• April 25, 2024, 10:38:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New SR Owner -- What do you wish you knew right after you bought your first Zero  (Read 3584 times)

BikerJared

• View Profile

I picked it up on Saturday. Its the 2014 -- I was able to get it at a discount, as it was the last one the dealer had.

What do you wish you knew right after you bought your first Zero

Thanks!

m0t0-ryder

• View Profile

True range per charge.
Factory and non-factory accessories.

"Proper" tire pressure.
Quality tire replacement options.
Bolt/nut torque specs.
Hot and cold weather charging and riding data.

dkw12002

• View Profile

I always wish I knew specs and features of the next model year. Zero has a history of improvements that make the previous year technology and features look old. When they designed their own motor and replaced the brushed motor in 2012, that was a quantum leap. Same with range. 

Doug S

• View Profile

Zero apparently doesn't use any UV inhibitors in their plastic bodywork. Keep it out of the sun.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles

Explore Public Charging options when not needed - so you are practiced when they are needed.
Level 1 (NEMA 5-20R) normal outlet, if available is most often behind a panel... Scan FIRST to unlock.

BikerJared

• View Profile

True range per charge.

"Proper" tire pressure.
Bolt/nut torque specs.

For all of these items, what did you learn? Especially around true range and range related items.

Zero doesn't use UV inhibitors...

This is very very good to know. Has anybody tried painting over the plastic parts with black paint?

Explore Public Charging options when not needed - so you are practiced when they are needed.
Level 1 (NEMA 5-20R) normal outlet, if available is most often behind a panel... Scan FIRST to unlock.

What do you mean 'scan first to unlock'? Also, do you guys just google something like "charging stations" or something or are there other resources you use?

Also, these mirrors suck. Are there aftermarket options? What are your thoughts on windscreens? Finally, does anybody make or custom built a smaller back wheel sprocket for better range?

bigd

• View Profile

"Also, these mirrors suck. Are there aftermarket options?" If it is a vision problem, check Oobflyer's post. He added a nice looking extension.
Honda 1300VTX

Justin Andrews

• View Profile

What do you mean 'scan first to unlock'? Also, do you guys just google something like "charging stations" or something or are there other resources you use?

Most charging stations will unlock based on detecting an RFID tag. Some will open for any old Tag (No shit, true story; I've heard of a Library card being used by a Leaf owner)

Look for websites that list the status of the charging stations, for example Zap-Map is good if you are in the UK.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

xmjsilverx

• View Profile

Try www.plugshare.com for charging stations.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

m0t0-ryder

• View Profile

True range per charge.

"Proper" tire pressure.
Bolt/nut torque specs.

For all of these items, what did you learn? Especially around true range and range related items.

Also, these mirrors suck. Are there aftermarket options? What are your thoughts on windscreens? Finally, does anybody make or custom built a smaller back wheel sprocket for better range?

True Range -
This really depends on your riding style and terrain of riding.
- Extended fast highway speeds (70+ MPH) will deplete the battery level quicker.
- Stop and go riding will draw more power
- Aggressive riding will draw more power
- Hills will also draw more power.
- Headwinds can effect range (windscreens may help some here)
- rider weight will also come into play.
- rider riding position factors in (upright versus "streamlined/tucked")
- cold weather reduces the range

Proper tire pressure -
- initial /earlier manuals suggested tire pressure of 33PSI front and rear. This is (IMO) too low of pressure. I believe these numbers just rolled over from early Zero's and did not get updated as the wheels/tires changed in size. For the SR a better guide would be to follow the pressure used by sport bike riders. More like 38psi rear and 36psi front. More for heavier rider, two up or side/top bags with a load.

Quality tire replacements -
- While the rubber on the 2015 + models is much better than earlier years it is still a compromise of price/performance. There is another thread in this forum with good comments on alternatives that will give better performance and easier turn in.

Bolt/Nut Torque specs -
- Of importance here is the torque specs for the fork triple tree clamps, brake caliper and axle bolts. I had a nice torque spec sheet but it (with all my other notes) stayed at Zero when I left. I had recommended they (Zero) place this info on the FAQ page but now even that page appears to have been taken down. I would recommend contacting your dealer for a list of recommended torque specs. They should have access to this information on their Dealer access portal. It "should not" be considered proprietary info.

Hot/Cold weather data -
- There is a document that explains the hot and cold weather charging and riding limitations. Again... this "was" available on the Zero web page FAQ section but appears to have been taken down as I cannot find it there now. I would contact your dealer and ask if they can provide you a copy of this (one page) document. This is not secret/proprietary info and should be available to owners.

As for alternative mirrors...
I believe any after market mirrors made to fit the Yamaha motorcycle models should work on the Zero motorcycles. Just remember that the left mirror is reverse threaded.

BikerJared

• View Profile

Thanks for the responses. This is great info. Some of this should probably be in an FAQ and pinned. Particularly, the cold weather specs, torque specs, and tire pressure specs. I appreciate the info on range as well. I ride mostly freeway, (around 70 mph). I've noticed that the range estimator goes down a lot when I'm riding that fast. It seems like the bike is happiest at around 30-35 mph.

RickSteeb

• View Profile

... these mirrors suck. Are there aftermarket options? What are your thoughts on windscreens? Finally, does anybody make or custom built a smaller back wheel sprocket for better range?

I rotated my '14SR mirrors 180 degrees for better lane-splitting clearance...
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

Doug S

• View Profile

I rotated my '14SR mirrors 180 degrees for better lane-splitting clearance...

I did, too, and I think it works well. I like the bike being narrower (in CA I tend to split lanes in traffic a lot, and two extra inches' clearance is very nice). Having the wider part of the mirror on the outside end also makes for a better field of view. However, in the "correct" orientation, the tip does extend out a bit further, so you can see directly behind yourself better. But overall I like them upside-down a bit better.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

joystix2

• Electric Enthusiast
    • View Profile

I wish I knew the Factory settings numbers for ECO mode like Max Torque, Max Regen, Max Regen Brake. I know Sport has to be 100%. These numbers could be useful when using the app so I can adjust the Custom mode to somewhere in between ECO and Sport mode.
2014 Zero SR w/ extended Power Tank
Zero OEM Windshield
RAM Mount Cell Phone attachment
Bar Ends Rear View Mirrors

xmjsilverx

• View Profile

I am pretty sure eco mode is going to limit the power, at one point I couldn't go past 75pmh in eco.  Sport has very little max regen, not sure about the regen braking in sport though.  If you change your custom to max regen 100% and regen brake to 100%, you will notice it has way more regen/engine braking than either of the other 2 modes.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual
Pages: [1] 2 3