• March 28, 2024, 11:22:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zero-S Motor upgrade spotted in the Wild  (Read 2706 times)

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Zero-S Motor upgrade spotted in the Wild
« on: April 08, 2015, 05:02:33 PM »

While I was picking up my bike from my Dealer, I spotted a 2012 Zero-S ZF9 which has received the fabled motor upgrade and was awaiting collection.

Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: Zero-S Motor upgrade spotted in the Wild
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 05:30:28 PM »

Do we know whose bike that is? If the performance is equivalent to or better than the Motenergy I will make some enquiries.

It would be rude not to do a size 6 upgrade though and then it gets expensive!

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 05:37:43 PM »

Sadly the owner was not about...
I know its not my old one either.

Hopefully the owner is on this forum, recognises their bike and lets us know about it.

I seem to recall that Dr Bass did a similar mod on his 2012.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 10:36:48 PM »

Congrat for your new zero Justin!

If it is possible form you i  would love to get the dcf file fron your controller!!

I,m having hard tome to Calibrate mine with the new motor! My motor have cut out when accelerating.

It would only requier to ssbring the bike to one of your dealer  and get the nike ,connected to the interface and save the file. I could send yous the procedure xif your dealer dont know how.

I would be glad to pay you to get these info

Thanks

Doc.

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile
https://youtu.be/iVMPBnfhukM
T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 05:03:45 AM »

I think you misunderstood me Doc, the one above is not my bike, I'm still riding my yellow 2013 Zero-S, I just happened to spot the modified 2012 while I was at my dealers.

Sorry for the confusion. 
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

mikeisted

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 12:19:04 PM »

This was at Streetbike?  Not mine, but I would be very interested to find out more.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 12:40:31 PM »

Yep Streetbike, there are about a dozen or so of the ZF9's in the UK as far as I'm aware.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

woke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 03:52:02 PM »

This is my bike, which I brought with me from Canada to the UK last summer.  I'm spending 3 years here in the UK for my work.  The bike had been used as a demo bike and I bought it in Ottawa with 2000 miles on the odometer just before moving.  Unfortunately, I have suffered from the 'glitch' ever since.  Following installation of the 2 recalls last fall, Zero told me that my motor needed to be replaced.  Despite only 2500 miles on the odometer, Zero charged me 900GBP plus labour for the motor, which they describe as 'more than reasonable.'  I don't agree.

I picked my bike up yesterday and drove it the 98 miles home to Lincoln.  I found it to be a bit louder, but otherwise behaved very well.  The performance seemed to be slower, which is hard to quantify, except at top speed.  In both Eco and Sport mode, I couldn't get it over 70mph on level ground (full throttle).  As Zero have told me next to nothing about the motor, other than being a newly developed for the 2012 bike, based on the 2013 hybrid design, I don't know if this as expected.  Seeing as the bike is rated to 88mph, I see this as a major fault or deficiency.  I'll ride it a bit more today and ask Streetbike to inquire with Zero.

I have reported the problems with the motor as a safety recall to VOSA.  No response from them yet.  Seeing as their first two recalls didn't resolve this safety defect, I don't see why a 3rd recall shouldn't be issued for the motor.  I would also like to get an article in Green Car Reports or a motorcycle magazine about Zero's lack of support of their problematic old bikes, but even with the good work that some people have done on this forum, I think it would be hard to provide accurate statistics on what percentage of the 2012s have the glitch and require a motor replacement.

Wesley

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »

Definitely a case for warranty 2 years when purchased, and at least good will from Zero seeing they failed to fix recalls. How long were you without the bike when they did recalls?

"2012 S/DS & XU WARRANTY INFORMATION

ZERO MOTORCYCLES WARRANTIES
Zero Motorcycles Inc. expressly warrants all 2012 Zero manufactured S, DS and XU models from defects in material and workmanship to the original owner under normal operating conditions and according to proper use for 2 years (unlimited miles) from the “In Service Date” which is the date your Zero Motorcycle dealer performed a pre-delivery inspection on the Zero, (P.D.I).date of delivery. These warranties are transferrable subject to a $50 processing fee and a new registration card to subsequent owners.
STANDARD WARRANTY:
The standard warranty covers parts, standard shipping and labor for all major components, defined herein as including the motor, motor controller, power pack, frame, swing arm, fork, rear shock, brake assemblies, wheels, and electrical sub-assemblies. This warranty covers Zero manufactured accessories installed at the time of purchase."

regarding motor speed It may be because the motor is expecting 100V but only getting 65V, they should have upgraded your batteries too.

The "powertrains-sales-sheets.pdf"

-for the 2012 says Nominal 65.7V and Maximum 74.7V

-for the 2013 says Nominal 102.2V and Maximum 116.2V
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:12:47 PM by firepower »

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 07:29:18 PM »

Firepower, your assuming its a straight ZF Motor from the 2013-2015 line, and not one that's been rewound for 65V however.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 08:04:42 PM »

IIRC the 2012 motor is more efficient at low speeds, with the new 75-X being designed for higher speed efficiency.  Maybe that explains the sluggish performance?  Although not the lack of top speed.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 08:40:44 PM »

Yes, Zero is doing a quick fix, doubt they invest in another motor model. They have not confirmed or denied what this motor is. "As Zero have told me next to nothing about the motor"
They should release the specs, especially if your paying 900GBP for it. You want it to be equal or better then motor it replaces.

speed ratio difference 1.26
voltage ratio difference 1.55
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:50:58 PM by firepower »

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 09:02:06 PM »

Firepower, your assuming its a straight ZF Motor from the 2013-2015 line, and not one that's been rewound for 65V however.

If the 75 motor wasn't rewound - ie they pulled a stock 75-7 or more likely 75-5 off the shelf - I would expect it to have significantly more torque at low RPM but a lower top speed. Possibly could be compensated for by installing a larger front sprocket.

If it was rewound for similar torque as the 2012 ME motor, then I would expect it to have a similar or slightly higher top speed, a higher sustained top speed and better range at highway speeds.

75-5 stock motor has 70 ft-lb. Stock 2012 ME motor has 40 ft-lb.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

woke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 09:26:04 PM »

The bike isn't under warranty because for demo bikes, the warranty is deemed to start on delivery of the bike to the dealer, which was around May 2012.
If when I get any more info on the motor specs or the performance, I'll pass it along.

mikeisted

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 04:23:59 AM »

And just checking the battery case was waterproofed when the motor was replaced....
Pages: [1] 2