• April 27, 2024, 12:47:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Knowing full well that ChaDeMo does not work at all stations, what would you pay for ChaDeMo if it were available now?  In other words, who is ready to put their money where their mouth is?

$1,800
- 12 (50%)
$2,000
- 8 (33.3%)
$2,500
- 4 (16.7%)
$3,000
- 0 (0%)
$3,500
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Who wants ChaDeMo  (Read 7686 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Who wants ChaDeMo
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2015, 01:34:12 AM »

I think if you can fit 7k into a tank with a J1772 and a CHAdeMO that would be great.

The more I think about it, the more I think it would be a pretty nice solution. The power supplies I found would actually be a 6kW charging system, but for my 2014 SR 11.4, which is actually a 10kWh battery, that's 0% to 100% in 1h 40m, which isn't bad. Even the newer 12.5 bikes with power tank would recharge in a calculated 2h 17 m from completely depleted to fully charged.

There's also nothing stopping you from adding other connectors, so you could do like Ben does, recharge from 50A 220V outlets at camping grounds or wherever you find them. Or your own garage for that matter, if you need to recharge faster than overnight.

The one thing that's stopping me from pulling the trigger right now (I'd focus on just J1772 usage at first) is that I can't find the connector on the back of that power supply anywhere. I've contacted an FAE for TE Connectivity (which bought AMP, which originally made that connector), and he tells me they're a semi-custom part, so I might just not be able to source the mate and rig anything up.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2015, 02:24:59 AM »

I have a 14-50, j1772, 5-20, and 14-30 adaptor for my system. I use the 14-50 at home every day since I also made a C13 adapter as well :)

Can you just open the box up and wire your own pin out connector of choosing ?

Have you tested to see if all three would fit in your tank area plus the j1772?

Charging for an hour and fourty five minutes isn't too fun when you only get to ride an hour or less >_< I know, I have done it lol
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2015, 03:15:01 AM »

Can you just open the box up and wire your own pin out connector of choosing ?

Prolly, but I'd need to see inside the box to know for sure. If I decide to pull the trigger, that's the first thing I'll do...order one and give it a good look-over. At 55A, kludgy wiring isn't going to work for very long or for very well.

Have you tested to see if all three would fit in your tank area plus the j1772?

Nope. I have had the tank off, though, and the amount of space in there is pretty amazing. I'm not at all opposed to changing the shape a bit anyhow, I think the tank on the SR is really ugly. I've done a lot of fiberglass work and would enjoy making my own unique shape.

Charging for an hour and fourty five minutes isn't too fun when you only get to ride an hour or less >_< I know, I have done it lol

Better than having to charge eight hours/overnight after a single leg, though, isn't it? And it makes the lousy seat on the bike less of an issue...even with this seat, I think I could pretty easily do an hour on the bike, 1-1/2 hours off.

Also, as you said, stick some fairings on there and suddenly it's more of a 50:50 riding time:charging time ratio.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2015, 03:25:25 PM »

I did a test ride on a Zero S this week and it checks all the boxes except the ChaDeMo, which is a shame because my area(the Netherlands is almost fully covered).

So I wrote to Zero HQ and the mail got forwarded to Europe HQ which then proceeded to give me a call. They explained the reasons why they got out of ChaDeMo, one of the reasons they had to make several plugs for several countries.

Wasn't the idea of ChaDeMo that they only had one universal plug for both DC and AC? Kinda got the feeling that she didn't really knew she was talking about. Anyway I did the best I could to add a little pressure to the pro-ChaDeMo camp.

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2015, 05:23:30 PM »

CHAdeMO is DC-Only.

This allows it to be international because the charging station can receive the local AC power and convert it to DC at the levels requested by the EV.  If it also had to support AC charging, it would be subject to the local standards for AC power, which to support all of them on the EV side with the charger would increase costs.  CCS supports a single inlet on the EV for AC and DC, but because of that, there are different inlets depending on which continent the EV is to be sold on.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2015, 05:42:20 PM »

I meant that the vehicleside plug also can accept regular slow AC for the internal charger if I remember correctly.

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 07:08:29 PM »

Yes, the CCS inlet accepts whatever the local AC standard is on the same inlet.  That makes the CCS inlet that is installed by the manufacturer be of different physical composition depending on where the EV is sold.  Since CHAdeMO is DC-only, it does not have that component that differs by continent, but of course this also means that there is no AC component at all and the local AC charger on-board has to have its own separate inlet, see the front-mounted inlets of a Nissan LEAF SL as an example of this.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2015, 02:37:56 PM »

Yes I now see that I've misread the plug article on the ChaDeMo site.
But on the Zero it's not that big of a deal since the normal standard charger plug is very compact.

*continues to angrily wave fist in the general direction of California*

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2015, 05:44:33 PM »

Feel free to get on Facebook and tell Tony Williams (on the electric motorcycle owners group) that you are interested in CHAdeMO.   He is considering making CHAdeMO for Zeros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2015, 06:04:10 PM »

I'm not on Facebook but his email is on page 2 so I might drop him a message.

Just for the fun of it I planned my work route(250km) on plugshare and the following came up:

30 ChaDeMo chargers in a 10km radius, not bad at all.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 02:13:09 AM »

OK, I just got word from Tony Williams at QuickChargePower (www.QuickChargePower.com) that he will work on making a CHAdeMO adapter for Zero Motorcycles starting at the end of the summer if he has:

10 deposits of $1,000
1 bike to use to test the charger.  (He lives in San Diego)

The total price of the chargers will be $2,500 and he said that he may be able to set it up to work at all CHAdeMO stations, not just low voltage stations.  It will be a high quality product.  I bought a unique charging cord from him before and it is excellent. 

1)  Who would be willing to deposit $1,000 for a $2,500 CHAdeMO charging port?

2)  Who lives in San Diego, and can possibly let him use your bike in Sept for 1-2 months?  (We would all owe you a great debt of gratitude!)
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 04:16:52 AM »

Count me for a deposit. Thanks! This is exciting.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 06:02:08 AM »

Ben,

Yes, count me in. Vinny

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 06:32:41 AM »

I'm not ENTIRELY sure about spending $2500 on a system, but I am currently playing phone tag with Tony regarding using my bike for prototyping. I live in El Cajon (a suburb of San Diego) and have a 2014 SR. If we can work something out so I'm not without my baby for two months I'll probably allow him to use my bike.

And I may spring for the finished system, too. If he does a full-current solution, being able to recharge in an hour would be fantastic and really expand the capabilities of the bike.

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 06:44:17 AM »

If the $2.5k is including installation and support, I'll go in on a deposit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7