• April 26, 2024, 02:34:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: First real ride, first post  (Read 969 times)

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
First real ride, first post
« on: April 11, 2015, 07:55:10 PM »

Just got a 2014 Zero S with power tank, a demo bike with 2k miles, got a great deal (they threw in the power tank for free!) and just did a 82 mile ride with some great twisty roads... got home with 24% battery left! https://goo.gl/maps/rHCUK

But in the twisties it really opened my eyes as to how much I depend on engine braking on my other bikes. With zero throttle you're almost coasting in sport mode, and entering downhill turns it's like you're in neutral, no engine braking. So riding like I normally ride, I was going into turns a bit hot... and then the braking regen was jerking the bike, so it was hard for me to feather the brake smoothly entering corners when that would kick in. I was not pushing the pace, just getting used to the bike... thankfully!

Normally in those situations I'd have my bikes in the upper RPM range and get plenty of braking when off throttle... not so with the zero. So going to try to set it to max engine regen, no brake regen (max torque, of course!) Anyone tried this?

Lack of fork rake and short wheelbase makes the bike super responsive and the upright seating and short rake makes the bike feel toy-like (in a good way). That alone was just as different as the engine (recent bikes include a Honda 919 and a 1981 cx500).  The bike seems stable at 60-70 mph on the open road but wondering if this geometry might lead to head shake at track speeds. I am hoping to do some trackdays this year (bike would be awesome for Thunderhill west or Sonoma). Anyone up for a Zero trackday in N. California? I have done 5 trackdays but still riding in C group and consider myself a beginner on the track.

I did have an issue when I rolled off in the morning. I think I turned the key to the on position while the bike was rolling (down a sloped driveway) and the entire LCD panel started flashing. Turned it off and on with the key while stopped and it came back up normal, no problems since. So is this a normal warning? I confused it by turning the key while rolling it?

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: First real ride, first post
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 12:41:43 AM »

Lack of fork rake and short wheelbase makes the bike super responsive

Don't also forget there is a lack of centrifugal forces from the crankshaft / flywheel / gearbox as well, which helps improve responsiveness.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900
Pages: [1]