• March 29, 2024, 07:48:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zero SR as very first bike  (Read 6425 times)

kodek

• View Profile
Zero SR as very first bike
« on: March 25, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »

Hi everyone,

I learned about the Zero bikes a few months ago, and I've been obsessed ever since. I signed up for a motorcycle safety class this weekend, and I'm very excited to start riding :)

I was wondering what your opinions were on starting out with a Zero SR. While I like the entire Zero line-up, I feel that if I commit to purchasing an electric motorcycle, I will shortly after regret not having gone with the top-of-the-line bike. Although I am not looking to commute on the bike at first, I'd like to leave that open as a possibility; the lower end bikes don't have the range for my long commute. On the other hand, I feel that a complete beginner with a $20k bike in LA traffic is a recipe for disaster (even if I use the torque limiting functionality).

What do you guys think?

Thank you!

Falco

• View Profile
Re: Zero SR as very first bike
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 11:54:10 AM »

I personally think the zero sr is the perfect beginner bike. Its one of the easiest safest bikes to ride and will have enough power to keep you very happy as your riding skills develop. No need to trade it in for more power later, which is what petrol bike riding is like.

Spenny818

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »

I got a Zero S 11.4 as my first bike, for this exact reason (SR wasn't available yet). I didn't want to buy a 250 and be tired of it in a month, then be looking for something else. I wanted to buy something that would last me a while. I rode for about the first 2 months with the bike limited to 40% (which is still plenty fast for a beginner), and then increased the power as I became more confident of a rider. I still haven't had the opportunity to ride the SR, but going into my second season I couldn't be happier with the S, and I don't see myself getting bored of it anytime soon.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »

It would be a great first bike except for the fact you are likely to drop the first bike...almost guaranteed during the first year. Although the fantastic throttle control will help avoid some of those slow speed maneuvering problems in parking lots, there are still a lot of things that can go wrong...hitting the front brake in a very slow speed turn, not getting the kick stand all the way down, balance issues, putting your foot down on loose sand, just moving the bike by hand, etc. etc. Usually, the first bike should be a used bike like a Ninja or CBR 250. They are cheap, easily repaired, and hold their value. There are also a lot of almost new bikes for sale where someone decided after a short time that riding was not for them. I'd go for a cheap, beater bike.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 06:57:44 PM »

My first response, as a 14-month SR owner, was that the SR would be a great first bike. Electrics are so much easier to operate, so much smoother and predictable overall, that you don't have nearly as many skills to learn as you would on an ICE bike. The power of the SR isn't a problem -- there's no rule that you have to twist the throttle all the way to the stop.

But dkw makes a great point. Until you become truly facile with a motorcycle, your odds of dropping the bike are pretty high, almost invariably at low speed rather than high speed -- speaking for myself, I dropped my first bike twice before I became really confident on it. Motorcycles are like bicycles in that they're quite stable once you're up to speed, with the steering geometry working for you and the wheels contributing gyroscopic inertia, but they can be a handful at low speeds where you don't have either advantage. A truly skilled rider can wait his turn at a stop sign at very low speeds without putting a foot down or wobbling from side to side. That kind of skill takes a while to develop.

After thinking it through, I think I'm going to have to side with dkw. You really ought to think hard about learning on a less expensive, lighter, more agile machine, and look at it as an opportunity to see what becomes available in 2016, as your riding skills are developing. There's good reason bikes like that are considered beginner bikes.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

roma258

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 07:40:33 PM »

Dropping close to $20k on your first bike is a bad idea, no matter how easy it is to ride. Get something cheap that you won't worry about dropping, learn the basic functions and if you get bored, move on. Also, the idea that you're going to want to keep your first bike for a long time is far from guaranteed. Maybe you will, maybe you'll want to try something else, but now you're stuck with a bike that's probably depreciated pretty substantially. If your current bike lust is strong, it could mean your future bike lust (for a different bike model) could be just as strong. Take your time.

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 07:54:12 PM »

I got a used CBR 250 as my first bike and sold it half a year later for the same price.  During that time, I practiced slow speed maneuvers in empty parking lots almost every time I rode it, knowing that it was OK to drop it, and I did a few times.  I'm glad I did.  Plus, you'll really like the feel of your Zero once you switch!

That being said though, the Zero handles very differently than an ICE bike at low speed so you'll have to readjust, but you'll get used to it quickly.
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 08:15:11 PM »

Fx or xu maybe as first bike

Sr no way

No one mentioned whiskey throttle.... Much much easier to loose an electric bike than a gas bike; especially as a novice rider, I watched my brother break his ribs first time he got I my 22
2012 mx

The fx will take the "lay" down much better than the heavy sr, s or ds.
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 08:21:07 PM »

I concur with most of the posts above.  Go light, cheap and IC until you get your riding legs under you.  After a year or two or riding you will have enough experience to decide what is the best vehicle for you in the future.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

teddillard

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »

I signed up for a motorcycle safety class this weekend, ...

You beat me to it.   :D

Single most important decision, regardless of what you ride.  So many guys who are coming at it as electric motorcycle enthusiasts, rather than motorcycle enthusiasts, seem to miss this part.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:43:34 PM by teddillard »

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »

You'll love it and will grow into it as a rider.  With the eco and custom modes you can take it easy and carefully to begin with, then gradually work your way into the power.  You won't need to deal with buying and selling other bikes, so long as you keep this one safe and upright.  Find some old riders who seem overly safe and do exactly what they tell you to. 
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Bueller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 12:25:42 AM »

First post! I've been stalking here for a while. Here's my 2 cents... If you are flush with cash and can afford an SR as your first bike, GO FOR IT! You will probably be able to afford to replace bent and broken pieces when you dump it. If you are going to be financing this bike for 10 years and making minimum payments, you may want to consider going the inexpensive ICE bike route and waiting. I hear big changes are coming with the 2016's. It could be beneficial to wait and see. 

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 12:34:54 AM »

I think it is possible to start with an SR but I would still listen to the caveats listed above. I myself returned to motorcycling last year after a 30 year hiatus. My strategy was to start with something easy to ride so I bought a scooter to get the feel of two wheels. Just being out in traffic again on a motorbike took a while to get used to. Once I got my legs under me I pulled the trigger on the SR. Did I ever drop the scooter? Yep - low speed turn on a steep driveway. Fortunately no real damage except for the extreme embarrassment and the difficulty in picking up a 420 lb scooter on a slope. As soon as I got the SR I practiced low speed maneuvering as much as I could - a lot of it at the local DMV after hours where I ran the motorcycle test course over and over again until it got it perfect every time. I still go back occasionally to zig-zag the cones and do the tight circle - it's fun to whip through it now. For those of you that haven't done that for a while I would advise trying it to see how you do. My SR is just about at steering lock in the circle so there's not much room for correction if you get off line. I must say though that an electric bike is VERY easy to modulate at low speeds so in that respect it can be a great beginner bike.

If you do go for the Zero straightaway you need to practice, practice, practice in a safe area. This is obvious but you have to be very careful in full power mode - you will use it and soon - it's inevitable. As Cortezdtv mentioned above, whiskey throttle on an SR in Sport Mode would not be pretty. Take the safety course, watch riding tutorials on YouTube, learn about countersteering, talk to other riders - do everything you can to add to your knowledge and experience. There is no substitute for seat time in all conditions. Take baby steps. There is a tight turn near my house that I was terrified to take at more than 30 mph when I first got my SR. I now take it at 36-37 mph but I worked up to that very slowly over 3 months time. Above all, ride well within your limits and stay under control. Going beyond what you are capable of can put you on the ground or off the road or worse in a split second. Don't ask me how I know. And ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time). This is a personal choice but I firmly believe in it. Good luck with whatever you choose.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:26:38 AM by MichaelJohn »
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

Chocula

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 02:16:58 AM »

Have you considered a used Enertia which can be had for around $3000 off craigslist or ebay.  An older Zero might be a good choice as well, depending on what is available.  This will still get you an electric, but won't hurt so much when it gets its first scratch.  Also, they tend to be a bit more modest in performance which might keep you out of trouble while you are still learning.

An advantage to a small ICE bike is you will learn how to use the clutch and it will be similar to what you use in a skills class.  Don't think of it as you are going to outgrow it, think of it as you get to sell the one you just put a bunch of scratches in for almost the same price you paid.  The reason you hear people saying you will probably drop your first bike is because we ALL dropped ours a few times when learning.

kodek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 05:31:05 AM »

I hear big changes are coming with the 2016's. It could be beneficial to wait and see.

I know it's probably rumors, but has anything semi-official been said? I'd love to wait, but as far as I know, the 2015s were released in December, and I wouldn't want to wait that long. :)
Pages: [1] 2