• April 25, 2024, 08:22:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2015 SR Instrument Panel, wherefore art thou?  (Read 1504 times)

JasonS

• View Profile
2015 SR Instrument Panel, wherefore art thou?
« on: April 22, 2015, 07:54:02 AM »

Hi,

A new development in the ongoing saga of early-adopter-hood.  Ok, that may be a bit over the top, but hey!  I'm seeing a string of niggles here.

Oh, and by early adopter, I mean it in both senses - EV, and brand new model year.  I know I wouldn't have much cred going on the EV claim alone...

This last Friday I got caught in rain slightly worse than usual.  How much worse?  My clothes got a bit wet.  Even through my Aerostich.

The bike seemed to handle it fine at the time. 

However, the next day (about 18 hours later, roughly) it had only picked up about a 10% charge (from ~35% to ~45%).  That was odd.  Never had that happen before.  Glad I didn't have to go to work that morning.  I'da had to ride the BMW instead!  Even odder, when I unplugged it, it dropped from showing ~45% to about ~35%.  Hm... Ok.  Maybe I didn't plug it in fully.  Or some moisture was in the plug.  Or in the bike's brain.  Or something. 

I moved the bike to the other side of my garage so I could get on with the steering head bearing adjustment I wanted to do.  Bike turned on Ok, powered up the drive ok, etc.

...wrench wrench, jack jack, screw screw...

When I went to move the bike back, it wouldn't fully power on.  Was throwing codes 25 & 49  (Contactor Open Warning, and Contactor Open Disable).   Great. 

Rolled it back the hard way, and plugged it in.  (Dunno if I posted it, but about a month or so ago, I had a similar problem. More below.)  Maybe tomorrow (i.e., Sunday) will be a better day.

Sunday, it was fully charged, and ready to play again.  No codes.

Monday it was fine all day - I rode to work and back.

Tuesday (today) I rode it to work as usual, but...

When it came time to come home, the bike worked fine, but THE INSTRUMENT PANEL WAS NON-INFORMATIVE.   It lit up (nice blue backlight) but no information was being displayed.  The little indicators just below the LCD were fine, but the LCD? Zip, squat, nada.  Just a painted-on icon resembling a battery (an empty one at that), an empty box, and a flat line...  I hope THAT's not a clue...  It was working this AM... I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing you guys and gals ALSO compulsively check your state-of-charge before you even grab your helmet... And it's not just the bike's fault - twice I've forgotten to plug it in, once I plugged it in, but it wasn't fully seated, or I kicked the cord out. Or something.

Anyway, I'd have noticed right away if the panel didn't work.  As I did tonight.  Crap.  Well, let's see... 12v system appears to be good.   Yep.  Lights, blinkers.  Let's try traction.. Yep, it's rideable. 

So, I rode home with NO idea how much power I had left, and no idea how fast I was going.  The former was actually kinda liberating.  I was confident I could make it home with no issues (as long as nothing new went wrong), and I didn't spend the whole trip calculating how many miles per 1% of batter charge I was getting (always less than 1 on the highway).   C'mon, you do it too... At least if you're decent at math, you do!  The latter (speed) was really no big deal - traffic always decides that for me anyway.

Well, now, how to fix it - I don't think any of the fuses control that.  I know that panel isn't powered by 12V (except the backlight) because when my DC-DC converter when kaput, that panel still worked (minus the backlight).  So, those fuses are ruled out.  And the other fuses on the bike... None seem likely.

Some folks make a connection between water and panel failure, but that doesn't strike me as likely in this case, only slightly more likely than some random 'MTBF exceeded.'  I mean, yes, I got a good rain Friday, and possibly some fallout from it, but the panel seemed fine, right up until it didn't.  Not the normal sequence of panel failure (sometimes being unique isn't a good thing!)

Any ideas?  So far turning off and back on hasn't done any good.  Resetting the monolith didn't do any good (not that I expected it to).  Sadly coming to suspect that I may have to haul it back to Austin.  I hope it doesn't mean doing without for another three weeks.

Oh. Here's "below" from above:
About a month or so ago
- I need to dig up an actual date or mileage - I got stranded at work when the bike decided to throw the Monolith Not Connected code. 

After getting a ride home, letting the bike charge in work's garage overnight, several calls with Zero customer support, and several attempts at resetting the monolith (the big battery pack), it finally came back to life.  Since then the problem hasn't come up.  The last thing I tried was simultaneously pushing and holding both buttons on the monolith for about five or ten seconds (bike must be switched off and unplugged, if you ever try it, per customer support - though they only had me try one.  The design apparently changed recently, and the guy I spoke with didn't even know there were two buttons accessible.  That's what I mean by early adopter, yo!)

(Oh, and the friend who gave me the ride home? He had the misfortune to do $1,800 in damage to his car by backing into a pole in the parking garage while helping me.  Doh and double-Doh!)

Haven't seen the 56 (monolith not connected) code since then, but my 25&49 codes may be cousins to it.

Feeling a bit sad about the bike at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:15:53 PM by JasonS »
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

JasonS

• View Profile
Re: 2015 SR Instrument Panel, wherefore art thou?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:12:14 AM »

Image of Panel for above post
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

CScalpeL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:15:54 AM »

Is the Bluetooth connection working? Your smartphone can be a surrogate for the instrument panel until the panel gets fixed to keep you riding and might help diagnose the source of the problem, depending on if it is working properly and if you are getting reliable readings...

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 10:28:29 AM »

I am guessing the micro controller in the dash has lost power or its clock or loose connection.
Fuse 6, 5A Dash, Running Lights may need checking.

should be just case of dealer swapping out the dash.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:35:22 AM by firepower »

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 04:53:37 PM »

I had my dash fail like this after having the bike on an open trailer in the rain.

If you open the display you will most likely find that water has gotten inside.

Zero were very good and provided me with a replacement dash for free. I would contact your dealer and they should follow up with Zero about a replacement.

Hopefully Zero will seal the displays a little better in the future because on my 2014 there was only a small line of rubber to prevent ingress and it's not sufficient to handle riding at speed in the rain.

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 06:15:03 PM »

Hi,
Yes, the bluetooth is still working.  Which will allow me to check if the odometer still keeps track of mileage in this state, among a few other things.

I'll check that fuse, but I don't have much hope - I think the dash light is the part of the dash that fuse affects, and the backlight is fine.  My running light (above headlight) is working fine.

DGH853: Didn't your panel go pft immediately after getting rained on?  I read your posting on this topic, and the details there are what made me think mine may not be rain-related.  I rode 75miles - Monday and half Tuesday - with no problems after that dousing.  Sorry for the misdirection: I originally wrote "Monday (today)..."  I was confused.  It was "(today)", but that was on Tuesday.  I'll go back and edit that post.

2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 02:55:10 AM »

I can't say immediately as I had the bike on the back of a trailer in the rain and I would have rolled it off and into the garage without turning it on. The next time I turned the bike on - perhaps the next day - was when I had the blank blue display.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 04:40:36 AM »

I see... Interesting.

I spoke with the dealer today, and it was suggested blowing out the connector on the panel may help.  I *think* on mine, there is no connector on the display (I didn't notice one, but really, I was looking for fuses) - so I'll have to dig in a bit to find where the cable from the display connects to...whatever it connects to. 

Not holding on to much hope for that one, but it may save me a trip or two to Austin, so...
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 05:19:15 AM »

I would still get it replaced, if it happened once it happen again, and corrosion once started will just keep happaning.
Zero really needs to make sure the electrics are sealed.
All my motorbikes have never had problem with rain storms or being hosed clean.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 02:07:12 PM »

All my motorbikes have never had problem with rain storms or being hosed clean.

:o Said no Suzuki owner ever, if so, then you are a lucky SOB, as every single Suzuki I've ever owned (about 5) used to go wrong in severe rain storms.  ::)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 05:35:32 PM »

My 2002 Suzuki SV650S has had no problems with rain for the last 13 years. And couple of years of that was a 75km commute each way daily in all weather.
my 2 previous bikes were honda XL350R and XL185S, also not afraid of water :) not that they didnt have electrical faults, just none from water.
I think i am more hydrophobia when it rains, off road tires in the wet don't give you any confidence. quickly changed over to roads tires for commuting :)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:38:49 PM by firepower »

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 05:24:47 AM »

AF1 got the new instrument panel in from the factory last weekend but I wasn't able to get the bike out to them until today (The following Saturday).

They had me scheduled for 10am, knowing that I hoped to drop the bike off and pick it up later the same day for the drive back to Houston, and everything went smooth as silk.  They were done working on it about 90 minutes after I left the shop, and I was back home by about 4pm.

They also checked and torqued the steering head for me.  Checked the error logs, etc.

New panel is working fine so far. Yay!

I'd had a number of isolation faults, which he said were probably a result of riding in the rain.  None of them were serious enough to cause any  problems, but I do think that Zero should take their bikes on a trip to some other part of the country... They need to get a grasp for the kind of weather non-Californians consider normal.  They also showed some kind of event indicating a low charge (possibly just one cell?) that coincided with some odd throttle behavior I experienced Thursday. (Acted like it was hot, or low SOC - 'opening' the throttle didn't provide the normal thrust.)

All things considered, a very productive day :)

Now if I can just figure out why my BMW's throttle grip is sticking... (other than the obvious - disuse!)
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX
Pages: [1]