leave the setting menu and go back, everything shows default again. However, when I ride the bike and switch between modes, it does seem my settings were taken up by the bike....

Am I the only one with this problem? I don't see how it could be my phone, as the connection is okay, and if it is the app you'd think everyone would have the same problem...

kphonik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 10:41:04 PM »

My brand new 2015 FX is connecting but it's showing a 2013 FX in the app for some reason. Otherwise it seems to work ok on an iPhone 6.

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 09:21:43 PM »

After trading the iPhone 5 for a Samsung Galaxy S4, I got the Android app up and running.  During Bluetooth setup it showed the same bizarre multi-hyphenated ID (the guy at Zero had never heard of anything like it) and asked if I wanted to use the same 6-digit passcode as before, just like the Zero instructions (not).

At one point I mistakenly hit 'Reset Defaults' in the Drive Setup screen, and Custom mode defaulted to 86mph / 40% torque / 66% max regen / 100% regen brake.  I didn't write the original settings down, but I'm nearly certain they were 86mph / 100% / 40% / 60% so I'm guessing the original owner must have used the app at some point, or maybe the default settings have been changed in the latest app version.

I set it to 60mph / 100% / 0% / 0%, and will take it out in the dirt this afternoon to see how it runs.

It's cool to finally be on speaking terms with my bike. :)

Ray

acacia1731

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 07:37:43 AM »

My brand new 2015 FX is connecting but it's showing a 2013 FX in the app for some reason. Otherwise it seems to work ok on an iPhone 6.

I have the same issue with my iPhone 5S, 2015 FX is showing up as 2013.
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive
Pages: [1]