• April 26, 2024, 06:54:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero demographics  (Read 1683 times)

francesco

• View Profile
Zero demographics
« on: March 21, 2015, 09:09:30 PM »

Inspired by a few (?) posts raising concerns about Zero reliability, I've setup a survey for Zero owners:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11R6MQTB4p8s7xGEKrwTEsIigJCayqZ9zUuuwA5X95FE/viewform

This should give us a more quantitative estimation of how Zeros are doing.
Please take the time (<1 minute) to answer even if you never had issues, so that we can limit the selection bias.
The link to the results appears once you submit the form.

If we collect enough statistics we will also be able to look at correlations wrt production year, location, etc...

Here are the results: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11R6MQTB4p8s7xGEKrwTEsIigJCayqZ9zUuuwA5X95FE/viewanalytics
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:30:45 AM by francesco »

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Zero demographics
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 09:39:24 PM »

Good idea. Data is more useful than anecdotes.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:09:11 PM »

All the Zero 2012 models aren't listed in the survey. XU?

For the last question (how was it repaired) it's really only allowing an answer for one breakdown. Some of us have had multiple breakdowns. I"d also need to put three four answers in "Other" for "Issues Occurred". (Apart from ticking "BMS failure" and "throttle failure".)

There are sampling design problems with your approach.  How do you sample folks who've simply given up on their Zero and left this forum, for starters. What you're collecting is a nice idea, and it's better than nothing - so thanks for this. But the results will be biased, and we won't really know which way the bias goes.

Aren't there records kept by a government agency on the number of motorcycles that need warranty work each year? Could that be informative? [ A minor aside - I recall seeing something about when Bloor Triumphs started up, they had the lowest rate of warranty work of any manufacturer (in some country, I guess). In that case, it was specifically to address the problem from the latter years of the Meriden Triumphs that they came out of the factory built badly.]

Peter

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 10:40:17 AM »

Francesco, the results should be interesting.

Maybe the survey should be modified or expanded.
I agree with Peter as the final question offers only one response when two or more would fit.
For ‘How was it repaired’,  I selected “not repaired yet (still)”. A better response for my situation would be - Dealer unable to repair.  Why - That’s a story for another time.

The story revolves around rear braking. The bike is still ride-able. New rear pads to arrive this Monday which I expect to install on Tuesday.

mikeisted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 01:27:46 PM »

Responded.  It may be useful to break out ' Other' (issues) into further specific categories at some stage.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 02:57:20 PM »

It would also be useful to read the results regardless of having responded.

Having filled out the survey, I cannot now go back to the page and look at the evolving results, as I would have to fill out the form again (this skewing the results)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 07:17:32 PM »

I would like to recommend that this be "stickied" to the top of the forum that way enough people with data can be found for real demographics.  This thread could get buried real fast!

francesco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 08:29:50 AM »

I'm a bit surprised to see that almost everybody had at least a few days of troubles.

As pointed out, there are selection biases, but still I find this information valuable.

As soon as I have some time, I'll try to squeeze some information from the survey..for example, whether or not the incidence of troubles decreased with the newer models.
Meanwhile, I hope more owners will fill the form.

p.s. how does the thread get "stickied" to the top of the forum? Do we need an admin to do it?

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 06:47:17 PM »

So to bump this -

I can't fill in this survey because it doesn't include all the models made over the time that the survey ostensibly covers. 2012 or <2012 includes other models, like the XU. It's not fair on the FX to lump XUs with FXs as the FX may be more reliable. There were also 2013 XUs, and at least one brand new example is still advertised for sale - http://10768.motorcyclesforless.net/s/15690066/2/10624214/257

So I can't fill in the survey until you fix this.

Re my previous comments on this thread - when "Other" is the most-answered category, it suggests you've missed some common(ish) problems in your list of options.

Peter

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 09:37:04 PM »

Is it really that bad?  I understand there's still probably selection bias, but only one third with no issues and lots of bikes indicating weeks or months off the road?

I've test ridden a Zero S and SR and am strongly considering replacing my ICE commuter bike with an SR.  I can't do it if the reliability is not there.  I can work something out for a day or two for repair, but since a bike is my sole means of transportation, can't commit to something that's likely to leave me stranded for long stretches.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 07:40:48 AM »

domingo3 - At the moment, these are the best data available. Biases could go either way. At present, this survey suggests you've got about 1 chance in 3 that something won't go wrong with a Zero. If reliability is an issue for you, then you probably need to think about this rather seriously.

Maybe some better data from elsewhere will emerge one day, but at the moment, this is what's known. Kudos to francesco for starting this process.

Peter
Pages: [1]