• April 26, 2024, 10:16:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Sevcon CanBus system  (Read 3126 times)

steven_first

• View Profile
Sevcon CanBus system
« on: April 22, 2015, 10:23:16 PM »

Short and sweet.  Can someone lay out the feasibility of reprogramming the sevcon speed controller in the 2015 Zero bikes?  I don't need to change anything now but some time down the line I would like to make a few changes to the bike.

So I couldn't find a place to dload the sevcon software to begin with but what all well be needed to have this done?  Are there passwords or "permissions" configured on the sevcons from Zero?  A write-up or video would be AMAZING!

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
Re: Sevcon CanBus system
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 11:40:45 PM »

To me it's one of those things if you have to ask, don't do it.    If you write a new dcf and something is a letter off things can go seriously wrong; plus when most bikes are turned on and run after programming it's on a Dyno to make sure all systems work.

Can it be done without a dyno yes but it's risky if you don't already know what you are doing
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:25:12 AM »

It's certainly feasible as there many on the forum who have done it.

You need an IXXAT USB to CAN Adaptor like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IXXAT-USB-to-CAN-compact-v1-01-0087-101-wbr-00-/151657752960 and an OBDII to DB9 adapter like the one from Easysync. I have a spare of each I am selling so PM or email me if you're interested.

There are no "amazing" videos that I am aware of but the guide at https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/images/DVT%20Tutorial.pdf will get you started on the process. Do some searches on this forum for Sevcon, IXXAT etc for changes people have made to their Zeros.

As you're probably aware making these changes will void your warranty.

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 03:34:48 AM »

To me it's one of those things if you have to ask, don't do it.    If you write a new dcf and something is a letter off things can go seriously wrong; plus when most bikes are turned on and run after programming it's on a Dyno to make sure all systems work.

Can it be done without a dyno yes but it's risky if you don't already know what you are doing

Thanks for the thoughts and I guess I may sound clueless on this but I just never messed with canbus before but I am by no means a slouch in the maters of reprogramming or "hacking" stuff.  I just don't want to buy the canbus stuff just to find out that it is password protected.  I am a electronics technician through and through just never did canbus before.  I2C or SPI I got you covered!

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 05:56:48 AM »

If you want to do it, you need the OLD version of the IXXAT CAN USB cable + some older DVT software. The new ones only work with software that requires a key, which is only given out by sevcon, and follows your computer.

You would need a 1.01.0087.XXXXX (DB9) or the 1.01.0088.XXXXX (RJ45). The 1.01.028X.XXXXX require the new DVT and a key from Sevcon.

They can be hard to find, so if you want to ever be able to tinker with your Sevcon, get that USB adapter on ebay right now..... they don't come around often, and when they do, they're scooped up by users on this forum and endless-sphere.
Travis

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 07:47:16 PM »

Why is this stuff so hard to get?  Is it because Sevcon is not a end user company (sell to public) and thus purchasing equipment is not easy or is it because there is a tight leash on the equipment? I can understand not wanting something as simple as a USB port but this seems a little bit much.  Those IXXAT systems are not cheap!

m0t0-ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 08:38:43 PM »

You would also need the software used to access and perform changes to the Sevcon Controller.

The primary reason this access is controlled is because it is possible to make changes that would cause dire consequences to the motor operation. Such as over RMP, excessive heat, running backwards and others.
The liability factors behind this potential are a fear point for manufacturers like Sevcon and Zero.

Also, as for availability... The IXXAT devices were manufactured in a limited quantity.
Now that they have changed models/operational parameters the original (no longer produced) models have become much more in demand and as such... much more valuable.

The new IXXAT devices will not be compatible with the older systems.

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 08:48:34 AM »

The new IXXAT devices will not be compatible with the older systems.

While I agree with most of what you said, the above statement is misleading.

The NEW IXXAT cables will work just fine with NEW Sevcon software and are fully compatible with old/new Sevcon hardware. The issue is, you have to be an OEM/Distributor/buddy buddy with someone at Sevcon to get the software and a custom key, which is keyed to your machine.
Travis

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 11:09:51 PM »

Yes, I could see some serious damage being done by someone who didn't know what they were doing that is for sure.  That being said, I work on repairing big expensive automated machines all day long and for virtually every one of them they don't officially give out the "service" passwords for them.  It only takes about 1 week of owning one of these machines before you need to call support and they have to give you the password to log into the service level side of the machine to fix something. Manufactures are always worried that you will do something stupid...and it can be the case but not every time and not with every customer.  My bike can do 85MPH and that can be just as damaging to the bike and myself as "reprogramming" the speed controller so why does my bike do 85 then?  ::)

With the app I am surprised that they don't have more settings and that the settings you can set are so arbitrary.  The FX is a dirt bike and I want to be able to drive it like one.  I was disappointed when I found that the 0% torque setting was something like 50% of actual torque and that the speed limiter has a lower speed of 60 MPH rather than say 25 or even 45.  My point is that if the settings to change these values were accessible to the customer people like me wouldn't be needing CanBus adapters and all that shiznit.

When I get my CanBus adapter I will try to do a writeup on how to work with the system for those who would like to try.         

m0t0-ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 05:35:58 AM »

I agree that the phone app could/should be improved for more flexibility.
I recommended this many times to the app engineers. Specifically offering lower top speed settings. This would allow the owner the comfort of letting someone test ride their bike and know that they can restrict the top speed to oh, say 25mph.

Your bike does 85 because the controller is programmed not to exceed 6000RPM. The motor can most likely handle a higher top RPM than that but Zero engineering determined that they would limit top RPM to 6000. This is to prevent overheating and possible damage to the motor itself.
This (as well as others) is the type parameter that the engineers do not want folks messing with.
Pages: [1]